Typical Aussies Ruin Australia (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
I live in a town with 300 people. I would assume that most of them aren't "well educated", "articulate" and nor do I think they'd have a "PhD". However I don't see how that means they are ruining Australia.

So far you haven't pitched any idea as to why these so called "bogan" Australians are ruining us as a nation. I'd be more inclined to say it's people such as yourself, academics who don't care for the 'average' Australian who is ruining the nation. These bogans probably didn't have a chance to go to a top private school in Sydney, infact the older generation probably dropped out in year 10 to get jobs to support themselves, as they couldn't rely on mummy and daddy to do it.

Perhaps these average Australians arent pre-occupied with being well educated and articulate, perhaps there are more important things?

*agrees*

I doubt many country folk would be pre-occupied with a PhD or Masters in something, when theyre facing drought, ruin, and a number of other things most of us urban folk would ever experience or know.

K

katie_tully

Sorry, late post.

I just can't get over the absurdity of the phrase - 'typical Australians ruining Australia'

supercharged

HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Sorry, late post.

I just can't get over the absurdity of the phrase - 'typical Australians ruining Australia'
How about typical Berowra hicks ruining Australia?

K

katie_tully

supercharged said:
How about typical Berowra hicks ruining Australia?
I don't know about Berowra hicks, I've never even heard of Berowra before, so obviously they aren't making too much impact :uhhuh: :uhhuh:

K

katie_tully

supercharged said:
Btw, Most tourists come to Australia because of the environmental attractions (Great Barrier Reef, Daintree Rainforest, Ayres Rock, plentiful beaches, Blue Mountains, unique wildlife, nice sunshine etc) and to see famous landmarks such as the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. Without the above, I seriously doubt how supposedly encouraging "laid back", "illiterate" or "bogan" culture would help bring in the tourists. laid back in reality = unemployed and povo.
No, correction. Most "Asian" tourists come to Australia for its environmental attractions. If you read any media releases lately regarding tourism in Australia, you'd realise that during the 80s and well into the 90's the attraction to Australia was due to the "Crocodile Dundee" types that are "ruining this nation". Sure the furry animals always play a part, but the Americans and Europeans were attracted to this stereotype. If you ask any American now what they know about Australia they'll more than likely mention Crocodile Dundee and throwing a shrimp on the bbq.

A recent release told of how our tourist numbers are dropping because of the promotional ads in America. Before the ads used to focus on "Crocodile Dundee", the Outback and our flora/fauna. However lately they've been showing ads regarding our fine cuisine and the intellectual side of Australia. Surveys of Americans and other tourists showed that people aren't interested in coming to see our excellent eat out destinations, as they can do that in their own country. What they admired most was infact the Australian attitude :)

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
katie_tully said:
I don't know about Berowra hicks, I've never even heard of Berowra before, so obviously they aren't making too much impact :uhhuh: :uhhuh:
youve never heard of berowra?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
supercharged said:
It doesn't necessarily mean that, regardless I'm sure there would still be a greater % of people with PhD qualifications in urban areas rather than remote settlements...
To begin with, since when did a University degree and PhD equal the ONLY form of intelligence? I know many people with degrees who are thick as bricks. People with PhD's can have a world of theoretical knowledge and absolutley no common sense and not a speck of practical ability and while they know alot, they aren't smart - they can not apply their knowledge. Furthermore, many people are not in a finacial position to do a PhD - they have their degree and the go and work, or they just go and work straight away. Many vocations do not call on a degree let alone a PhD - why is someone less intelligent simply because their career interests are in a trade, or agriculture?

And did it ever occur to you that the lack of PhD holders are higher within urban communities because not only are the opportunties for people from a rural background to study at PhD level significantly lower than those from city centres - who have greater access to tertiary education and are in a better position due to finance, employment etc, but also that those from the bush who gain a PhD not only need to move to an urban centre in order to gain said doctorate, but also need to remain there in order to gain employment - last I heard, Nevertire was hardly a great source of employment utilising a PhD. PhD's are quite simply the luxury of those financially stable or close to it. They can afford to spend year studying while the rest of us know we can not afford it, pull our socks up and jump into the workforce.

