Umat (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
they were the ones with: "listen to ..." instead of "tell"
and "reassure" instead of "explain"

lol
the dentistry ones kind of tricked me, but i hope i chose right :)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i think for some of them there's a logical start and end, like the numbers one, not sure bout the others, didnt really have time to check... i cant remember now anyway.

did anyone get that column graph-like question in section 3? it was the 1st of the series questions, i stared at it for a min and nothing popped out...hmmm :\

section 2 was the only 1 where i had plenty time to check and everything...for all teh questions asking for a response i chose the option that invites a discussion about fears etc...hahaha

did anyone actually listened to the instructions instead of working through the 1st couple of questions at teh start of each section? :p

N

ND

Did anyone notice that on the last page of section 2, you could actually see through to the first page of section 3? I only realized this after having gone through all of section 2 again, and so didn't have much time left. I still managed to find one shape before the start of section 3 though. :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
yes
i noticed it

i flipped through all of section 2, just to see how many pages i had to go before time was up :)

so i saw the puzzle/grid for type I/II 'find-the-shape's
but i couldn't see things back to front, so it didn't matter.
before the start of section III, as the guy was talking
i found the first shape, type 1
which was nice :)

then i stuffed it all up hehe, skipping all type 2's

stinger

Banned
A place where something is or could be located
Originally posted by ND
Most of the patterns were quite easy (but i wasn't sure on those ones with numbers, it had something to do with adding or subtracting one of the numbers with the square root of the other). I'm not too happy with my performance...
that one ... i don't know if this is right, but they each had a square number in it ... 1,4,9,16,25
so i just ranked them in that order ... i didn't know what the other numbers were for

and did anyone else think section 2 was the HARDEST section!
how could you differentiate between some of the answers .. they were all basically the same

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
hmmm..... *crying now*... many of you guys seem to have done well in section 1... that just killed me.. my problem is, as one of the questions in there which mentioned about the relationship about short term memory and reading - that's my problem, what takes you guys 1 time to read and understand will take me twice as much effort - one to read and one and get an idea and one to remember the details... guess I should look forward to next year's UMAT... anyways... I'm not sure about this.. but I think I've found a wrong question in section 3... you know in one of those questions which asks you to rearrange the sequence and pick the middle one? one of them near the end of the paper contained shapes with two ellipses and 3 numbers, and the middle number was ment to be the sum of the perfect square and the other number on the opposite side... but then (A) of that question was: 1 and 23 on the sides and 24 in the middle but the others were fine... lol... i'm not sure... didn't notice much about whether being vertical or horizontal will have any effect on it.. but i don't think so..

nerdd

hahah i skipped all of type 2 patterns too. wsa there only one? cause i KNEW i'd waste os much time. so well i jsut guessed. i think i put D for those. lol. anyways.

did anyone else find that B happened to be in a lot of them?! like in the type 1...??/ and they did say that it's sposed to be the same size and orientation and whatever... ok i don't know what i'm trying to say.

yeah I hated section II the most.
so pathetic.

what's that whole thing about Reg asking his mum what he's gonna do about the mute boy?
WTF?!

and the alcoholic guy talking to the doctor. "my wife's a problem".
HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW IF IT'S HUMOROUS, LIGHTHEARTED, OR IRRITATED & ANGRY OR WHATEVER?!
IT DEPENDS ON THEIR TONE OF VOICE DAMNIT!
hahaha

oh well. :p

funkychickie

yeh well it was my 18th birthday that day and i was on the train coming from the central coast and the train stopped!!! i was freakin out thinking holy sh** what if we dont get there in time- for the 2pm session... then yeh we had to catch a cab to the wentworth function centre cause i have no idea how to get there... then we were there at 2 and all the people seemed like really smart doctors! then we got separated and my friend was in the A_K and i was in the K-Z so i was stressed cause i didnt know a soul.. i didnt check this the night before to see who else was coming!!! i was seat 544... please say u were there near me! but yeh then we didnt start till 3:30 and i was like come on ! its my birthday what are we doing wasting time.. then we didnt finish to 6:03! and i didnt get home till nearly 9:00... too too late! yeh talk about section 3!! how hard was it.. the other parts were easy but this part i could only mainly get the type 1 shape thingys!! hey did u think they were natzis with the whole only do the section everyone else is doing! i had like 20 mins in the first section and 15 in the second i could have used to do the last part!!! how GAY!!!! anyways please write back :)
sorry i missed ya HUY where u in the top or bottom.. (a-k or k-z)

funkychickie

Originally posted by ND
Ah good, that's what i did. But the first one remained first right (otherwise how else would you decide where to start)?
the reason for that is that if u went in reverse order or the right order it doesnt matter cause there are an odd number of shapes so the middle will always be the middle assuming the order is correct!!

funkychickie

Originally posted by ND
Did anyone notice that on the last page of section 2, you could actually see through to the first page of section 3? I only realized this after having gone through all of section 2 again, and so didn't have much time left. I still managed to find one shape before the start of section 3 though. :D
sames!!! it was so good!!! but i did the same with the whole guessing thing! i just found that i had 5 mins to go and more than half left it was so so hard the last section so i just guess any letter!! hehehe

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by funkychickie
sorry i missed ya HUY where u in the top or bottom.. (a-k or k-z)
i was in K-Z, seat number 887 or something like that.
the last seat in my column was 888, and i was sitting in the second last seat from the end.

