Typical Aussies Ruin Australia (1 Viewer)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Although I agree with most of what you're saying, Asians, particularly the Japanese (one of our main trading partners), identify with koalas, kangaroos, phrases like G'Day and other yobo statements like "crikey" and "fair dinkum".

I remember when I visited STh. E. Asia to visit some childhood friends and the first thing i heard when I walked into their house was "G'Day, mate". These people had been born and bred in Asia-so you can't tell me it's just in Europe and the America's.

Anyway, this is a stupid issue. Who cares what people say, honestly? It's called freedom of speech and we shouldn't all be debating it.
err if you're talking about childhood friends would that refer to expat australians
because that would explain it all
have you ever talked to a Japanese tourist? They aren't too familiar with Aussie slang, maybe the landmarks and the fauna. remember they're not native speakers of english
Heh the President of Ireland made a speech on that right and how it could be abused.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
cherryblossom said:
err if you're talking about childhood friends would that refer to expat australians
because that would explain it all
have you ever talked to a Japanese tourist? They aren't too familiar with Aussie slang, maybe the landmarks and the fauna. remember they're not native speakers of english
Heh the President of Ireland made a speech on that right and how it could be abused.
They might not be familiar with our slang but that doesn't mean they don't like it. One of my mates, a Chinese exchange student, loves all the Aussie slang we taught him, mostly while we were all (him included) drunk. The Japanese students I know always reckoned it was something too.
Just speaking English ain't enough, you need a bit of culture and then Asian tourists will differentiate Aussies from poms and yanks, which can be beneficial.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
I don't say G'day or yobbo or fair dinkum, but I do say "Hows it goin?" which is a typically aussie thing to say. I always thought i had a pretty neutral accent... until recently, when I've noticed that I certainly have a noticable one, and I'm proud to be an aussie. We have some of the best country in the world

cerebrum

HSC
Generator said:
I am still yet to see anyone justify what is wrong with the stereotypical Australian identity (apart from more than one person pointing out that your interpretation is incorrect). So please, tell us all, what exactly is this negative reputation that you are talking about?
Well tell me first what type of people you visualise when you think of Australians?

Comrade nathan

HSC
Typical Australians are un Australian.

Can some one give me a summary of this thread, i think i don't want to read this.

cerebrum

HSC
Comrade nathan said:
Typical Australians are un Australian.

Can some one give me a summary of this thread, i think i don't want to read this.
Thats not much I can say about this thread that anyone will agree to. It be best that you think of it as a pathetic thread thats not worth reading.

Generator

HSC
N/A
cerebrum said:
Well tell me first what type of people you visualise when you think of Australians?
Generator said:
Why should we be ashamed of the 'stereotypical' australian (suburban, laid back, hard-working and wanting a fair go for all)? Why the cultural cringe?
As far as I'm aware, the above quote represents the general consensus as to what a 'stereotypical' Australian truly is.

Now, tell me, what is wrong with that? Why is your own view so skewed, and why is it so negative that it suggests that we should be ashamed of who we are ('we' as a collective identity)?

jpr333

HSC
Just to reiterate if the the irony wasn't absolutely clear, the OP spelt illiterate wrongly.

cerebrum

HSC
Generator said:
As far as I'm aware, the above quote represents the general consensus as to what a 'stereotypical' Australian truly is.

Now, tell me, what is wrong with that? Why is your own view so skewed, and why is it so negative that it suggests that we should be ashamed of who we are ('we' as a collective identity)?
I'm not saying we should be ashamed of who we are. I see my friends and family in a particular way because I know and understand them. However other people may not understand what Australians really are with this reputation we provide ourselves with. When I'm watching sports I see these AUST fans cheering on their team, however then I see them chant something that is so pathetic (Aussie, aussie, aussie, oi, oi, oi). The term Aussie itself potrays a particular picture of Australians that is unpleasant. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Generator

HSC
N/A
cerebrum said:
I'm not saying we should be ashamed of who we are. I see my friends and family in a particular way because I know and understand them. However other people may not understand what Australians really are with this reputation we provide ourselves with. When I'm watching sports I see these AUST fans cheering on their team, however then I see them chant something that is so pathetic (Aussie, aussie, aussie, oi, oi, oi). The term Aussie itself potrays a particular picture of Australians that is unpleasant. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
No, I don't. As annoying as that phrase may be, I don't see what makes it pathetic as such, especially when it's used by people from all corners of the country rather than just the 'yobbos' that you spoke of at first. As for Aussie, why is it an unpleasant term? What is the particular picture that it is meant to represent?

cerebrum said:
However other people may not understand what Australians really are with this reputation we provide ourselves with.
Once again, what is this reputation that you speak of?

