Uai 98+ (1 Viewer)

lollypoplady

HSC
Ultimately i think it just matters how much work you put in....

but i've been told that not doing any maths is bad for your UAI... is this true?
i'm currently doing
general maths
3unit eng
modern hist
hist ext
legal
3 unit music
and want to drop general maths... is this a good idea?
am generally topping modern, legal, and top 3 in everythign else except maths
thanks
DROP TO GENERAL!!! you will not regret it. seriously, it's soooo much better to get band 6 in general than band 4/5 in mathematics. just make sure it is a band 6 in general and you will be much better off.

Mot1912

HSC
My 2008 UAI 98.95

Subjects
Adv English 92
Physics 91
Business Stuidies 93
Legal Studies 95
Modern History 94
Maths 2U 94
Maths 3U 45

So yes its possible to get 98.95 without the 4 unit stuff just advanced english. Just work hard and anythings possible

Last edited:
HSC
doing maths if you're bad at it or dont like it is bad for your uai. only choose maths if you like it and arnt really really bad at it :p
i got 96.85 and some of my subjects scale badly. however for the ones that scale badly i really loved and ended up getting mid to high 90s for them. for physics and adv english i got low to mid 80s, but they scale pretty well so it was all good.
so dont worry about scaling when choosing subjects...if you are interested or are good at a subject, then you should do that, because you'll be more motivated to work hard at it, and end up getting a better mark in the end.
but i guess try and make sure you have one or two fairly good scaling subjects if all your other ones scale really badly.

Schoey93

HSC
friend got something like:

adv eng: something like 92?
ext eng: 44? 45?
modern: 93
ancient: 95
ext history: 90
french.. beginners i think: 97

duxed our school internally, but he's shit :D

98.15 i think he got.
You must be joking... 98.15 UAI is awesome. :)

tara27

HSC
my cousin got a UAI of 100 last year.(2008)

advanced english
4 maths
3 latin
3 greek

our whole family is proud of him.
he told me its just about working hard and picking the right subjects.
have a good life.
xo

lcx

HSC
no u dont need any ext subjects
i didnt do any ext english or math and still got 98
u jsut need to hav a consistent level of band 6's, dont need to be too high but at least 93 or sumthin

yeh and no sciences

Last edited:

cooklyfire

HSC
Doing Mathematics is recommended among most high schools. Although, not doing it won't affect your chances of an exceptional UAI.

Here's an example this year (2008/9):

My sister:
Subjects-
Standard English, Modern History, Business Studies, Biology, Legal Studies and Visual Arts.
UAI- 99.90

Her Friend:
Subjects-
Advanced English, English Ext. 1 & 2, Mathematics Ext. 1 & 2, Chemistry and Physics.
UAI- 98.60

Look at that lovely 99.90. Any UAI is possible with any subjects. It's just that all BOS mathematics exams, tend to be of a very high standard compared to other states.
GOOD LUCK!

Remember to take fish oil! It helps! lol randomness......

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doing Mathematics is recommended among most high schools. Although, not doing it won't affect your chances of an exceptional UAI.

Here's an example this year (2008/9):

My sister:
Subjects- Standard English, Modern History, Business Studies, Biology, Legal Studies and Visual Arts.
UAI- 99.90

Her Friend:
Subjects- Advanced English, English Ext. 1 & 2, Mathematics Ext. 1 & 2, Chemistry and Physics.
UAI- 98.60

I say bullshit.

No one who did English (Standard) got 99.90 UAI in 2008. It never happened from 2005-2009. To be honest, no one got close to 99.90 from English (Standard) students from 2000 onwards except 2004 where the top UAI for English (Standard) was actually 99.95.

LordPc

HSC
I say bullshit.

No one who did English (Standard) got 99.90 UAI in 2008. It never happened from 2005-2009. To be honest, no one got close to 99.90 from English (Standard) students from 2000 onwards except 2004 where the top UAI for English (Standard) was actually 99.95.
have you got the link to the file that says all this? i remember seeing it a little while back, where it has all the subjects and the highest UAI received by a person who did that course for thier HSC

cant seem to find it again though

dp624

HSC
have you got the link to the file that says all this? i remember seeing it a little while back, where it has all the subjects and the highest UAI received by a person who did that course for thier HSC

cant seem to find it again though
it's the UAC tables (a something), and i've posted the details somewhere around here.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
it's the UAC tables (a something), and i've posted the details somewhere around here.
Yeah, it is. It is the very first UAC table.

@lordpC:go to www.uac.edu.au and go to undergraduate and do a search on "scaling report". Then get the very first table of the 2008 scaling report.

The highest UAI received by English (Standard) student in 2008 was 99.60 this year.

