TSP (1 Viewer)

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I got an ATAR of 98.65 and a state rank in MX1. Any chance of getting into the TSP?

Also, when do you actually find out if you got in?

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
At USyd, you're only invited into TSP if you received an ATAR of 99 and above with a band 6 in any science subject. UNSW considers people with ATARs that are 95 and above. Of course, both unis will make exceptions and in your case you might get into USyd with a state rank in MX1 and an ATAR just below 99. You'll just have to wait and see.

I'm not sure when you find out. You should get this verified by someone who's in TSP.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I got an ATAR of 98.65 and a state rank in MX1. Any chance of getting into the TSP?

Also, when do you actually find out if you got in?
I presume you mean SSP (Special Studies Program), which is TSP, but for Mathematics.

Yes, you can get into TSP. There is an initial 'group interview' kinda process and you are selected from it initially. However, some people drop out or they want a few more numbers, so they do accept people who do not meet the 99+ ATAR cut-off, provided their Mathematics mark is good enough. Your State Rank in MX1 is something that would greatly act in your favour, but are there any extracurricular Mathematics events you have attended ie: ANU Camp, Westpac etc? The 99+ cutoff is mainly for TSP, though SSP requires 95+ in Extension 2 and/or great interest in the subject.

I missed my 'interview', and applied shortly afterwards, and was accepted. There is a form that you can acquire from the front office of the Science Faculty. It asks you the essentials like "Why do you want to join SSP" etc etc.

You can contact Daniel Daners here, who is the SSP Coordinator: http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/ut/people?who=D_Daners

You find out via an email that looks like this:

Capture.jpg
===============

Now, presuming I was mistaken and you wanted TSP (science based as opposed to Mathematics) instead of SSP.... you MAY still be able to get in because of the rank in MX1. If your science marks are generally around 93+, then that will help as well in your application.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
SSP is something you don't worry about until the day you start semester because you cannot formally enrol in it until then. What happens is that in the first year calculus lecture they will tell you to go to this meeting which involves learning what SSP is about and filling an application form. Typically band E4 in Maths Ext2 is sufficient for entry.

TSP on the other hand, is a bit harder to get into because the requirements are 99+ ATAR, band 6 in sciences and/or 95+ in Maths Ext2. Entry is typically by invitation.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
hmm alright. Thanks for the info! Now I'm seriously considering going to UNSW... :/

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm alright. Thanks for the info! Now I'm seriously considering going to UNSW... :/
it's good to keep in mind that UNSW's TSP is pretty much the same as USyd's SSP, but then TSP at USyd is different, more research-y stuff.

Also, to do TSP maths at UNSW you need 180+ in MX1 and MX2 and to do SSP maths at USyd you need 90+ in MX2 and 98.5+ ATAR.

And you got all of those things.

Yay!

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
it's good to keep in mind that UNSW's TSP is pretty much the same as USyd's SSP, but then TSP at USyd is different, more research-y stuff.

Also, to do TSP maths at UNSW you need 180+ in MX1 and MX2 and to do SSP maths at USyd you need 90+ in MX2 and 98.5+ ATAR.

And you got all of those things.

Yay!
Ahh right, in that case I'll probably still go to USYD - I wanted TSP for the research opportunities.

How come?
for dat dere TSP
Come to UNSW for TSP if you don't make it into the USYD TSP :p
UNSW's such a bitch to get to - train into the city and then a bus. Plus, USYD looks like hogwarts... can't beat that.

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh right, in that case I'll probably still go to USYD - I wanted TSP for the research opportunities.

for dat dere TSP

UNSW's such a bitch to get to - train into the city and then a bus. Plus, USYD looks like hogwarts... can't beat that.
Ahh true, but it's worth it imo. Hogwarts for me is like... meh.

Most of all consider the teaching for maths; USYD > UNSW in pure maths but in applied and stats, UNSW > USYD

jet

Banned
HSC

for dat dere TSP

There are always summer scholarship positions etc for research opportunities, many non-TSP students participate in those.

Also even if you don't get in during first year, I'm fairly sure if you have a decent SCIWAM you will get an invitation in second or third years.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
There are always summer scholarship positions etc for research opportunities, many non-TSP students participate in those.

Also even if you don't get in during first year, I'm fairly sure if you have a decent SCIWAM you will get an invitation in second or third years.
Yeah, true. I realise there's other pathways, it's just getting TSP in first year's the easiest, afaik.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, true. I realise there's other pathways, it's just getting TSP in first year's the easiest, afaik.
I missed out on the first round although I'll be eligible this year.

Personally, I found attempting to get a good ATAR considerably harder and less rewarding.

seanieg89

HSC
If you are still making up your mind, the women and the pure mathematics courses are both generally better at usyd, should be a no-brainer :p.

Zeroes

HSC
I just missed out as well - English was a bit of an ATAR killer. Oh well, fingers crossed for second year then.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
I just missed out as well - English was a bit of an ATAR killer. Oh well, fingers crossed for second year then.
Don't worry, aside from the social benefits of TSP my friends' projects all looked fairly bland.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry, aside from the social benefits of TSP my friends' projects all looked fairly bland.
oh yeah, the TSP kids are all in love with each other. It's grose.

But my friend said the project in first sem was pretty terribad and if you forget anything along the way your results are screwed. Ew.

She stayed overnight at uni with her group to finish it. Ew

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)