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
cerebrum said:
no, I don't.
how is the Aussie chant pathetic? I think it's great, I mean it may not be imaginative but its a way of showing pride for and support of out teams. How is this a negative thing?
As well as that I couldn't dissagree more with the idea that "Aussie" gives an unpleasent picture of Australians.

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
damn rite, typical Australians ruin Australia!!

However, how would u define the typical aussie? This thread is a bit of a generalisation,
but say this is what i generalise a typical aussie to be:

1. redneck
2. lives outback away from cities
3. doesnt own TV
4. doesnt own computer equipment
5. never seen a foreigner b4
6. believes Aboriginals are pests
7. lacks literacy
8. had kids at age of 13
9. has lots of kids
10. has tatoos and no respects of society
11. probably on drugs
12. causes riots with local police
13. debts
14. homeless maybe?
15. unemployed
16. living with mother ever since
17. drops out before year 10
18. doesnt do any tertiary education
19. is complete racist
20. talks with such strond redneck hillybilly accent

If you are in more than 8 of the above, u are classified as a worthless australian in my eyes.

otay

HSC
Vangineer said:
damn rite, typical Australians ruin Australia!!

However, how would u define the typical aussie? This thread is a bit of a generalisation,
but say this is what i generalise a typical aussie to be:

1. redneck
2. lives outback away from cities
3. doesnt own TV
4. doesnt own computer equipment
5. never seen a foreigner b4
6. believes Aboriginals are pests
7. lacks literacy
8. had kids at age of 13
9. has lots of kids
10. has tatoos and no respects of society
11. probably on drugs
12. causes riots with local police
13. debts
14. homeless maybe?
15. unemployed
16. living with mother ever since
17. drops out before year 10
18. doesnt do any tertiary education
19. is complete racist
20. talks with such strond redneck hillybilly accent

If you are in more than 8 of the above, u are classified as a worthless australian in my eyes.
ok so u've succesfully described about .1% of the population. Also what are you talking about here, a typical Australian or a worthless one? You seem confused. And besides there is no typical Australian, which is why we are such a great country, because we are so diverse. My Indian friends are just as Australian as my Asian, Greek and Anglo friends. You can't generalise. If I were to make one though I would like to think we are like what markmooks said.
markmooks said:
I'm an Aussie.
I make this country a better place.
I have a sense of humour.
I have tolerance for other cultures and creeds.
I look out for the little guy.
I have empathy.
I will defend this country with your life. .
but certainly not the dribble you wrote

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Gavrillo said:
It's all about perspective.

If you were Vietnamese, living in Vietnam, and you saw all these Australians coming into your country, eating their own food, talking their own language, you'd get pretty pissed off too.

And as for "Aussie" Australians, I wouldn't put them down. They define our past, so we can shape our future.
so, what do you think the Aussie expats do?
and might I add that the expats there are a lot better off than the locals.
a straightforward example like that doesn't work, because there are so many cultural complexities. migrants normally come to Australia to escape the inferior living conditions in their own countries. when Australians go to developing countries it's usually to make money, and they retain the way of living they're used to, for eg they have special expat compounds and so on.

RingerINC

BBoy OG Loc Gangsta
HSC
otay said:
ok so u've succesfully described about .1% of the population. Also what are you talking about here, a typical Australian or a worthless one? You seem confused. And besides there is no typical Australian, which is why we are such a great country, because we are so diverse. My Indian friends are just as Australian as my Asian, Greek and Anglo friends. You can't generalise. If I were to make one though I would like to think we are like what markmooks said.

but certainly not the dribble you wrote
i dont think you get it, they mean the stereotypical australian that other countries expect all australians to be. If everyone was the steretypical australian then the fact that other countries view us that way wouldnt matter. So yes, theyre describing .1% of the population with a reason.

otay

HSC
RingerINC said:
i dont think you get it, they mean the stereotypical australian that other countries expect all australians to be. If everyone was the steretypical australian then the fact that other countries view us that way wouldnt matter. So yes, theyre describing .1% of the population with a reason.
yeah i do get it and that is still not the correct view. i am unsure on how many other countries you have visited but I have lived in both America and France and travelled to dozens other countries and i can assure you we are not thought of as sum hillbilles. most people see Australians as good humoured, laid-back, tanned, sport crazy people who like to party and have a good time. When i'm travelling and tell sum1 I'm from australia the discussion immediately turns to partying or sport, not asking us if we have tv's. Even the dumbarse americans didn't really believe we were all like croc dundee.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Listen As a full Bred Austrian

I am very Proud of this country.

I will wear whatever the fuck i want, if i dont wanna wear anything you cant stop me .

I will eat as many bangers and mash as i want

I could do alot of things if i had some money.

-Anonymous

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
im what is termed an 'australian of asian decent' and i am proud to be able to say 'how ya going mate?' and have it sound natural.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)