Tell me, without unskilled labourers, tradesmen, farmers etc, where would this country be today? Do you know how to fix faulty electricty lines? Rebuild a car after you've crashed it? Have you got a little farm in your backyard in which you grow your veggies, and room for cows to graze? Would you know how to run a property? Muster cattle? Build/repair fences? I highly doubt it. What you fail to realise is tradesmen and farmers can be just as intelligent as a PhD holder, perhaps even moreso, but they can also (generally) lay claim to practical intelligence and common sense - something many academics lack.

Many people I know who live in small towns or on properties have more practical knowledge and common sense than half this board, not to mention alot of my mates from farms are quite innovative with sparse supplies. We may not hold a bit of paper that says we've been at Sydney Uni for 10 years, yet that makes us no less intelliegent.

My parents droped out in year 10 and worked because Year 12 was simply a waste of time for them, yet my parents are still rather intelligent. My dad esspecially, yet because he grew up in Blaney and West Dubbo, according to you, he's a dumb bogan. Yes, he left in year 10 and became an electricain because he needed to work to support himself because he didn't have mummy and daddy to pay his way through senior secondary let alone University. The problem with this country is not the 'dumb bogans from the sticks', it's the ignorant Sydneysiders who seem to think anything beyond Penrith is about a century behind Sydney - I've known Sydneysiders genuinly suprised when they discovered Cobar had cars and elecricty. Many seem to think Sydney reflects all of Australia, always forgetting they are but a small section of a much bigger picture.

And everything Katie said.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Like katie said, the irony in "typical australians" ruining the country they live in kinda rings loud and strong.

Generator

HSC
N/A
At times the 'oh, we in the country... YOU in the city...' and 'Oh, I'm poor... YOU rich kids...' posts can be quite annoying.

In their defence, PhD students are largely those who managed to secure research funding and government support (many are from rural areas, which may surprise some people). As with general undergraduate studies, you don't have to be wealthy to continue your studies at a postgraduate level if you have the ability, the drive and an idea that is worthy of funding (at the moment, anyway).

Also, nothing will be achieved by demeaning one notion of knowledge in favour of another.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Generator said:
At times the 'oh, we in the country... YOU in the city...' and 'Oh, I'm poor... YOU rich kids...' posts can be quite annoying.

In their defence, PhD students are largely those who managed to secure research funding and government support (many are from rural areas, which may surprise some people). As with general undergraduate studies, you don't have to be wealthy to continue your studies at a postgraduate level if you have the ability, the drive and an idea that is worthy of funding (at the moment, anyway).

Also, nothing will be achieved by demeaning one notion of knowledge in favour of another.
As immature as this sounds - they started it. I was simply pointing out why people who remain in the bush don't hold PhDs. Moreover, inequality DOES exist and there is a divide between City and Country, not so much when looking at income, but rather the provision of services like Education. Those from rural areas (actual rural areas, not Dubbo or Wagga) are disadvantaged when it comes to education due to isolation.

And the 'We're in the country...YOU'RE in the city' spurs more from many Sydneysiders ignorance. I'm originally from Sydney, people here think Camden is roughing it in the bush. The general ignorance of Sydneysiders is annoying, the fact they fail to realise there is so much more to this nation than this city is quite shameful.

K

katie_tully

My mum is doing her Masters in Nursing through USYD, but apart from that I don't know many people in the country who have, or are doing a masters or PhD.

Not because they aren't intelligent, but because what opportunities are there out here for one to need a Masters or PhD.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I'll say it again, this thread is pointless. I don't see why anyone would feel a need to defend themselves against someone as stupid as supercharged.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
<ryan-cck> wtf is la trobe
<ryan-cck> in france?
<ryan-cck> wtf is a wagga wagga
<ryan-cck> some aboriginal island o_O

To quote ryan

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
My mum is doing her Masters in Nursing through USYD, but apart from that I don't know many people in the country who have, or are doing a masters or PhD.

Not because they aren't intelligent, but because what opportunities are there out here for one to need a Masters or PhD.
In law masters degrees are becoming increasingly important..

supercharged

HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
I'll say it again, this thread is pointless. I don't see why anyone would feel a need to defend themselves against someone as stupid as supercharged.
You seem more than stupid enough to :rolleyes:

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Yeah haha well fuckyouverymuch, pfft, at least I aint the one who has to turn to immature flame posting everytime a different opinion is expressed

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
motion for close of thread. lack of relevance to topic, thread lacks relevance to forum etc, thread is innately divisive etc.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
You haven't got a different opinion supercharged, you have no idea. You're an ignorant fuck why probably has never seen anything beyond Sydney.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)