Tute satisfaction (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Phanatic said:
My tutor is awesome! He's so funny, witty, intellegent and engaging.
Cute, modest, endowed, attractive in blue, etc etc :p

lcf said:
*poaches*

If you are confused by your tutor, should you see a lecturer or course convenor or someone? I feel so awkward - I don't want to get on the bad side of anyone - especially people giving me marks -_
I'd move, if you can without trouble.

It sounds spineless, but in my experience, talking with the tutor creates a bad vibe, especially if they're not professional.

There's another class running at the same time, why not go to that?

If you don't like your tutor, it may be a recurring theme -- getting on top of it now is the answer; whether you address the issue, or move classes.

Sure there are things like 'Well I thought my tutor was shit, but it turned out he was awesome!', but you have to act with what you know now.

Phanatic

HSC
lcf said:
If you are confused by your tutor, should you see a lecturer or course convenor or someone? I feel so awkward - I don't want to get on the bad side of anyone - especially people giving me marks -_-
Well, depends on what you mean by "confused". If it's a problem with the course material, or something he's said in class, then you should definately arrange to clarify it - after the class (though tutors usually have to rush off to their next class so that's not ideal), or better yet, email your tutor. They should be more than happy to help you understand the concepts - it's part of their job.

I can't speak for others, but I can't really imagine anyone getting angry when students interjected and tried to participate. Hell, you guys and gals have a 10% participation mark! There are few things worse than sitting in a tutorial with that awkward silence.

But if it's your tutor's style that's making you miserable, you can also try and swap tutorials. This can usually happen up to Week 4, but the longer you leave it, the more problems you'll have, particularly since assessments can start early. It's also tricky to find a spot available - afternoon classes are usually less packed than lunch classes.

From the other side though, I feel obliged to say, you might want to cut your tutor some slack. Those classes with bad/no air-con, where everyone looks distracted and doesn't want to be there - they're a killer! Discussion and debate should happen in all subjects - MAS104 especially!

Ultimately though, tutorials are there for you. If you're not enjoying it for whatever reason, do something about it! It could be a simple misunderstanding from your tutor. Or it could be that something is really wrong, in which case get out! Don't sit through it and bear it, as it will just make your life miserable.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lcf
phanatic said it all. but i'll repeat anyway. if you're confused about tutorial work, it is best to contact your tutor, rather than the course convenor. the tutors are generally your first (and normally only, if you have a good tutor) point of contact when it comes to clarifying tutorial work. after the lesson can be good, if the tutor doesn't have to go anywhere. otherwise email. if you don't understand them, you can try the lecturer.

if you are confused about lecture work, who you go to really depends on the depth and how competent your tutor. if it's something simple, imo it's best to go to the tutor. if it's something specific, it's best to go to the lecturer. you can do this after the lecture or by email.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Take knife.

Take aforementioned knife and show tutor how things are done in the ghet-toe!

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
From the other side though, I feel obliged to say, you might want to cut your tutor some slack. Those classes with bad/no air-con, where everyone looks distracted and doesn't want to be there - they're a killer! Discussion and debate should happen in all subjects - MAS104 especially!
I agree - I think it is the room. Anyway, it really isn't a huge complaint, I guess I will give it a shot this week, put things forward and like try to generate discusson, but please don't be thinking i hate him, i don't - i have a lot of respect for him so it is nothing personal but meh - hopefully this is the week everythign clicks - and then i can say
EVERYTHIGN IS AWESOMNESS ABOUT MACQUARIE-NESS!!!

X

xeuyrawp

lcf said:
I agree - I think it is the room. Anyway, it really isn't a huge complaint, I guess I will give it a shot this week, put things forward and like try to generate discusson, but please don't be thinking i hate him, i don't - i have a lot of respect for him so it is nothing personal but meh - hopefully this is the week everythign clicks - and then i can say
EVERYTHIGN IS AWESOMNESS ABOUT MACQUARIE-NESS!!!
You really have to trust us when we say 'you need to resolve the issue now'. Trust us, a bad tutor is not good for your academic side, as well as your general enjoyment of uni.

