UAI REALITY ChEcK!!!! (1 Viewer)

Lauraline xx

HSC
i dont want a pink slip. a lot of my expectation falls under family pressure... my oldest bro got 94... my second oldest got 33... my third oldest got 90... so.... where does that leave me? 37?

its kinda scary that out of everyone doing the hsc... only about 40% will have the marks to consider uni... even if everyone in the whole of nsw got band 6 for everything, only 40% would have the right. i think this scale thing is unfair.
i hate the hsc.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Lauraline xx said:
i dont want a pink slip. a lot of my expectation falls under family pressure... my oldest bro got 94... my second oldest got 33... my third oldest got 90... so.... where does that leave me? 37?

its kinda scary that out of everyone doing the hsc... only about 40% will have the marks to consider uni... even if everyone in the whole of nsw got band 6 for everything, only 40% would have the right. i think this scale thing is unfair.
i hate the hsc.
It's not unfair at all. Everyone is marked on the same level and against the same standards. If you put the work in, you get the result. Anyone can get at least 60 if they work hard. It's no coincidence that the people who don't work hard also get the low marks and don't get to uni. Stop complaining.

morganforrest

HSC
bringbackshred said:
It's not unfair at all. Everyone is marked on the same level and against the same standards. If you put the work in, you get the result. Anyone can get at least 60 if they work hard. It's no coincidence that the people who don't work hard also get the low marks and don't get to uni. Stop complaining.
qft

I hate it when people bitch about having low scaling subjects and shit....if it's low scaling it means it's easier and you should be able to go better in it to compensate for the lack of scalingl.

HSC
Really depends on how everyone else went in the state.

My UAI aim is 85 or over, which I need for my course. Failing that, 80 will do. If I don't get above 80....well....not good >_>

morganforrest

HSC
Report on the Scaling of the 2006 NSW Higher School Certificate said:
In 2006, 21 people received a UAI of 100, 11 males and 10 females, from a mix of government and independent schools.
/discussion

Lauraline xx

HSC
even if everyone in the fucking state tried their hardest only 40% would get the UAI needed to go to uni. as 30% must get pinked slipped and everyone else is scaled. i know a girl who tried her hardest... absolute hardest. studied like all hell. got a uai of 49. do the work and get the marks? yeah. right.
i know everyone is marked at the same standards too. Im not living in a magical HSC wonderland. I wasnt talking about subject scales either. i was talking about a rank.
Everyone i have spoken to thats done the hsc, including a good friend who got 99.7 (not a bad score id say) says it was the most over-rated bullshit thing ever.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
katie_tully said:
There is a UAI of 100... I think rougly there's usually a couple of students who achieve this. Varies each year.
It's about 20.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
noir said:
Absolutely. you could be ranked last/failing in all your subs at a selective/private school, but come the HSC your cohort is there to save your uai, and you end up with a 90+.
totally unfair.
Exactly right, I'm glad someone else can see something that has been as clear as day to me.

twilight1412 said:
eh thats a lie IF they got/will get a good score then dont you think that they would have gotten/will get a good mark regardless of their school?
there isnt really much difference i think between the schools its just what YOU do that affects what marks you get
I don't doubt the people at these school are smart/intelligent. But I do think they have an advantage. You only have to look at BOS, there are a lot of selective/private school students who claim they do very little work/study even in their words "bludge" and yet still aim for high UAIs and will no doubt get them or at least close to them. They only aim this high because it's been proven to them over the years that people in their school are very capable of it. Rather then say a few high achieving students at a public school.

Äj

HSC
uai reality check: your uai really doesnt matter. sure, maybe in short term. but do you really thing that getting a high uai as opposed to a not quite so high uai will change your entire life? pfft no. it could help in the near future, for uni, but thats only because theres umpteen other students all trying to get into the same uni so naturally theyre going to want to pick the ones they think will benifit them the most.
your uai is only a measure of how well you know the courses at school. It is in no way a measure of your intelligence or ability. Einstein was crap at school, he left because he didnt like it...and he went alright in life if you ask me.
bottom line, work as hard as you WANT TO in school as it can always help. but dont worry about it, just go with it. If you dont get what you would like, then thats ok, all it will mean is that you did not know as much as the other so many percent above you.

