UAI of 60.xx scares me. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
A woman I knew did her HSC in 2004 I know studied Eng Std, 2U Maths, Hospitality, Textiles & Design (I forgot the other 2U course) and earned a UAI of 60. She claims that her subjects scale pretty badly.

A man I know did his HSC this year (2006) and studied Eng Std, 3U Maths, IPT, Ancient History and SDD earned a UAI of 60.
He scored less than 30% in one assessment but was a keen IPT student.

Both are asians, these figures scare me, I don't want to be the next one to fall into the same category.

My first HSC assessment marks are between 74%-93% but I still have a long way to go.
I chose Physics in favour of Biology for "scaling" and interest, does the subjects you study affect your UAI in anyway ?
What positive steps must I take that is practical and ahievable ?

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
From what I can tell, you can pick any combination of subjects and still have the chance of getting a UAI of 100. The scaling isn't the most important factor in calculating your UAI, your result is. It's better to do well in a subject that may not necessarily scale as well, than do poor in a subject that has high scaling. Those above examples got 60 not necessarily because they did poor-scaling subjects, but because they did poor in their subjects.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Unfortunately I think it is more important that you put in the effort yourself. Scaling is inevitable and you can't control it. Just work consistent and do your best.

Some combination of subjects may prevent you in achieving a UAI of 100, but that's not the point here.

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
Dont worry man, after doing the hsc i can tell you its fuckign easy. i got 15 more than what i expected. i pratically didnt go to class for half the year until the trials are started to get serious. i got kicked out of my school in yr 11 for less than 60% attendance ROFL. dont worry about the hsc its easy shit

T

Testpilot

Fenris: Judging by your posts on BoS you'll need to work hard to get a UAI above the '30 and below' box.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
What sort of UAI do you want anyway? 80s? 90s?

Just be consistent and try and improve in marks for all your subjects.

My UAI - 87.95 (Business Studies, General Maths, 3 unit English, Modern Hsitory, Biology).

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
tallkid34 said:
What sort of UAI do you want anyway? 80s? 90s?

Just be consistent and try and improve in marks for all your subjects.

My UAI - 87.95 (Business Studies, General Maths, 3 unit English, Modern Hsitory, Biology).
hmm good stuff, but i dont like my maths or physics but i own my chem tests n stuff.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
i got 69 in chemistry. and i do low scaling subjects like business studies and pdhpe.

i still managed a uai of 87.85

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
u should be fine mate.

wats ur school ranked ?

-pari-

HSC
N/A
^^^^ i get a tad worried at times too

best way to avoid it is actually sit down and work. you feel a lot better. worrying wont get you far, but studying is a good start ;)

good luck!

Heipmaster

HSC
vojnik said:
Avoiding a dead shit class/school helps ALOT.
but he goes to a local school and there isn't much benefit going to a different one.

gemrism

HSC
I did a fair amount of low scaling subjects: eng advanced, economics, 3U maths, modern(it scales really badly...it does type it into sam!) and agriculture. I only got a band 6 in economics and i scored 94.25 :)!

L

littlewing69

So study hard. By the time your HSC rolls round you should pretty much know what you're going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)