• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Typical Aussies Ruin Australia (1 Viewer)

malkin86

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I get it, I just don't find it funny - it isn't subtle, its more like common sense.

there are much better satires out there
I agree with you that it's more of a common sense feel and that there are better satires out there... it's just that supercharged seemed to think that Kath and Kim was a doco.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
malkin86 said:
I agree with you that it's more of a common sense feel and that there are better satires out there... it's just that supercharged seemed to think that Kath and Kim was a doco.
Basically every Australian movie made bar Looking for Alibrandi, is set in the dusty outback and filled with actors delivering their lines with crude, feral westie hobo accents :rolleyes: How unrepresentative of modern Sydney is that?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
supercharged said:
Basically every Australian movie made bar Looking for Alibrandi, is set in the dusty outback and filled with actors delivering their lines with crude, feral westie hobo accents :rolleyes: How unrepresentative of modern Sydney is that?
Define Australian made? Could the Matrix be considered to be Australian made?

It was filmed in Sydney and is a co-production of Warner Brothers and Australian Village Roadshow Pictures.

The Castle was set in Melbourne :p

malkin86

HSC
supercharged said:
bolded for emphasis - why is it that Sydney is the whole of Australia in some people's minds?

When an Australian goes OS, I've heard that a Sydneysider will say that they're from Australia, whereas an Australian from other regions will say that they're from Melbourne, or Queensland, or Perth.

This could be said to be the arrogance of people from Sydney assuming that Sydney comprises of the whole of Australia, or at least the part that is relevant/best.

2sense

The disorderly drunk
HSC
No. Typical Australian are what makes Australia.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
cerebrum said:
Its really difficult to get my point across.... sorry about that. Some australians just say really informal things. "oi, oi oi, aussie, aussie aussie", its just not right. Although we don't need to be formal people, but we don't want to be potrayed like that.
Speak for yourself. Im quite fond of the whole aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi thing.
Gets on into the spirit of things.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
supercharged said:

Why should Australian flicks represent JUST modern Sydney? Sydney is but a small section of Australia abeit with a large proportion of the population. The fact that so many Sydneysiders seem to believe Australia revolves around them and that the world ends at Penrith reflects nothing more than their ignorance - and their arrogance for their belief that they are all that encompasses Australia. It's sad that even today with all our technology that the Great Dividing Range remains as much a barrier as it ever was.

Also, I suggest you look up on recent Australian flicks if all you've seen is dusty outback movies - even if a massive proportion of Australia is indeed outback or rural towns rather than Sydney. Get out and see Australia..

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
LadyBec said:
Speak for yourself. Im quite fond of the whole aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi thing.
Gets on into the spirit of things.
I love it too - gets you all fired up, esspecially if you're playing competitive sport.

Also, I say 'mate' and 'g'day' all the time, and fail to see anything wrong with it.

K

katie_tully

supercharged said:
In response to the original post of "typical aussies ruin AUST"
I agree if "typical aussies" = stereotypical illiterate crocodile dundee, kath and kim types.
Is it somehow "un"Australian to speak correct english?
You may be interested to know that the typical aussie, the stereotypical crocodile dundee, illiterate kath/kim style person is the reason Australia was and is such a tourist hot spot. Americans and Europeans come to Australia because they admire the 'laid back' spirit of Australian lifestyle, and the easy go attitude of the average Australian.

How then, may I ask, is the average Australian 'ruining' Australia? Are you implying that we should forget the Australian mythic which has, and always will be linked to the 'average bogan Australian' attitude and language?

Should we move towards a more formal 'English' language, adopt more "civilised" attitudes?

Tell me, if I told you tomorrow that you had to get rid of your culture and had to conform to another one because yours is crap and is 'ruining' something, would you resent me?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I'm going out on a limb when I say this, but his culture is ruining Hong Kong and Tibet :eek:.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
You may be interested to know that the typical aussie, the stereotypical crocodile dundee, illiterate kath/kim style person is the reason Australia was and is such a tourist hot spot. Americans and Europeans come to Australia because they admire the 'laid back' spirit of Australian lifestyle, and the easy go attitude of the average Australian.

How then, may I ask, is the average Australian 'ruining' Australia? Are you implying that we should forget the Australian mythic which has, and always will be linked to the 'average bogan Australian' attitude and language?

