Umat (1 Viewer)

funkychickie

who here is doing the UMAT? any tips? hey does anyone know where i can get some more of the section 3 questions from cause i kinda suck at them....
anyways its on my 18th bday!!
anyone going to glebe???
anyways catch yas

Huy

HSC
N/A
hey funky, im doing it as well.

but try searching the board first ... as there are plenty of threads about umat.

have you visited acer.edu.au/unitest?
it has a few sample Q's inside the information booklet,
as well as another set of sample Qs

but other than that, nope.
acer don't release past papers.

im going to glebe :)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
glebe at 8. blah.
i have no idea how to get there so im hoping everyone else will get lost so i wont look stupid.
and with section III - i still cant find one of the shapes in the question. I HAVE NO FUTURE.
oh well. woe is me

Huy

HSC
N/A
Just on the same topic,
Does anybody know how to get there?

I'm scheduled for the 2pm session, Glebe.

I'm assuming *most* people are getting there by public transport? So would I be safe to "follow the crowd"? :)

ie catch a train
be on the look out for 17-18 year olds who look intelligent
follow them to wentworth park function centre? :D

if anyone is scheduled for the 2pm session,
would they want to give me directions? :) i hate asking for help in public, hehe.

thanks guys/girls :)
(who's catching a train? let's meet? i dont want to get lost on this big day... :p)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
lol *sigh* 8 in the morning is a bum... :p and meee only have a vague idea on how to get there... it's on what... Wednesday? lol.. right Wednesday... I think you just have to take a train to Town Hall and after that, there are a few options which I have discovered 20 minutes ago:
1. Walk there
2. Light Rail
3. Bus - (no idea about this)
4. Taxi - (*sigh* in 18 years of my life I just disconvered that i't s $1.44 per km for the first 12k's and $2.03 every k after that.. and there is a flag fall of.... can't remember, i think it was $2.95... although... even expensive... that seems to be a pretty good option - lol, I've never beeeeeeeen on a taxi in Sydney :p)

and.. BabyDoll, I still can't find the shapes neither! I must admit that I'm probably too dumb to sit the UMAT... oh well... and I though why not give it a shot :) you'll be fine... and who said a similar question is going to be in this year's UMAT? (actually... quite likely :p) Take care and good luck to you all...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
actually, mito, it's better to go via Central Light Rail... Light Rail doesn't go to Town Hall (I don't think)

Huy

HSC
N/A
i just looked at the prices,

$8.40 from fairfield to central by train
adult, return

+ $4.90 from central station to wentworth park by light rail
adult, return

websites:

http://www.cityrail.info/fares/

http://www.metrolightrail.com.au/

i didn't know it was so expensive, to go to the city for a day.
(i dont have a student concession card since i walk to/from school :()

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Thank you.. thank you :) hopefully I'll get there tomorrow... I'm still drilling into the map trying to find something now (but I don't know what I'm looking for)... oh well... I'm sorta shaking now, hopefully I don't cry after the exam like I did after the selective school test in year 6... lol, I didn't know english by them (maybe not) and the whole paper was english... yeah.. english... anyways, I love it now... but yeah... I wouldn't have found the shape in those two questions without having to look at the answers... hopefully they won't be in the 2003 paper... take care and good luck to you all! might see you there!

DON'T FORGET TO BRING THE FOLLOWING THINGS:
1. ID
2. YOURSELF
3. CONFIDENCE

oooh... and breath, just breeeeath if you are too stressed or shaking like me now... Good luck!

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
good luck have fun everyone
i hope lots of people make it so they dont flood the courses i wana get into :D

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
UMAT was frucking hard!!! >.<
No med for me now *despairs*

nerdd

haha
i couldn't get the first section III one which had numbers in them. AND I'M USUALLY A MATHS PERSON! i was like wtf. then the other two that were like that i just guessed.
i had to guess (i.e. without even turning the page to the question) like the last 9-10 questions of Section I because i didn't realise the time!

and HOW ANNOYING was that guy who was on the loudspeaker? fark. we can read ourselves! haha. oh well. it gave us time to read the question i suppose.

and to anyone who did it at 8, in section II, with the converstaion between Reg and the mum, what was his attitude when he said 'What about him? What are you going to do about him?'
i said insensitive.. i hated those qns! they could've been any of them!!!

what about those 'what would you say to make them relax?'
how can there be a right and wrong?! doesn't that more reflect what would relax us? so therefore it's our opinion? pfft.

what did the rest of you think?

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
lol... whole heartly agree with you nerdd... it's all a mess for me today.... this is my story if you don't mind reading... it's my worst day since the titration competition you know...

