TV as second monitor. (1 Viewer)

HoCo8

HSC
Thinking of setting up a tv in my room for my xbox and act as a second, larger, monitor for my computer. Thinking of connecting them via HDMI, would this be the best way?

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
HoCo8 said:
Thinking of setting up a tv in my room for my xbox and act as a second, larger, monitor for my computer. Thinking of connecting them via HDMI, would this be the best way?
Does your tv have a hdmi port?
Does your video card support HDMI?

If 'yes' for both. Then go ahead, its the best possible solution with superior video and sound quality.

HoCo8

HSC
TV yes. But not sure about video card a Nvidia Gefore 6800, would anyone else know? But laptop has a HDMI port whats the point of that without a compatible video card....

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
HoCo8 said:
TV yes. But not sure about video card a Nvidia Gefore 6800, would anyone else know? But laptop has a HDMI port whats the point of that without a compatible video card....
6800 probably not. But why connect via HDMI when a HDMI tv should have a DVI adapter to connect to your computer?

Ie; the adapter you use to connect monitor and video card, u should be able to use to connect TV and video card.

http://www.highdefforum.com/computers-htpcs/80309-hdmi-video-card.html

5 seconds of googling.

Last edited:

bigb0yjames

HSC
how big is the screen? and waht sthe resolution....coz how are you going to read the writing on the screen...it will be like boxes everywhere

SmRandmAzn

Banned
HSC
bigb0yjames said:
how big is the screen? and waht sthe resolution....coz how are you going to read the writing on the screen...it will be like boxes everywhere
lol if it's some low resolution thing...I wouldn't really call using TV as a secondary display practical

Reeweee

HSC
Dont be stupid, get another HDCP 22" 24" moniter not a tv.

moeycq

b0$$
HSC
Dont be stupid, get another HDCP 22" 24" moniter not a tv.
This

also make sure your gfx card will support it.. im thinking of setting a CRT as a second work monitor connected.

greekgun

HSC
y not get a data projector instead?
nah jking but those things are shit if u want a projector u should only buy the big triple barral ones which can projects perfectly (well not perfectly but still fair good with lights on.).

But getting a TV for ur room for ur xbox/normal tv stuff/computer is the best thing u can do. I have a 46" lcd which i use for tv/computer use but the novelty of it wears off.
Most lcd's have a DB15 connection (like a normal computer screen connection) so u can plug it in straight away without worrying about HDMI etc). This way u can have ur comp plugged into the DB15 (i think its db15 im not too sure) connection and the xbox360 into the HDMI.
However if u want both through the HDMI u will need to buy a spiltter HDMI cable so u can alternate between the comp and xbox when u want to use one or the other or u could just unplug the one u dont want to use and plug in the one u do want to use.
And i guess if ur tv doesnt have HDMI u can connect the xbox via video connections and computer via s-video or vga.

But on second thought, who seriously has the money for an lcd in their room (the only reason i have is because my bought a new tv and gave me his one for some reason) so maybe u should just by an average size screen? totally up 2 u though.

Last edited:

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
nah jking but those things are shit if u want a projector u should only buy the big triple barral ones which can projects perfectly (well not perfectly but still fair good with lights on.).

But getting a TV for ur room for ur xbox/normal tv stuff/computer is the best thing u can do. I have a 46" lcd which i use for tv/computer use but the novelty of it wears off.
Most lcd's have a DB15 connection (like a normal computer screen connection) so u can plug it in straight away without worrying about HDMI etc). This way u can have ur comp plugged into the DB15 (i think its db15 im not too sure) connection and the xbox360 into the HDMI.
However if u want both through the HDMI u will need to buy a spiltter HDMI cable so u can alternate between the comp and xbox when u want to use one or the other or u could just unplug the one u dont want to use and plug in the one u do want to use.
And i guess if ur tv doesnt have HDMI u can connect the xbox via video connections and computer via s-video or vga.

But on second thought, who seriously has the money for an lcd in their room (the only reason i have is because my bought a new tv and gave me his one for some reason) so maybe u should just by an average size screen? totally up 2 u though.
My TV has 3 HDMI ports lol.
Also i only have an LCD Tv (using it as a monitor) is because there was a Samsung Deal, buy any 46 inch LCD FULL HD TV and get a 19inch LCD TV.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC

My TV has 3 HDMI ports lol.
Also i only have an LCD Tv (using it as a monitor) is because there was a Samsung Deal, buy any 46 inch LCD FULL HD TV and get a 19inch LCD TV free

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)