UMAT 2015 Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

go_cadel

HSC
What are my chances with med at unsw/uws/une-jmp with atar estimate of ~97.45 and umat 92 percentile?
unsw no chance, unless you boost your real atar close to 99. (to get a 2nd round interview)
uws, jmp, i need to know your breakdown

samwr

HSC
unsw no chance, unless you boost your real atar close to 99. (to get a 2nd round interview)
uws, jmp, i need to know your breakdown
63/65/55 overall: 183
Any chance for monash or uadelaide as an interstate student?

go_cadel

HSC
63/65/55 overall: 183
Any chance for monash or uadelaide as an interstate student?
jmp, uws definitely.
adelaide not first round, (need around 95 UMAT) and will need a higher atar for second round (it is highly competitive for interstaters here!)
monash only gives second rounds for interstaters and the interview requirement is similar to unsw.

A1P

HSC
I have applied for Med through UAC, VTAC, QTAC, SATAC and UTAS.
Other than JCU which unis require a separate application as well?

I remember UNSW, West Syd, and maybe Newcastle.
But not sure about Monash, UAdl, Flinders, UQ, Griffith, UTAS.

Please tell me, thanks.

go_cadel

HSC
UNSW, UWS, JMP, UTAS all require separate applications
Monash, UAdel, Flinders, UQ, Griffith, do not.

Reactions: A1P

helloimyellow

HSC
What are my chances of UQ Med (bonded) or Dentistry with estimated ATAR 99.45 and UMAT Percentile 86% (176 raw) - S1 63 | S2 46 | S3 66. I'm in NSW. Thanks!

MrBeefJerky

HSC
What are my chances of UQ Med (bonded) or Dentistry with estimated ATAR 99.45 and UMAT Percentile 86% (176 raw) - S1 63 | S2 46 | S3 66. I'm in NSW. Thanks!
Not sure about UQ Med (bonded) but you will probably get UQ Dent depends on the cutoff tho. Last year I think it was around 84%

helloimyellow

HSC

moonbear129

HSC
67 percentile

overall 161

rip s1 i don't know anyone that has received a score below 50 for section 1 LOL and i guess pretty much my UMAT score as a whole is.. :(

as this was the first time sitting the UMAT for me, do any of you guys who have sat the UMAT a second or third time have any advice in the ways you prepared it differently to improve significantly?? like the way you studied it??

Last edited:

deerless

HSC
63, 60, 50 with an overall of 174. 84 percentile.

Kicking myself for not doing better in S3 considering it's the one that "you can most improve on". I guess I got rattled because, like quite a few people have said, S3 was a little different from previous patterns and puzzles.

67 percentile

as this was the first time sitting the UMAT for me, do any of you guys who have sat the UMAT a second or third time have any advice in the ways you prepared it differently to improve significantly?? like the way you studied it??

Last year I got 50, 56, 50 with a percentile of 59. While I didn't do exceptionally well this year, 59 to 84 is a pretty big improvement right? Hahaha.
It's weird because last year I finished the exam with a few minutes to spare. This year I panicked at the end and missed 10 or so questions.

Reflecting on it now, I think I was just really ignorant last year and thought that the correct answers could be found in a few short simple steps. I did maybe around 350 mixed practice questions in 2014 (130ish from the ACER website). This year around 600 (130ish again coming from the ACER site).

I did put a bit more effort into S1 since JMP emphasises that, and to a certain extent, UWS as well. I think I mostly used process of eliminating - going through each option first and then looking at the stimulus to see if they fit.

For S2 I put myself in the main character's shoes and played the scenario in my head like a drama lol. Be an actor/blank canvas and form your personality based on the scenario/dialogue/first person POV. Try to figure out the personalities of those around you (as in the other people in the scenario) as well if possible.
Or idk, watch a lot of TV/movies?

S3 - I have nothing to say except I have so many REEEEEEEEEEEEGREEEEEEEEETS

Also guys do you think I have a chance for JMP or UWS? Did anyone with similar scores as me get an interview for UWS? I heard they changed their calculations.

bangladesh

HSC

Kicking myself for not doing better in S3 considering it's the one that "you can most improve on". I guess I got rattled because, like quite a few people have said, S3 was a little different from previous patterns and puzzles.

Last year I got 50, 56, 50 with a percentile of 59. While I didn't do exceptionally well this year, 59 to 84 is a pretty big improvement right? Hahaha.
It's weird because last year I finished the exam with a few minutes to spare. This year I panicked at the end and missed 10 or so questions.

Reflecting on it now, I think I was just really ignorant last year and thought that the correct answers could be found in a few short simple steps. I did maybe around 350 mixed practice questions in 2014 (130ish from the ACER website). This year around 600 (130ish again coming from the ACER site).

I did put a bit more effort into S1 since JMP emphasises that, and to a certain extent, UWS as well. I think I mostly used process of eliminating - going through each option first and then looking at the stimulus to see if they fit.

For S2 I put myself in the main character's shoes and played the scenario in my head like a drama lol. Be an actor/blank canvas and form your personality based on the scenario/dialogue/first person POV. Try to figure out the personalities of those around you (as in the other people in the scenario) as well if possible.