Should we move towards a more formal 'English' language, adopt more "civilised" attitudes?

Tell me, if I told you tomorrow that you had to get rid of your culture and had to conform to another one because yours is crap and is 'ruining' something, would you resent me?
Hardly, I'm just promoting the "educated" articulate Australian culture as opposed to the pidgin english "living out in the sticks, welcome to hicktown, population 34" culture. Why should being Australian in anyway equate to having poor literacy skills?

Btw, Most tourists come to Australia because of the environmental attractions (Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest, Ayres Rock, plentiful beaches, Blue Mountains, unique wildlife, nice sunshine etc) and to see famous landmarks such as the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. Without the above, I seriously doubt how supposedly encouraging "laid back", "illiterate" or "bogan" culture would help bring in the tourists. laid back in reality = unemployed and povo.

Last edited:
G

Gavvvvvin

Since when does living in a remote area make you uneducated?

Fuck you just keep getting stupider every time you post.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
It doesn't necessarily mean that, regardless I'm sure there would still be a greater % of people with PhD qualifications in urban areas rather than remote settlements...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
supercharged said:
Hardly, I'm just promoting the "educated" articulate Australian culture as opposed to the pidgin english "living out in the sticks, welcome to hicktown, population 34" culture. Why should being Australian in anyway equate to having poor literacy skills?

Btw, Most tourists come to Australia because of the environmental attractions (Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest, Ayres Rock, plentiful beaches, Blue Mountains, unique wildlife, nice sunshine etc) and to see famous landmarks such as the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. Without the above, I seriously doubt how supposedly encouraging "laid back", "illiterate" or "bogan" culture would help bring in the tourists. laid back in reality = unemployed and povo.
Well, thank you for telling us why tourists come to this country. WHICH ORIFICE DID YOU YANK THIS PILE OF STEAMING SHIT FROM?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
Well, thank you for telling us why tourists come to this country. WHICH ORIFICE DID YOU YANK THIS PILE OF STEAMING SHIT FROM?
what orifice? mouth. and he/she is right, tourists come for the sites.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
SashatheMan said:
what orifice? mouth. and he/she is right, tourists come for the sites.
OH YES, TOURISTS ONLY COME TO THIS COUNTRY TO SEE THE GREAT BARRIER REEF, DIPSHIT. may I call you a dipshit? Tourists, I'd imagine also come here for women, business, study AND 1 MILLION OTHER FUCKING REASONS. This debate, if you could call it a debate is just another stinking turd in what has become another shit thread.

Give it a rest and good day sir! (and, in regards to the orifice which you seek, I'll ask but one question. Where does shit come from sir?)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Australian "identity" is basically a hodge podge of various different ones.

Did you know for example, the start of the underdog myth, came from the ill feeling between Irish Australians vs English Australians in a cricket match, and the Irish winning? The bronzed Aussie look coming from the Irish Australians and their love and passion for sport.

Australia was founded, due to a common agreement to protect its boundaries from the 'perils' of Asia and migrants. The shift we've experienced within 100 or so years is amazing in itself, and im proud to call myself Australian, despite being a migrant myself.

I dont think its a matter of 'typical' aussies ruining it for the rest, its a marketable commodity, and one which is really only seen through the some forms of media. There has been a marked push to expose Australia as a much more uncaricature culture and country.

Besides, I'd take Steve Irwin as an ambassador over Warnie and another sex scandal anyday.

K

katie_tully

supercharged said:
It doesn't necessarily mean that, regardless I'm sure there would still be a greater % of people with PhD qualifications in urban areas rather than remote settlements...
Why would you need a PhD in a rural area?

K

katie_tully

supercharged said:

I live in a town with 300 people. I would assume that most of them aren't "well educated", "articulate" and nor do I think they'd have a "PhD". However I don't see how that means they are ruining Australia.

So far you haven't pitched any idea as to why these so called "bogan" Australians are ruining us as a nation. I'd be more inclined to say it's people such as yourself, academics who don't care for the 'average' Australian who is ruining the nation. These bogans probably didn't have a chance to go to a top private school in Sydney, infact the older generation probably dropped out in year 10 to get jobs to support themselves, as they couldn't rely on mummy and daddy to do it.

Perhaps these average Australians arent pre-occupied with being well educated and articulate, perhaps there are more important things?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)