Umat day!!!! (1 Viewer)

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Section 1 - logical reasoning - doctors need this because they need to think and problem solve.

Section 2 - reading, vocabulary, and bull shit - not needed since interpersonal skills are more easily viewable in person at an interview

Section 3 - patterns and puzzles and shit -like an iq test, not really needed but separates natural talent

So section 1 is actually the most relevant and the other two are more to get rid of people (moreso section 2 since it's vocabulary is mostly used to get rid of people that aren't native to English (born here and I can read half that shit) although, this year the vocab was easier).
its bullshit full stop.

enoilgam

HSC
I kind of understand the purpose of the UMAT, but I think the test is highly ineffective in achieving its purpose. I made this post the other day in the HSN, so I will repost it here where it is more relevant

"The rationale behind the UMAT is that it identifies traits and attributes in people which are desired in physicians. We studied psychometric tests (the UMAT is a glorified psychometric test) in HR at university and a lot of academic boffins and their research suggests that they are very effective. I think its complete voodoo though, these tests may be effective at identifying certain traits but they cant say whether you will exhibit them in a practical setting (i.e. a person may exhibit strong leadership traits on a test, but this doesnt necessarily mean that they are good leaders). I also disagree with the research statistics into psychometric tests, but I wont go on about that because it will be a case of tl;dr."

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
its a test that serves two purposes.
1. universities dont have the headache of having to select from 20,000 people for interviews.
2. ACER rakes in some nice cash
although it does test intelligence to an extent, its value in identifying good future medical practitioners is close to 0.

halapenyo

HSC
It's a completely unnecessary test. being successful in medicine has very less to do with intelligence, its just about how much you read and research. my mum has no fuckin idea about anything IRL but shes still a successful doctor because she studied her ass off in her 20s.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
What do you think of GAMSAT?
gamsat actually has a purpose. it tests the basic sciences, social science and writing skills which is what allows graduate medicine courses to be 4 years instead of 5 or 6. if you are able to pass the exam, you are deemed to be competent in these which is what is taught in year 1 of an undergraduate medicine course.

sophisms

HSC
hmm.. did anyone have a really bad stomachache (ie diarrhea) before the exam? Or was it just me..... LOL :/

HSC
N/A
...so people around Australia did the umat?

Wow.

Or maybe it's like one of those equivalence things that nsw has if people want to study interstate i.e. our atar is equated to whatever a certain state uses

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
...so people around Australia did the umat?

Wow.

Or maybe it's like one of those equivalence things that nsw has if people want to study interstate i.e. our atar is equated to whatever a certain state uses
Nah, people all around the world do it baby.

HSC
N/A
Nah, people all around the world do it baby.
ACT
canberra
New South Wales
Armidale, dubbo, Newcastle, Sydney
Northern Territory
Alice Springs, darwin
Queensland
Brisbane, cairns, Gold coast, Townsville
South Australia
Adelaide
Tasmania
Hobart, launceston
Victoria
Bendigo, Geelong, Melbourne, Mildura, Sale, Shepparton
Western Australia
Perth
New Zealand
Auckland, dunedin
Singapore
United Kingdom
london
United States of America
Washington dc

whoa, that's crazy.
I actually thought it was a NSW only thing, but was accepted by interstate unis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)