Tutoring? (1 Viewer)

Thoughts on tutoring?

• Tutoring is my life, I have more than 1 tutor.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Casual basis, couple hours a week. I am not a study machine.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I find it really helps my school work. Better off by doing it.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Yeah I go, dont\' really want to be there, parents made me.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Nope never have, never will. Don\'t need too

Votes: 20 32.3%

• Total voters

bellicoseboy

I go to ask questions that school teachers are too fat to be able to explain. I figure and hour of tutoring is more effective than an hour of study.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I tutor a few students as a casual job ($20 p/h). There are two in Y12 doing 2u maths and one in Y9 doing advanced maths.

A personal rule of mine is to discontinue tutoring someone if I feel they're not getting much out of it (or if they frustrate me too much). The most effective way to get the most out of tutoring is to have a big list of questions that you want to ask or don't know how to do, or a topic that you want to have explained to you again, or something along those lines. Don't sit there and expect the tutor to work some kind of magic on you. Nor should you be letting them simply give you exercises to do - pointless, waste of money, you can do that yourself.

Take a proactive interest in your learning and make use of available resources. I found myself a physics tutor after my trial exams last year, and I told him that all I wanted him to do was to create tricky (yet possible) exam questions for me. I would solve them in my own time and then we would work through those I wasn't sure of or simply had no idea about. For physics, the main thing I had trouble with was the extreme pedanticism that's involved when phrasing an explanation (mainly to do with emf and induction and so on).

Anyway, tutoring works if you realise that you essentially have an entire memory bank of knowledge at your disposal - but it'll only be unlocked when you decide to access it.

Christine

beige member
HSC
i have 2 and a half hrs of italian tuition a week ($100) and up until half way through this yr i had english tuition since yr 9.

i was soo bad at maths when i was younger i had a tutor from yr 5 until yr 10....

in my experience it works!!!

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
Originally posted by Lazarus
I tutor a few students as a casual job ($20 p/h). There are two in Y12 doing 2u maths and one in Y9 doing advanced maths.

A personal rule of mine is to discontinue tutoring someone if I feel they're not getting much out of it (or if they frustrate me too much). The most effective way to get the most out of tutoring is to have a big list of questions that you want to ask or don't know how to do, or a topic that you want to have explained to you again, or something along those lines. Don't sit there and expect the tutor to work some kind of magic on you. Nor should you be letting them simply give you exercises to do - pointless, waste of money, you can do that yourself.
damnz..! ur scaarrryy...and intimidating..!
i wouldn't want u as my tutor if i had one! hehehe :D or mayb i'd jus frustrate u too much...and u'd discontinue tutoring me :D

but how can u discontinue tutoring someone.. thats harsh!!

anyways hmm.. i'll b quiet now :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by lazychic
but how can u discontinue tutoring someone.. thats harsh!!
I think it would be more harsh if you continued to be paid for tutoring them when they aren't getting anything out of it.

If they frustrate me, I can't teach as efficiently, which means they don't get what they're paying for. I don't just decide that someone is frustrating 'on a whim', as you seem to have suggested - my frustration stems from their unwillingness to try, and/or the blatant disregard of things I tell them.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
They usually each like one hour per week... but I often end up spending two or three hours with the Y12 students.

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
Originally posted by Lazarus
I think it would be more harsh if you continued to be paid for tutoring them when they aren't getting anything out of it.

If they frustrate me, I can't teach as efficiently, which means they don't get what they're paying for. I don't just decide that someone is frustrating 'on a whim', as you seem to have suggested - my frustration stems from their unwillingness to try, and/or the blatant disregard of things I tell them.
awwwww....how considerate :D

so so... r u scarry and intimidating?? hehe.. jus curious thats all :p

ice_cream

would i be "weird" if i say i don't do tutoring at all?
i mean not permanent once a week kind of thing......

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Originally posted by SkAnDi

The majority of my school i would say actively do tutoring/used to go to tutoring. I really can't name any "asian" at my school who DOESNT go to tutoring actually. Seems to be a big thing in that crowd.

I can name several asians at your school who doesn't go to tutoring.

Personally, I don't see the point in it. Why spend all that money on tutoring when you can rock up to whatever faculty and ask for help in a subject. They'll help if you ask them. If you need more practice questions, then buy a $30 textbook or visit sites like BOS. Have some faith in your teachers, most of them aren't that bad (except for Payne)

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
Originally posted by user

Personally, I don't see the point in it. Why spend all that money on tutoring when you can rock up to whatever faculty and ask for help in a subject. They'll help if you ask them. If you need more practice questions, then buy a $30 textbook or visit sites like BOS. Have some faith in your teachers, most of them aren't that bad (except for Payne)
ur DAMN rite!!!!

i'm wit ya on that.. :D :D

:chainsaw:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

boycalledfox

i never have, but i'm considering one for english in these last few weeks... maybe economics aswell.

Sarah J

HSC
I've never had tutoring. I've always wanted one, but after the bad experience my brother had my parents refuse to fork out any money for me. When he was in year 12 he went to tutoring for maths and they'd give him a text book and a tape to listen to. how nice, for $300 a month. :mad1:

But it seems too late to get one now. Is it?

asymptote

Go to Pre uni

Originally posted by InfiniteQ
I just have one for 3u maths 'n its $35 for an hour once a week... he's really good plus my school teacher is just uff... doing what my school teacher told me to do positioned me 8th 'n doing things my tutor's way positioned me 1st...I understand his method of teaching much more.

I dont' understand how people say they don't "believe" in tuition. It's not a religious faith thing in that you believe in it or not, it can really help as luigi said if you've got shit teachers etc..

I'm lookin for a Physics one at the moment...anyone know of someone good 'n relatively cheap? :D
u could go to Pre uni in homebush bay if ur starting yr 12 now. its cool. $30 for 1.5 hr

Fi

Tutoring sux if you're not interested.
The SMH had an article once that totally rejected the idea that tutoring allows students to get better marks. In fact, it argued that students end up doing alot worse in their end of year exams.

However, it pointed out that it does help students get into selective schools.

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
i have to disagree with that article
the effectiveness of tutoring depends on why you're receiving it.
for example if the teaching at your school is inadequate or you have difficulty grasping a concept, i believe tutoring could be very beneficial
in those instances however when an individual understands the theory of a subject and is already working to their full mental ability, tutoring is unecessary if not detrimental to their academic performance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)