the air conditioner was going off i think,
the guy wheeling the booklets came around the back,
and the refrigerator was going on/off.

plus i was very sneezy and had tissues on my desk, coughing and blowing my nose during the test :)

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by mitochondria

okay... first of all, waking up at 5:45am in the morning isn't good, but i was okay with that... so I got to the station and got on the train just on time... I thought things were going to be okay, then I got off the train at Town Hall, and right in front of the gate thingy, I realised that I've lost the ticket... so I had to talk to that woman.... lucky she was quite nice and let me through.... so... yeah... then I started to find my way to the venue, you know.. it's quite emberassing to carry a map around on the street... and occasionally walked into the wrong street and had to turn around.... so the journey which was supposed to take me 20 minutes has increased to 40... I get to the centre right on time, but then I had to wait 1 and a half hour to get into it.... the standing wasn't quite nice and on top of it was the coldness of 8 o'clock, so.. i finally got in.... then the exam commenced after like 25 minutes.... in the first section.. there were 44 questions and I only did 27 of them and the rest was just straignt line down the page, ALL Cs, then the second section was okay.... missed 4 and I put in ALL Ds for them.... the third wasn't too bad... missed around 6 and I put in ALL Es for them.. soo... there I go, outta the exam place, and I saw groups of people... I didn't really strike me before when I was waiting to go in, but..... it did now after the exam.... they all have friends and family.... so I struggled for my mobile and called my mum... she has difficulty understanding english... and I hate to speak non-english in public... so the conversation went for about 30 seconds.... and I rang my friend after that.... quite lucky she missed the bus and was home.... so I we talked for 3 minutes... then I walked to QVB, and bought some sweet things to comfor myself at 3 differnet shops and one pack of chocolate sultana at Darrel Lea.... then bought a ticket to blacktown for TaFe.... everything was fine and I successfully got to Strathfield, then another night mare of the day happened... I found myself on the wrong train route when I arrived Eastwood, whish is an exotic place far from Blacktown... so I changed train there... waited for 15 minutes for the train to come.... got back to strathfieild, and changed train again to blacktown.... but I took me almost an hour to get onto the blacktown train... and I suffered an hour of non-english.... and finally I got to TaFe, they didn't do much because my class was full of slackos.... so we just did what I've already finished... I mean they... so yeah.... haven't had lunch and i ate my sweet things during the break, 2 outta 3 were really crab.... NOT QVB quality.... and someone didn't listen to the TaFe teacher during class so the always-nice teacher got really angry with a gal she's never shouted at... the only good things were: 1. when I heard many people saying they couldn't do the things, 2. I ate my chocolate sultana at Eastwood and 3. ooooh.... not even 3, that's it that's my day...

oooh... forget to mention the piece of mango on the tart was only canned-mango... wasn't even the real thing... well... yeah... i'm really dumb right? caught the wrong train, didn't finished almost 20 questions in the first section... The worst thing is, the more I did, the more I wanted to be able to do and the more I wanted to get into med @ UNSW.. well... who doesn't..? but then... when you, (at least in my case), finish it... you just have the impression that you are very far from reality and hope that the cut off score will be adjusted so that you are qualified... *sigh* yes, i'm reinforcing this - I am dumb... but... at least I gave it a shot... my chance is like... *hopefully not though*.... the point of a needle now, I hope you guys went good and I wish all of you good luck for the rest of this selection. Take care... bye bye... *need a good cry now*
i bet im the only one that read your post :)

im sure you will do fine, at least you gave it a good shot
you will definately beat inasero since he is a dumbass :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
mitochondria (even the nick is long to type)

do what i do, break it up into legible paragraphs,
give the eyes a break :)

*goes to read mito's post*

mito, you definately had a bad day there.
mine was "okay"

got up, skipped school,
caught the train, couldn't find the right bus, but i was with some friends so that was okay.

the worst part of my day?
6pm coldness, walking back from wentworth park to central station (we couldn't find a bus, and had to ask for directions to the station)

that was it, nothing spectacular, but it doesn't compare to yours mito. (sorry, i don't like typing out really long names, hope you understand :))

you'll do fine,
i guessed about 10+ questions in the final section (3).
although for sections 1 and 2, i used up the time pretty well, finishing 5 mins before the time was up (i guessed a few).

just wait until september and we'll see how everybody goes :)
think positive!

*sings that song on tv*
"you've got to ... accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative..latch on the affirmative, don't mess with mr in-between!" :)

lyrics at http://www.heptune.com/lyrics/accenttc.html
LOL (i actually looked for them...)

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
to newbie: stfu u n00b...u didtn even do the umat !! :p

N

ND

Originally posted by funkychickie
the reason for that is that if u went in reverse order or the right order it doesnt matter cause there are an odd number of shapes so the middle will always be the middle assuming the order is correct!!
Yeh but on most of them, you could have started anywhere. There was nothing that said because something is upright it means it's the start.

nerdd

i was on seat 916 :D heh ground floor on the wednesday at 8.
anyone near me?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
OMG yeah!
i was seat 906 something.. i think! im not sure

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Did everyone really find the UMAT that hard? I thought it was pretty straightforward. Not easy, mind, but doable nonetheless. Please tell me I'm not flasely confident and screwed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)