Moenique

HSC
My cousin got a 97.35UAI in 2003 WITHOUT doing high scaling subjects, she did 2unit Maths, Physics,Visual Arts (VERY BAD SCALING), advanced english and other "unknown" subjects,

Correct me if im worng, but any combination of subjects is capable of a 100UAI,its just some, you need to do better than others,

Good luck on your upcoming HSC, i wish you the very best :music:
Seriously, I'm so tired of people saying that Visual Arts scales badly. That is not at all true. The past 4 out of 5 HSC top achievers at my school did Visual Arts and received a UAI over 96 easy. Regardless of scaling, your UAI will not only be determined by your personal mark, but also the average of your classes' group mark against the rest of the state. You have to ensure that your classes work together because you will be brought down unless you're ranked top 3 in nearly all of your courses. All of this has become too complicated!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Seriously, I'm so tired of people saying that Visual Arts scales badly. That is not at all true. The past 4 out of 5 HSC top achievers at my school did Visual Arts and received a UAI over 96 easy.
so? It doesn't change the fact that visual arts scales badly. It's just that people at your school who did visuals arts happened to have done well in other subjects because UAI = combination of 10 units not just on visual arts which only counts for 2 unit.

Moenique

HSC
It does not scale badly. The only reason for subjects scaling badly is if you do badly in them! It's not that hard to figure out. And if you read the rest of my post, you'd see that I wasn't just talking about Visual Arts making a difference to an individual's final mark, it's how the average of your group goes too in all of your subjects. Visual Arts should be encouraged, not put down. That goes for all subjects. You obviously have received the wrong perception off an educator or some one else who is ignorant of the benefits Visual Arts and all creative art subjects provide. The art teachers at my school are fantastic, and do everything in their power to rid of the stigma situated upon the arts in secondary education. People like you do not help!

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
It does not scale badly. The only reason for subjects scaling badly is if you do badly in them! It's not that hard to figure out. And if you read the rest of my post, you'd see that I wasn't just talking about Visual Arts making a difference to an individual's final mark, it's how the average of your group goes too in all of your subjects. Visual Arts should be encouraged, not put down. That goes for all subjects. You obviously have received the wrong perception off an educator or some one else who is ignorant of the benefits Visual Arts and all creative art subjects provide. The art teachers at my school are fantastic, and do everything in their power to rid of the stigma situated upon the arts in secondary education. People like you do not help!
Err, i don't think anyone is trying to "put down" visual arts. We are just stating the fact that it scales poorly like many other subjects- you seem to be taking it personally.

Moenique

HSC
Haha, I don't mean to take it personally but I know I'm not the only Art student that gets upset about it. I want to make a living out of it (or try to). Obviously it bugs me when people say it scales badly but whatever, I've had my rant. Like I've already tried to suggest, if you get a high mark in any subject, it's difficult for it to be scaled down. That's all.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
For your sake, here we go:

Seriously, I'm so tired of people saying that Visual Arts scales badly. That is not at all true. The past 4 out of 5 HSC top achievers at my school did Visual Arts and received a UAI over 96 easy.
Already explained how you are wrong.

Regardless of scaling, your UAI will not only be determined by your personal mark, but also the average of your classes' group mark against the rest of the state.
No it isn't. It is determined by your rank and the relative difference between each person.
You have to ensure that your classes work together because you will be brought down unless you're ranked top 3 in nearly all of your courses. All of this has become too complicated!
Another flawed suggestion. It depends on how people who beat you perform in HSC. As long as they do well, it's okay. In James Ruse, 13 people got state ranks in Chemistry (i.e. 98 or 99 or 100). Did they bring you down? No. May be I am just showing an extreme case but as long as people who beat you perform well you never get dragged down.
It does not scale badly.

Yes it does. Don't try to change the fact.
The only reason for subjects scaling badly is if you do badly in them! It's not that hard to figure out.
Isn't it same for all other subjects? Don't state the obvious.
And if you read the rest of my post, you'd see that I wasn't just talking about Visual Arts making a difference to an individual's final mark, it's how the average of your group goes too in all of your subjects.
I have already responded to every aspect of your post and you are incorrect.
Visual Arts should be encouraged, not put down. That goes for all subjects.
That depends on individuals. If they like it, yeah.
You obviously have received the wrong perception off an educator or some one else who is ignorant of the benefits Visual Arts and all creative art subjects provide.
I don't know what you are talking about. It is YOU who has received the wrong understanding of the scaling/moderating system. In addition, what did I say about Visual Arts that annoys you? I just stated the fact that it has relatively poor scaling - and it does. I myself do poor scaling subjects and I am not putting them down. I have never in my post put down Visual Arts as a subject. If you like it and are good at it, go for it. I will highly encourage that. I am absolutely aware that scaling doesn't really matter.FONT]
I am only arguiing to your stance that it has a good scaling, which it obviously doesn't.
The art teachers at my school are fantastic, and do everything in their power to rid of the stigma situated upon the arts in secondary education. People like you do not help!
How is this relevant? You are the one who haven't read my post properly.

Moenique

HSC
Jesus Christ. :lol:
Sorry for having an opposing opinion! And I'm also sorry if my school has informed us incorrectly of how things go in the scaling system. I'll find out in December just how much it's dragged me down.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
I can see where Moenique is coming from, people try to put Dance down all the time and its frustrating, although I dont think the scaling for dance is similar to Visual Arts. Namu is right though the info he has posted.

Although I understand why we have scaling it can adversely effect an individual.

Juliaan

HSC
lyounamu just trod on you ~

though just check the scaling thing, VA is quite low and you gotta realise you have to go good or it will 'scale' you down. Its low scaling cause alot of dumb shits do it for a bludge ~ i believe so anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)