****and while UIA Calculators are fun to try out, theyre word isnt final, not even close, they go off your current level of achievement so far and compare it to the state to put it simply.
another reason, why not to wory. ok, i get people whinging that they cant get a high uai if they do subjects like art, drama, hospitality and stuff like that. and that its not fair.
your uai is UNIVERSITY ADMINISTRATION INDEX. each course has a uai that you need to get into it. and somehow if yo uwant to go into acting or something i dont think you need 90+. which is why you dont need a high uai.
your uai is only nessisary for university, and then it depends on what you want to study. if you wnat to go to uni at all that is.
im not going to go to uni unless theres a course that im interested in and can see it benifiting me. you think im going to get a degree in something, spend $20k+ and 3-5 yrs just to get a pretty peice of paper to hang on my wall? i dont think so.
so really, while im still going to do as well as i can (even though i kinda made a bit of a mess of it). im not going to rip hair out over it. hell, even if i dont get the uai i need if i wanted to do a specific thing i can still do it if i want. you just have to do a bridging course or something simmilar. you can still do what you want aslong as you are capable of it.
all your uai helps with is kick starting you for uni. gets you going abit faster and easier. but you can still always get there in the end.

that is the reality of your uai.

Äj

HSC
uai reality check: your uai really doesnt matter. sure, maybe in short term. but do you really thing that getting a high uai as opposed to a not quite so high uai will change your entire life? pfft no. it could help in the near future, for uni, but thats only because theres umpteen other students all trying to get into the same uni so naturally theyre going to want to pick the ones they think will benifit them the most.
your uai is only a measure of how well you know the courses at school. It is in no way a measure of your intelligence or ability. Einstein was crap at school, he left because he didnt like it...and he went alright in life if you ask me.
bottom line, work as hard as you WANT TO in school as it can always help. but dont worry about it, just go with it. If you dont get what you would like, then thats ok, all it will mean is that you did not know as much as the other so many percent above you.

****and while UIA Calculators are fun to try out, theyre word isnt final, not even close, they go off your current level of achievement so far and compare it to the state to put it simply.
another reason, why not to wory. ok, i get people whinging that they cant get a high uai if they do subjects like art, drama, hospitality and stuff like that. and that its not fair.
your uai is UNIVERSITY ADMINISTRATION INDEX. each course has a uai that you need to get into it. and somehow if yo uwant to go into acting or something i dont think you need 90+. which is why you dont need a high uai.
your uai is only nessisary for university, and then it depends on what you want to study. if you wnat to go to uni at all that is.
im not going to go to uni unless theres a course that im interested in and can see it benifiting me. you think im going to get a degree in something, spend $20k+ and 3-5 yrs just to get a pretty peice of paper to hang on my wall? i dont think so.
so really, while im still going to do as well as i can (even though i kinda made a bit of a mess of it). im not going to rip hair out over it. hell, even if i dont get the uai i need if i wanted to do a specific thing i can still do it if i want. you just have to do a bridging course or something simmilar. you can still do what you want aslong as you are capable of it.
all your uai helps with is kick starting you for uni. gets you going abit faster and easier. but you can still always get there in the end.

that is the reality of your uai.

p.s. ahh, phys tomorrow. gotto love the physics.

samuel slack

HSC
We all know that the HSC is overrated bullshit, that it doesn't measure intelligence, etc. But, we all know that the easiest way to get into what we want to do we need to do well enough and get the UAI that we want.

I think that if you went through the HSC year thinking those sort of things, then your attitude just isn't going to cut it. Seriously, all you needed to do was focus a little bit on doing well in everything, instead of (and seriously I have seen so many people do this) complain about how crap the system is, and blame the BOS for everything.

Just do your best, and what you put in, you will get out.

N

noir.

