UAI expectations (1 Viewer)

shimmer205

HSC
Hey all...

I have a friend who is aiming for a 95+ UAI next year, but her work ethic and results this year so far suggest it will be closer to 70 or 80. I think that if she works like a manic she may get 90, but so far there is nothing to suggest this will happen. I don't want her to be very upset if she doesn't make 95. Her parents are also very expectant of a huge UAI.
Should I just leave it alone, it's none of my buisness really....
Or is there a nice way to give her a bit of warning or prevent severe disappointment as we get closer to the HSC?

Thanks for that!

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
This is just my opinion, but I think you should tell her. But don't tell her directly like 'you're not going to get 95+ UAI because currently you are fail', just encourage her by studying with each other and all that. :p

shimmer205

HSC
Continuum said:
This is just my opinion, but I think you should tell her. But don't tell her directly like 'you're not going to get 95+ UAI because currently you are fail', just encourage her by studying with each other and all that. :p
That's what I was thinking... We study together quite alot because I help her out with English, but it's tough to think of a way to givve her more realistic expectations.
:uhoh:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If she's a close friend, then, yeah, tell her. If she's just a 'friend', then leave well enough alone.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shimmer205 said:
Hey all...

I have a friend who is aiming for a 95+ UAI next year, but her work ethic and results this year so far suggest it will be closer to 70 or 80. I think that if she works like a manic she may get 90, but so far there is nothing to suggest this will happen. I don't want her to be very upset if she doesn't make 95. Her parents are also very expectant of a huge UAI.
Or is there a nice way to give her a bit of warning or prevent severe disappointment as we get closer to the HSC?

Thanks for that!
Yeah I have got few mates like that. They are not my close mates so I cannot just go and say "you cannot get that". One of my mate wants 97 UAI for the Bachelor Psychology at USYD. I know that he cannot get it at this rate. He is getting fail as an average mark. So I always tell him to think about the alternatives if he didn't get in. I never mention that he won't get that. I tend to tell him to think about the alternatives.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Tell her to put her marks in SAM and then she will get the message.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
Tell her to put her marks in SAM and then she will get the message.
It wouldn't work. If she is expecting 95 UAI, she would make SAM look as if it has 95 UAI on it.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
She may very well be one of those people that take year 11 as the last year to stuff around and then once she enters year 12 starts working how a 95+ student should work, however that is unlikely.

She herself should know whether she is capable of a high UAI, if her work ethic and results are as you stated then something needs to change. If she wants it for herself then she may very well change but if she only wants the UAI because it's something her parents want/expect then it's probably a losing battle.

In my opinion, you could maybe make general comments/jokes/nothing serious but senior high students need to take responsibility for their learning, themselves if she can't do that then that's her problem.

Zephyrio

HSC
People do change.

My friend once said (and she was lazy at the time) that she would be happy with 83. This year, she received a UAI estimate of 95-96 (and she wasn't content with this), and stated that 93 was low. LOL.

But I had to nag her a lot.

wafaa

HSC
hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

this is ma first post (im nervous ... no iam not) >>> :pain:

lool....im funy i know....

anyways...lets not get carried away... i am a yr12 student...and guess what i strongly believe that year 11 is totally different than year 12 man.....

people improve suprisingly in year12 i think because they learnt from their misttakes in year11..........

my subjects include: eheh (science freak:lol: )
biology
physics
chemistry
english
maths

i am a strong believer in if u aim high you'll get high

for that girl who is aiming for 95+.....gueess waaaaaaat !!!!

goood on her......if thats her attitude from prelim.....theeres a high possibility that she will get close to that....:shy:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
shimmer205 said:
Hey all...

Thanks for that!
Tell her nicely as a friend, instead of saying 'Haha you idiot, you won't get 95' :). If you know her parents are expectant of a huge UAI, just warn her.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
wafaa said:
goood on her......if thats her attitude from prelim.....theeres a high possibility that she will get close to that....:shy:
You mean the attitude whereby she thinks she'll get 95 without really having a decent work ethic? Yeah ok. :rolleyes:

shimmer205

HSC
Thanks for all the advice,
I think I'll at least wait it out til year twelve.. I am a firm believer that you can really pick up your game in year 12.
By the way, I tried the SAM thing and you were right, lyounamu, she just made it look like 95.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)