Tutoring (1 Viewer)

Baremy

HSC
Do you guys think there are subjects that don't need tutoring in my honest opinion biology and business studies are all memory orientated, unlike maths where you apply formulas to all calculations and such...

What are you opinions on this?

Last edited:

leungz

HSC
Well for me I tutor 2 hours of Advanced and Extension 1 English and since i dropped to General Maths dont need tutor.

I dont think u need tutor for any subject unless u need specific help with English aka take advantage over other students in the couse.

I do recommend taking maths tutor for 2 unit, since my former class everybody had a tutor

Good luck

2010 HSC
Advanced English
Extension 1 English
General Maths
Ancient & Modern & Extension History
Economics
Business Studies

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
maths maybe as practice is key
also english as essays, techniques, text types and shit

not for science, espesh bio, which isnt a real science lets face it

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly imo, tutoring is usually a waste of time for most subjects

Maths, Physics and Chem.. tutoring you should consider [not sure about Chem]

It's important that you get maths tutoring early.. and not year 11 and 12.. it's vital that you establish the fundamentals

English? just requires a LOT of hardwork.. i do English tutoring, forced by my parents, but i find it generally to be useless

jet

Banned
HSC
No subject needs tutoring.

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
also, theres the almost extremely likely chance that youre gonna do jack all at tutoring anyway and hence just wasting money

elmoateme

HSC
None, especially not Maths or English. If you are having trouble, drop down to a lower level or pull your finger out of your arse. You can get practice from the plethora of resources in the internet eg boredofstudies. So it isnt as if you need tutoring for practice. I mean if you are sick or go on holidays for awhile and need to catch up thats understandable, or if you want to accelerate you can do that yourself for any subject.

I do recommend taking maths tutor for 2 unit, since my former class everybody had a tutor
hahaha. Thats the most illogical reason to get tutoring ever. And also, maths is pretty much just memorising, you just have to know what formula goes with what question. Or just figuring it out, remember your tutor doesn't sit next to you when you're doing the exam.

Of course, in some situations it's necessary, but mostly any problems can be solved by just actually doing the work and paying attention in class.

jet

Banned
HSC
don't let the parents of the kids you tutor know that ;)

:p
Lol. What I meant was that it is not necessary that any subject requires its students to be tutored. It is, however, a helpful resource for those who need it.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
^ so true
its certainly personal ruling
you don't go for tutoring for a subject you pwn at already, vice versa

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Honestly imo, tutoring is usually a waste of time for most subjects

Maths, Physics and Chem.. tutoring you should consider [not sure about Chem]
Agree, but probably not chem or even math.

I wonder if anyone was silly enough to get tutors for subjects like IPT, Visual Arts, drama, PDHPE, Food tech or Hospitality... :p

ValentinesM

HSC
here's my view of tutoring:
schools usually teach at a slow pace so that there's often very limited time to revise a concept and master it. this is especially true for maths and chemistry. i know that quite a few schools end up rushing to finish the syllabus towards the trials. this causes a lot of unnecessary stress for the students and students find that the concepts are not covered in sufficient detail.

learning the concepts early for maths and chem is certainly a huge advantage. also, although the classes are very small in number (<25), throughout the year, there was always a long queue of people with questions to ask the teachers and quite often, you don't get to ask the question.

furthermore, another advantage with tutors, especially recent graduates is that they can give you tips which you don't get from teachers.

don't forget the flexibility, 100% attention and focus on individual's needs which you get from private tutoring, and yes, you do need a tutor who is dedicated, responsible and approachable.

good luck

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Do you guys think there are subjects that don't need tutoring in my honest opinion biology and business studies are all memory orientated, unlike maths where you apply formulas to all calculations and such...

What are you opinions on this?
Another year, another bitch about tutoring. Anyway back on topic, it depends how good you are at the subject. You may think that some subjects such as Business Studies or Biology don't need tutoring - fair enough.

You may also think that some subjects like maths needs tutoring, however some people who are good at maths may think that doesn't need tutoring.

In my honest opinion it depends on you. If you feel like you need it and you can afford it, go ahead and find yourself a tutor. Also if you feel like you need Mathematics, Physics or Business Studies tutoring, read my signature :p

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Another year, another bitch about tutoring. Anyway back on topic, it depends how good you are at the subject. You may think that some subjects such as Business Studies or Biology don't need tutoring - fair enough.

You may also think that some subjects like maths needs tutoring, however some people who are good at maths may think that doesn't need tutoring.

In my honest opinion it depends on you. If you feel like you need it and you can afford it, go ahead and find yourself a tutor. Also if you feel like you need Mathematics, Physics or Business Studies tutoring, read my signature :p
+1 on all accounts

As i have said in my previous posts:
Tutoring is good if you want to get ahead, solidify your knowledge, make sure you're learning the right things or need someone "forcing you" to do your work.

Otherwise, if you've got good teachers and are willing + able to teach yourself it isn't needed.

jet

Banned
HSC
Or you can come on here for people to force you. I've been getting pressure from Namu all year! :p

jet

Banned
HSC
Force me to work plox.
You better get 99.95 ATAR and first in state in at least two subjects or I'll get Namu on your case!

+ see my sig. It seriously kills.

what!

HSC
maths tutoring is a waste of time if you have a good teacher. maths = practice. thats pretty much the only way to get good marks, even if you are a genius. maths tutor basically just keep giving you past papers + questions from random places. if you ask and look around -friends, BoS etc its not that hard. when you have questions just ask your school teacher:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)