Lauraline xx said:
even if everyone in the fucking state tried their hardest only 40% would get the UAI needed to go to uni. as 30% must get pinked slipped and everyone else is scaled. i know a girl who tried her hardest... absolute hardest. studied like all hell. got a uai of 49. do the work and get the marks? yeah. right.
i know everyone is marked at the same standards too. Im not living in a magical HSC wonderland. I wasnt talking about subject scales either. i was talking about a rank.
Everyone i have spoken to thats done the hsc, including a good friend who got 99.7 (not a bad score id say) says it was the most over-rated bullshit thing ever.
yeh same. a girl from work studied tonnes, and worked consistently yet only got a 52.10. one of my friends did no study prior to the exams and he got in the 70s. unfair i'd say...

your marks and uai aren't exactly a reflection of how hard you've worked. same with how smart you are. you can put in lots of effort and end up with a shoddy result. yet you can do minimal work all year round and still get away with getting an awesome uai.

and morganforrest: who's to say what subject is hard or not? scaling isn't about the easiness [word?] of a subject. it's mainly about the calibre of the candidate. dumber people are more likely to pick supposedly dumb subjects.

morganforrest

HSC
Possibly noir....but you can't say that a subject like ComFam is harder than 4unit maths....hence 4unit scales much better. I'd say dumb people pick subjects like that because they are, in reality, easier subjects.

And Lauraline, it's unfortunate that some people put in heaps and heaps of effort and still don't get the UAI they want. I truly believe that. But the fact of the matter is that there has to be some way of discriminating who gets the valuable places at University. Evolution (or whatever you want to blame it on) has gifted some people with natural intelligence that allows them to do minimal work and still reap the rewards. It's unfortunate but that's the way it is. If you don't perform, you don't get into uni. No good will come of mollycoddling people and saying "aww you tried so hard, here come to university" firstly because they will fail at university life simply because they're not intelligent enough, and secondly because that simply doesn't happen in the real world. Two people competing for a promotion, one tries really hard but produces bogus work, another puts in minimal effort and produces brilliant work....guess who gets the promotion.

You will constantly be compared with those around you, the sooner people learn to deal with it the better.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
You could also throw in going to top selective and private schools helps. I dare say members here that got/will get good scores although I'm not doubting their intelligence or skill but if they had went to low performing public schools I very much doubt they could do so well for the little amount of work/study they claim to do/have done.

K

katie_tully

If you guys get a shit UAI, don't cut your wrists or anything. Try and get into a lesser degree, do really well in it for first year then try for a transfer into the degree you want..

That's what I did. I got a shit UAI.

K

katie_tully

nah i know what you're saying. i still believe that some subjects that don't scale well are smart subjects that require a lot of work. people just get the impression that it's another 2 units they can take because they don't know what else to do, and bludge their way through. i definately see your point though.
still, there are some subjects that don't really deserve to scale like they do. i.e. SOR1 + 2. [need i explain?]
When I did my HSC, Ancient History was scaled to the shithouse. Even Advanced English was scaled back, my assessment mark going into the HSC was scaled back by 10.
In the end, Ancient History didn't count towards my 10 units because they took Ext Eng and Ext History over it, despite the fact I did really shit in Ext History.

Word on the street is to do vegie subjects and do really well in them.

morganforrest

HSC
That's true...some subjects should scale higher....Society and Culture is another subject that springs to mind....they seem to do heaps of work for very little pay off, in comparison to Chem and Physics which scale almost as high as the Extension subjects and yet are quite simple (especially now that they've dumbed down the course)

twilight1412

HSC
pritnep said:
You could also throw in going to top selective and private schools helps. I dare say members here that got/will get good scores although I'm not doubting their intelligence or skill but if they had went to low performing public schools I very much doubt they could do so well for the little amount of work/study they claim to do/have done.
eh thats a lie IF they got/will get a good score then dont you think that they would have gotten/will get a good mark regardless of their school?
there isnt really much difference i think between the schools its just what YOU do that affects what marks you get

morganforrest

HSC
twilight1412 said:
Hmmm....true but consider simple human nature. If you're surrounded by a bunch of smart students, with really cluey teachers and everything you're going to have to work a helluva a lot less harder to achieve the same UAI result. Going to a selective school gives you people to compete against in order to improve your own mark and everything.

It doesn't necessarily affect the scaling/moderation/aligning so much but it does affect your ability to work hard and better your own marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)