*this is a quote.. i just told my friend my story*

okay... first of all, waking up at 5:45am in the morning isn't good, but i was okay with that... so I got to the station and got on the train just on time... I thought things were going to be okay, then I got off the train at Town Hall, and right in front of the gate thingy, I realised that I've lost the ticket... so I had to talk to that woman.... lucky she was quite nice and let me through.... so... yeah... then I started to find my way to the venue, you know.. it's quite emberassing to carry a map around on the street... and occasionally walked into the wrong street and had to turn around.... so the journey which was supposed to take me 20 minutes has increased to 40... I get to the centre right on time, but then I had to wait 1 and a half hour to get into it.... the standing wasn't quite nice and on top of it was the coldness of 8 o'clock, so.. i finally got in.... then the exam commenced after like 25 minutes.... in the first section.. there were 44 questions and I only did 27 of them and the rest was just straignt line down the page, ALL Cs, then the second section was okay.... missed 4 and I put in ALL Ds for them.... the third wasn't too bad... missed around 6 and I put in ALL Es for them.. soo... there I go, outta the exam place, and I saw groups of people... I didn't really strike me before when I was waiting to go in, but..... it did now after the exam.... they all have friends and family.... so I struggled for my mobile and called my mum... she has difficulty understanding english... and I hate to speak non-english in public... so the conversation went for about 30 seconds.... and I rang my friend after that.... quite lucky she missed the bus and was home.... so I we talked for 3 minutes... then I walked to QVB, and bought some sweet things to comfor myself at 3 differnet shops and one pack of chocolate sultana at Darrel Lea.... then bought a ticket to blacktown for TaFe.... everything was fine and I successfully got to Strathfield, then another night mare of the day happened... I found myself on the wrong train route when I arrived Eastwood, whish is an exotic place far from Blacktown... so I changed train there... waited for 15 minutes for the train to come.... got back to strathfieild, and changed train again to blacktown.... but I took me almost an hour to get onto the blacktown train... and I suffered an hour of non-english.... and finally I got to TaFe, they didn't do much because my class was full of slackos.... so we just did what I've already finished... I mean they... so yeah.... haven't had lunch and i ate my sweet things during the break, 2 outta 3 were really crab.... NOT QVB quality.... and someone didn't listen to the TaFe teacher during class so the always-nice teacher got really angry with a gal she's never shouted at... the only good things were: 1. when I heard many people saying they couldn't do the things, 2. I ate my chocolate sultana at Eastwood and 3. ooooh.... not even 3, that's it that's my day...

oooh... forget to mention the piece of mango on the tart was only canned-mango... wasn't even the real thing... well... yeah... i'm really dumb right? caught the wrong train, didn't finished almost 20 questions in the first section... The worst thing is, the more I did, the more I wanted to be able to do and the more I wanted to get into med @ UNSW.. well... who doesn't..? but then... when you, (at least in my case), finish it... you just have the impression that you are very far from reality and hope that the cut off score will be adjusted so that you are qualified... *sigh* yes, i'm reinforcing this - I am dumb... but... at least I gave it a shot... my chance is like... *hopefully not though*.... the point of a needle now, I hope you guys went good and I wish all of you good luck for the rest of this selection. Take care... bye bye... *need a good cry now*

Last edited:
N

ND

Yeh the first section went pretty quick (i heard the 10 mins left thing and had to rush the last few questions, only 1 straight out guess though). Section 2 was pretty straight forward, but it'll probably kill my marks anyway. On section 3 i missed 3 shapes (and only 1 was a type 2 :rolleyes: ). Did anyone at the 2pm one get 91 and 92 (i think it was those), i swear the shapes are just not in there! :eek: What was that 'select the middle shape in the sequence' thing? I must've read that about 15 times, and i'm still not sure i understand what it meant (i hope i did, otherwise i've lost like 5 marks). Most of the patterns were quite easy (but i wasn't sure on those ones with numbers, it had something to do with adding or subtracting one of the numbers with the square root of the other). I'm not too happy with my performance...

Huy

HSC
N/A
2PM session, (just got back home at 8pm)

Section I - used up all the time, no guessing
Section II - had about 10 minutes spare, re-checked my answers
Section III - answered about 60%, no time left, guessed the rest.

:)

hat was that 'select the middle shape in the sequence' thing? I must've read that about 15 times, and i'm still not sure i understand what it meant (i hope i did, otherwise i've lost like 5 marks).
you had to put the 5 shapes in a logical order,
THEN pick the middle shape.

e.g.
A B C D E
the middle one, C is your answer

and if they gave you:
A B C D E
and the logical sequence was:
B A E D C
then it would be E, the middle one out of 5 :)

N

ND

Originally posted by Huy

you had to put the 5 shapes in a logical order,
THEN pick the middle shape.

e.g.
A B C D E
the middle one, C is your answer

and if they gave you:
A B C D E
and the logical sequence was:
B A E D C
then it would be E, the middle one out of 5 :)
Ah good, that's what i did. But the first one remained first right (otherwise how else would you decide where to start)?

Huy

HSC
N/A
that's a good Q

i think that's what i did as well
i started with A first
then picked the ones in logical order which would go AFTER A (ie second pic, then third, then fourth...)

but that should be the way to do it
otherwise, people would start all over the place! :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i stuffed up first section...maybe i will get 5-10 wrong...toher sections i am confident with...especially section two...so easy~~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)