^___^
HSC
PwarYuex said:
You really have to trust us when we say 'you need to resolve the issue now'. Trust us, a bad tutor is not good for your academic side, as well as your general enjoyment of uni.
yeah, theres a difference between a bad tutor, and a good tutor tutoring within a bad environment

but you can always check out other tutes (ie rocking up to other tute) and see how it goes

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
My name is Claire and I....have a tut problem. (Heh, yeah I know that was randon, I felt like I should be standing up at a group therapy session or something to confess this). Anyway, for an English subject I do, I'm having trouble with the way the tutor (who is the convenor) runs the class. I've had her before and the same things have happend. Sadly, moving into another tut is not an option, time wise.

Basically she doesn't push people to participate in discussion - there will be people who have only ever spoken to introduce themselves by the end of the semester. She doesn't get cranky if only 1/4 of the class have done all the readings, so eventually most people don't bother. She asks the class a question, everyone sits there dumbly untill myself or one or two others who speak up start to talk. Once there is some discussion happening with the four or so of us, the rest of the class starts taking notes from what we're saying.
This really annoys me - it's unfair that they don't make any effort to contribute to the ideas being put forward. I like (the sound of my own voice) talking about the books we're studying but I'm resentful of the silent members of the class and my tutor for not pushing people to speak up. It's a 300 level subject, it's not like everyone can still be new to the whole tut thing!

Wow..that was cathartic. And freaking long. Sorry bout that.

So..does anyone think I should talk to the tutor about this?

^___^
HSC
eh

do you guys in other faculty have a lisaon committee?? cos in ICS we have a liason committee where students rock up to a meeting and express concerns with their units..so try look for those if you have them..

hmm..otherwise, i guess you would have to talk to this tutor personally and ask what are her expectations of class participation...if it contradicts to the max..then yeah...we have a SERIOUS problem..but if she is really lenient on her marking, then i guess you can tell her you how you really feel*

*by "really feel", you say stuff like "ooooh, but I want the class to be more active :(, cos everytime it is <insert friend's name> and me that do all the talking, and i don't feel too well about it etc etc"

- L1n -

HSC
My econ 110 tutorial teachers sucks hard, real bad communicator, and gives real bad answer explanations. accg100 tutor is great. Busl tutor is great. Just econ, damn it.

H?

buddy
HSC
- L1n - said:
My econ 110 tutorial teachers sucks hard, real bad communicator, and gives real bad answer explanations. accg100 tutor is great. Busl tutor is great. Just econ, damn it.
Who do you have for Econ110? The serbian guy?

X

xeuyrawp

cpjeeves said:
My name is Claire and I....have a tut problem. (Heh, yeah I know that was randon, I felt like I should be standing up at a group therapy session or something to confess this). Anyway, for an English subject I do, I'm having trouble with the way the tutor (who is the convenor) runs the class. I've had her before and the same things have happend. Sadly, moving into another tut is not an option, time wise.

Basically she doesn't push people to participate in discussion - there will be people who have only ever spoken to introduce themselves by the end of the semester. She doesn't get cranky if only 1/4 of the class have done all the readings, so eventually most people don't bother. She asks the class a question, everyone sits there dumbly untill myself or one or two others who speak up start to talk. Once there is some discussion happening with the four or so of us, the rest of the class starts taking notes from what we're saying.
This really annoys me - it's unfair that they don't make any effort to contribute to the ideas being put forward. I like (the sound of my own voice) talking about the books we're studying but I'm resentful of the silent members of the class and my tutor for not pushing people to speak up. It's a 300 level subject, it's not like everyone can still be new to the whole tut thing!

Wow..that was cathartic. And freaking long. Sorry bout that.

So..does anyone think I should talk to the tutor about this?
Pretend you haven't done the readings for about a month. When she constantly looks over at you for an answer, shrug and just say 'Why bother doing the readings?' and look very confused as if readings for this class were optional.

Alternatively, don't speak at all in class. At all. If she asks you a direct question, just give a short answer that shows you've read the text. Otherwise, I'd just look down and doodle or something. You could be a real bitch and open up another subject's reader and just do that during class.

