Tute satisfaction (1 Viewer)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
CieL said:
Well believe it or not..

There was some guy in my class who believed (and still does) "zero" is smaller than "negative 11.44"
it can be sometimes.. like distance, -11.44 is further than 0. depends i guess on the context.

CieL

HSC
HotShot said:
it can be sometimes.. like distance, -11.44 is further than 0. depends i guess on the context.
-11.44 is clearly a negative. No absolute values as you were suggesting.

Anyways.. I had my first BBA103 Tute today.. It was awful.. I couldn't understand what the tutor was saying (she was speaking weird english) and most of the times she just blabbed on about crap.

eg. If orange juice increased in price, would apple juice increase in price too?
Then people were like, no.. and then suddenly she's like out of nowhere, talking about medical reports on apple juice saying it's high in sugar so people will still buy orange juice despite the price. Then some chick was like, "what if it only involves price?" and the tutor's like, "Good question".. when it was actually the original Q in the first place

SIGHHHHHH I can't take this.. and she was revealing her pot all throughout the lesson..

iwannarock

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Maybe my interpretation was different, but I think she was saying that other students take notes of her (and her friends') remarks.

And if you suggest that tutors shouldn't tell people off for not doing readings, you're wrong. For the very reason the cpjeeves mentioned, tutors should frown upon free-riders.

No, the tutor should ensure that people who do their work aren't abused by people who don't.

If you actually read cpjeeves' post properly, you'll notice how the other students just take note of what she says.

I'd love to just listen to all the smart people in my class jabber on -- I could take notes of Austin's 3 main jurisprudencial points without even reading the 10 or so pages on it.
oh i see....

so thats what its all about. these freeloaders. i still don't understand how it bothers cpjeeves. how are these freeloaders affecting her other than "ohhh im doing all the work and their just leeching".

thats what a tute is for. to learn. for these people thats probably the only way they pass. if you don't wanna help the lazy people then don't you can just sit there and not say anything. i didn't know uni got so competitive that people actually cared about not letting the lazy people learning too much from them.

if i were cpjeeves i would continue in the tute as normal. if she's usually outspoken in tutes why change? to teach freeloaders a lesson?....thats childish.

X

xeuyrawp

iwannarock said:
i didn't know uni got so competitive that people actually cared about not letting the lazy people learning too much from them.
I make the distinction between learning and marks.

I'd love to help everyone in the world to learn, but what's the point on being marked if you're all the same?

Personally, I hate people who scam shit off me.

It would be like me going up to you and taking your money. I didn't know life got so competitive that you'd actually care if I abused your generosity?

if she's usually outspoken in tutes why change? to teach freeloaders a lesson?....thats childish
It has nothing to do with principles, morality, or anything of that nature. It's a totally practical approach - she does work and gets the info, they just listen and get the info. They are abusing the situation for information.

Edit: Actually, iwannarock. I'm lazy. Please post up all your assignments for me. Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
But you know people who don't do their own work don't get the marks in the exams anyway so why care? Doing your own work is the difference between a P and a HD, most of the time.

I used to hate it when people 'scammed' off me, moreso at school, at uni I haven't cared as much because it's reflected in their marks.

I am taking the comments on board for myself in tutes, because they are interesting. I'm quiet in tutes but a lot of the time it's because I'm quiet anyway, I genuinely don't have anything to say, louder people jump in before me with the same points, I doubt my own notes or I feel like I am repeating exactly what was said in the lecture (not adding anything new or important). I never thought other people might consider my behaviour as rude, unfair or abusing the situation and I definitely don't mean for it to be taken badly, as it seems the people who contribute a lot have taken similar behaviour.

All people are quick to judge but a lot of the time it's a lot more complicated than what is on the surface - "they want to steal all my points." Everyone has a different personality that you have to add to the equation.

Last edited:

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
iwannarock said:
if i were cpjeeves i would continue in the tute as normal. if she's usually outspoken in tutes why change? to teach freeloaders a lesson?....thats childish.
Not trying to teach anyone a "lesson" .
I'd like to have a proper discussion with more than 4 people (out a class of 20) on a topic I'm very interested in. That's the point of tutorials in this unit. The tut "as normal" is frustrating and of very little benefit to anyone.

iwannarock

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I make the distinction between learning and marks.

I'd love to help everyone in the world to learn, but what's the point on being marked if you're all the same?

Personally, I hate people who scam shit off me.

It would be like me going up to you and taking your money. I didn't know life got so competitive that you'd actually care if I abused your generosity?

It has nothing to do with principles, morality, or anything of that nature. It's a totally practical approach - she does work and gets the info, they just listen and get the info. They are abusing the situation for information.

Edit: Actually, iwannarock. I'm lazy. Please post up all your assignments for me. Thanks. :)
again she doesn't have to give that info.

and your money argument is not the same. it'd only make sense if i was offering the money or just throwing it everywhere. they're not going to cpjeeves' books and stealing the notes. they're writing notes on what she is saying.

and if you do any law subjects i'd gladly send you my assignments. ofcourse they're not up to your standard so i don't think i should bother unless you want a whole bunch of credit essays.

the people scaming are not beating your marks or learning more than the people that actually do the reading. very rarely will a scamer beat a hardworker. its the difference between a p and a distinction. and how do they scam stuff off you? similar situation to cpjeeves? i hardly think a couple of scribbled notes made in a tute is gonna help them much compared to actually doing the readings.

i would not get through law if it wasn't for MJ or scarecrow answering all my stupid questions on this board come assignment time. you would see it as me scamming them.......i see it as them helping me out. your a hardworker i'm a "scammer" we have different views

iwannarock

HSC
cpjeeves said:
Not trying to teach anyone a "lesson" .
I'd like to have a proper discussion with more than 4 people (out a class of 20) on a topic I'm very interested in. That's the point of tutorials in this unit. The tut "as normal" is frustrating and of very little benefit to anyone.
well you should bring it up with your fellow classmates.

