Tutorials- That first day (1 Viewer)

David27

Everybody is so timid and scared when it comes to the those first tutes. The getting to know you stuff is also an eye opener in the very first tutes. Going round the room, saying your name etc seems akin to teeth pulling for most.
In a sociology unit, the tutor asked people to name their favourite TV program for some inexplicable reason.
90% said "Friends" & "Sex In The City".
I withdrew from that tutorial the next day!.
UNSW Intro to Film unit.
Student: Why don't they talk in silent films?
I slide further and further down my chair with that one.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
ahahahahah
well i guess it's comforting to know that not everyone is going to turn up the first day knowing stacks more than me
and don't be so judgemental.. maybe people watch those shows to errm analyse society's reponse to errm something :confused: :rolleyes:

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
haha i remember those first tutes. its usually the 'go around the room and introduce yourself, what degree your doing and little somethign about yourself'.

or if the tutor is feel rather risky, he/she would spilt you up into small groups, get you talking for a few minutes, then get you to introduce someone else in your group to the rest of the tute class. sounds like fun eh? and then as soon as you leave the room at the end of the hour, you immediately forget everyone's name.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I HATE where they ask u to mingle with ppl around u in the 1st tute, then introduce ur new "friend" to the class

last session I had to introduce someone with a weird name, so by the time the tutor got to me, I was like "hi..this is err..um..her..shes from Malaysia"

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
damn, I missed out on all this tutorial fun last year, i only went to tutes for one subject first semester last year, and all we did was work - no mingling

Dingo

Banned
oh boy
dat sux, i hope they dont have that gay kindergarten bullshit in B business
im shy

peace^^

Last edited:

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
turning up drunk to a tute is always an icebreaker

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
last session I had to introduce someone with a weird name, so by the time the tutor got to me, I was like "hi..this is err..um..her..shes from Malaysia"
Is it like we have to do it every SEMESTER? :confused:

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by evilc
turning up drunk to a tute is always an icebreaker
hahaha
not if you're the only one drunk.
no, not at all.

..but i think going for drinks is always an icebreaker, getting to know uni people outside of a uni situation

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
well i talked to more people than usual in that tute

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
haha i'm not saying that it's bad, it was heaps of fun for me but i think people just thought i was really, really weird..

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
well it was autonomy day (newcastle uni's big piss up day) and we started drinking at 5am, and the maths tute was at 9, id had about 13 drinks before it so i was too drunk to care if anyone thought i was a dickhead or not

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
ohhh alright that's a different story, i was just by myself (cos my other friends who drank with me do diff courses) but fuck 13 drinks, that's paralytic drunk for me, i couldn't do that at uni!

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
i was pretty shattered....i dont think i will do it again

Dingo

Banned
so basically the friends you make at uni are from your tutorials?
like they are equivalent to your high school classes right?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
No, they don't have to be. The bulk of my friends weren't in my tutorials for the whole year. Only a handful were.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
wtf we didn't have any tutes like this!
We jumped straight into work, no friendly intos, no nothing. Me and my friends were actually wishing we could have played some getting to know you games...they seem horribly lame and in high school, but in UNI when you know no-one they suddenly seem strangely appealing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)