I'd do the latter, and get your friends to do it, too. Even the worst tutors won't be able to stand the silence.

X

xeuyrawp

... said:
yeah, theres a difference between a bad tutor, and a good tutor tutoring within a bad environment
Not really, both results in bad marks and a generally bad time.

Unless you like to be around a tutor for the sake of them being good (rather than you actually having a good time), I'd move.

iwannarock

HSC
for the people complaining that their tutor doesn't care if the class has done the reading.....well.......your at uni now you don't need some tutor to boss you around and tell you to do the readings and hold your hand. this isn't school......the tutor is not going to call your parents or give you a detention.

you have to take it upon yourself to do the readings. if people don't wannt do them thats their problem not the tutors. the other people in your tute don't have to do the readings if they don't want to. its not the tutors problem. just be happy that you get to talk a lot in the tute.

if i was in your position i'd think jackpot an easy tute to breeze through. but ofcourse.........i prefer not doing anywork and being lazy. ofcourse there are many consequences. poor marks being one of them.

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
Spot on iwannarock, the lazy people can still turn up to tutes regardless of whether they have intentions of contributing or not(unless it strictly stipifies class participation is a MUST), then you and the tutor really cannot do anything. (oh im not one of those lazy bludgy types nonono) ^^

But it really is quite stupid where the tutor asks a pretty straight forward question and no one answers...even I answer them if i really need to to avoid the tutor going gaga, and im really one of those sit in corner hope tute finishes quickly type.

X

xeuyrawp

iwannarock said:
for the people complaining that their tutor doesn't care if the class has done the reading.....well.......your at uni now you don't need some tutor to boss you around and tell you to do the readings and hold your hand. this isn't school......the tutor is not going to call your parents or give you a detention.

you have to take it upon yourself to do the readings. if people don't wannt do them thats their problem not the tutors. the other people in your tute don't have to do the readings if they don't want to. its not the tutors problem. just be happy that you get to talk a lot in the tute.

if i was in your position i'd think jackpot an easy tute to breeze through. but ofcourse.........i prefer not doing anywork and being lazy. ofcourse there are many consequences. poor marks being one of them.
Maybe my interpretation was different, but I think she was saying that other students take notes of her (and her friends') remarks.

And if you suggest that tutors shouldn't tell people off for not doing readings, you're wrong. For the very reason the cpjeeves mentioned, tutors should frown upon free-riders.

Good_riceZ said:
Spot on iwannarock, the lazy people can still turn up to tutes regardless of whether they have intentions of contributing or not(unless it strictly stipifies class participation is a MUST), then you and the tutor really cannot do anything.
No, the tutor should ensure that people who do their work aren't abused by people who don't.

If you actually read cpjeeves' post properly, you'll notice how the other students just take note of what she says.

I'd love to just listen to all the smart people in my class jabber on -- I could take notes of Austin's 3 main jurisprudencial points without even reading the 10 or so pages on it.

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
Well of course people try to take advantage of the all the work other 'smarter' people or just people who have done it studiously. But though I do not know the exact guidelines etc upon which tutors operate, I'm sure that they can only frown upon the leeching of information. Though I have seen people thrown out for 'disruptive' behaviour, so maybe some tutors just couldn't be bothered dealing with a class majority of leechers?

X

xeuyrawp

Good_riceZ said:
Well of course people try to take advantage of the all the work other 'smarter' people or just people who have done it studiously. But though I do not know the exact guidelines etc upon which tutors operate, I'm sure that they can only frown upon the leeching of information. Though I have seen people thrown out for 'disruptive' behaviour, so maybe some tutors just couldn't be bothered dealing with a class majority of leechers?
I've seen tutors overcome issues of readings in lots of different ways to simply punishing the students.

I think, each lesson, assigning one, two, or three students a lesson to talk about next week's readings is the best. You could even make them stand up the front of the class, and make them compare what they've read so far with what they read for the lesson. At the end, students should ask questions...

I can't think of anything worse than standing up infront of 20 people to only say 'I haven't done the 10 pages of readings this week...'

There's no better way to teach someone to shoot than by firing at their feet. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)