ask them why they don't do their work.

or recommend tute presentation style assessments or something i dunno.

i still think its the students causing the problem not the tutor.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Find their addresses and slit their throats in their sleep :eek:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
CieL said:
eg. If orange juice increased in price, would apple juice increase in price too?
Then people were like, no.. and then suddenly she's like out of nowhere, talking about medical reports on apple juice saying it's high in sugar so people will still buy orange juice despite the price. Then some chick was like, "what if it only involves price?" and the tutor's like, "Good question".. when it was actually the original Q in the first place
I remember BBA103! Sounds like you've got the same tutor as I did! Gotta look through what she's saying to what she's trying to teach, rather than just being taught what she's saying. ...so that makes it a little more difficult than normal. In the above circumstances I suppose they're trying to teach you about elasticity of demand and substitute goods -- whether a price rise in something will result in a significant drop in demand, and/or a rise in demand for another...

iwannarock said:
well you should bring it up with your fellow classmates... ask them why they don't do their work... or recommend tute presentation style assessments or something i dunno.

(Excuse me if this's been said) Social pressure's a great thing to get people moving, but it should be the tutor doing that, in my opinion. I'd go to the coordinator and ask to change into a more interactive tute becuase you enjoy the subject, and it just doesn't happen in the current one.

Last edited:

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
Skittled said:
Social pressure's a great thing to get people moving, but it should be the tutor doing that, in my opinion. I'd go to the coordinator and ask to change into a more interactive tute becuase you enjoy the subject, and it just doesn't happen in the current one.
Yeah, I do think the tutor should make people participate,ie ask a direct question to one person who hasn't talked yet. I've been in a few tuts that were like this one at first until the tutor laid down the law and said she expected everyone to have prepared for class and be able to show it.
I would ask to transfer, but annoingly my tutor is the convenor and I can't move into another tut cos I work a lot.
Ah well, I'll live. It's better than my cul studies tut last year so I guess I should just be thankful that it's not worse.

X

xeuyrawp

iwannarock said:
again she doesn't have to give that info.
*sigh* I really don't care, but can you read it again? She says that 1. she talks and 2. people take notes. It's in her nature to talk, she's a smart cookie, and people constantly take notes of what she says. She says that these people don't contribute at all, and that she and her friends are the only ones doing it.

and your money argument is not the same. it'd only make sense if i was offering the money or just throwing it everywhere.
Yes it is. Because of the nature of herself and her environment, she talks. It would be presumptiuous to just say 'don't talk at all', as the tutorials are meant to encourage discussion.

they're not going to cpjeeves' books and stealing the notes. they're writing notes on what she is saying.
That would imply that she's in the wrong by speaking. She's not.

i hardly think a couple of scribbled notes made in a tute is gonna help them much compared to actually doing the readings.
It would help me... If there were three main points of a historian that I had to know, I suppose I could read 30 pages, or I could just scribble a few sentences.

i would not get through law if it wasn't for MJ or scarecrow answering all my stupid questions on this board come assignment time. you would see it as me scamming them.......i see it as them helping me out. your a hardworker i'm a "scammer" we have different views
Well firstly, I'd hope that most people saw each other here as 'friends' rather than 'classmates'.

Secondly, MJ would ask you something in return if she needed help, on a sort of quid pro basis. Jeeves doesn't mention the classmates helping her.

Lastly, you're supposed to participate in tutorials - it's part of the learning process and it's part of unit requirements. Noone has to come here.

I think that people can still be pretty immature even at uni. The tutor is supposed to direct the class in a way to avoid this. In any case, isn't this a moot point? Whether it's the tutor or the students, the class is bad.

skittled said:
(Excuse me if this's been said) Social pressure's a great thing to get people moving, but it should be the tutor doing that, in my opinion.
Exactemundo.

I'm not paying $800 to have some sucker sit at the front of the class and just ignore what happens.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Haha in one of my tutes last week i go so frustrated so when no one was talking and i had just spent basically the whole first half talking... just me and this one other girl to be more precise... Anyway the tutors asked a question/discussion was brought forward and everyone just sat there AGAIN so i go ok fine ill talk again even though im sick of my own voice and im going to talk shit but hey its either you guys listen to me talking shit for the whole hour or someone else can speak. Your choice. And i kept talking and then eventually other people started too. Lets see if this keeps up haha.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
MAS 203 ? Man my tute is overcrowded and hot and shit :(

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
hahaha how did you guess. Im extremely close to saying something in one of my cul units.

My tute is ok size wise but it is full of asians who dont speak english (sorry to sound like a bitch) and a few other people who just refuse to participate.

Thing is, ok im making myself out to sound like one of those people who dont shut up in tutes and think they know everything etc etc you know the ones that you just want to shut the hell up and give someone else a chance to talk. But im not, i know i know shit but i just cant stand silence, and if there is silence, and it gets awkward and boring i have to speak.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hmm, I wonder if it's too late, which class is it? I hate my class :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Arghh!! Wait..I meant MAS 208 haha, nevermind :p

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Not that i do 208 but im pretty sure it is too late because i hate all of mine and i had been trying since uni started but none ever had an places at times that suited me and then i tried again last week and i couldnt even find the option :(

guess we just have to suffer.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ahh damn, my 203 is awesome, I quite love it, my 208 is dodgy like, its cool that people apart from geeks enrolled in Multimedia are doing it, but its shit when we're talking about geeky stuff, and they got no idea what we're talking about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)