Also guys do you think I have a chance for JMP or UWS? Did anyone with similar scores as me get an interview for UWS? I heard they changed their calculations.
defs jmp, not sure about uws

moonbear129

HSC

haha thank you for your feedback! yeah ive always struggled in s1 during practice and it showed on the actual exam and i guess it comes down to more practice questions and luck on the day!!

good luck! i think you have a chance for JMP and UWS considering your s1 and s2 score?

iMMORTAL153

HSC
Uni Grad

JMP 100%, uws doubt it unless your gws. Your wighed is 148, and that's with s3 being worth 1/2. From the information I heard last year, it probably worth even less now. If you're not gws then you won't get one. Even with gws it's a maybe. Who knows what kind of stuff uws does to the scores.

ming mong

HSC
60 58 68 overall 186 with 94 percentile.
Arrrrrrghhh section twooooooo.
Anyway, my estimated ATAR is 99+ (yeah, my school doesn't give exact numbers... great school) but my studying for HSC is non-existent so I'm thinking its gonna be around 98.8. Do you think I have a chance for UNSW, Uadelaide, UWS, Flinders, Bond and/or JMP?

Also, I didn't pick chemistry (I'm a flippin' moron), so will any other universities accept me and a bridging course in chem? I know Monash said no to a bridging course if I wanted a direct entry to MBBS.

redjnr

HSC
Anyway, my estimated ATAR is 99+ (yeah, my school doesn't give exact numbers... great school) but my studying for HSC is non-existent so I'm thinking its gonna be around 98.8. Do you think I have a chance for UNSW, Uadelaide, UWS, Flinders, Bond and/or JMP?

Also, I didn't pick chemistry (I'm a flippin' moron), so will any other universities accept me and a bridging course in chem? I know Monash said no to a bridging course if I wanted a direct entry to MBBS.
Firstly grats on your UMAT score! I'm not too clear on the requirements for interstate unis, so I'll stick with talking about the 3 NSW undergrad med schools.
UNSW:
An estimate of 99+ ATAR should score you a first round interview, for an unbonded offer you would have to do quite well. BTW there's still plenty of time to study for HSC; with 33% weighting ATAR matters a lot.

UWS:
If your GWS applicant, I'd say it is likely you will get an interview. If not it's hard to predict especially since the S3 section has been "devalued" . Whether you get in will then depend on your performance on the interview mainly (66% interview and 33% UMAT I THINK)

JMP:
You should be offered an interview (which has 100% weighting in determining who gets in if I recall correctly). It is based on S1 scores, and in past years the cut off has been around ~60.

There are no chemistry prerequisites (that is you don't HAVE to do chemistry, despite it being recommended) for any of the NSW undergrad med schools. In fact for UNSW, the bridging course is not even compulsory, and indeed the necessary chemistry knowledge will be taught in lectures, albeit very rapidly.

Overall, 94% UMAT and ~99 ATAR is a great combination so apply to any med school you are eligible, and then focus on studying for the HSC now.
EDIT: Also wanted to point out that if get 99+ ATAR / are eligible for bonus points, I'd suggest you consider Queensland Uni's combined MD

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

you have roughly the same UMAT as I did and I got interviews for UNSW, JMP and WSU (didn't apply interstate)

unless the criteria have really changed (to be fair, they could have since 2011), i doubt you will miss out on interviews at these places

theresaaa

HSC
Hello all, I'm a first year engineering student in UNSW.

Last year i received a umat percentile ranking of 50%. Devastated, I accepted my result and considered the UMAT exam as a test I wouldn't do every again. At the time, I was going through the 2014 umat results discussion thread and came across a post from cobalt blue or blue something (I can't remember) who posted that after re-sitting the umat exam, went from 39 to 95 in percentile rankings. Motivated by this post, I decided to resit the exam and really focus on studying for the UMAT this year. I found out yesterday i got a 100% percentile ranking with scores of 72,75,73.

So I guess, i'm writing this post to motivate anyone who was in a similar situation as I was last year, to redo the favour that the person in the 2014 thread did for me. Thanks, and good luck to anyone reading this

WOW! Congrats on you marks!

Can you please tell me how you changed your UMAT studying techniques and what you found most helpful?

Thank you!

And anyone who did it a second time... or first time...any advise on studying techniques and how i can improve my results? THX.

hscmathematics

HSC
Dropped from 99%ile 2014 to 74%ile 2015 :D Still gonna pull a JMP interview and that's all I was aiming for so idgaf

4th time sitting the umat (72, 88, 99, 74)

My biggest piece of advice is to get a good night of sleep and go in to the exam relaxed. From 2013 to 2014 I pulled mmark from 88 to 99 with minimal preparation, I just went into the exam very relaxed and composed

This year I slept about 30 minutes total the night before, was on sleep meds which made me extremely groggy during the exam and was also very sick and stressed. Shows how important it is to be calm and composed during the exam.

Also S3 was significantly different this year compared to previous years. Using tactics I had learnt earlier this year did not help (I believe my S3 mark in 2014 was 100%ile and fhoz year it was the 50%ile). So be careful using old prep materials, they helped me smash S3 in previous years but were my downfall this year.

Any specific questions anyone has, shoot em my way. While I didn't do particularly well this year largely due to those extenuating circumstances, I believe I've still got a fairly good handle on this exam due to my experience with it ^_^

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)