Under what circumstances would you ever need to repeat year 10? (1 Viewer)

animeiswild

HSC
So my cousin will be going into yr 11 next year and he's worried about being forced to repeat yr 10 because he failed PE or something. And he started sprouting stuff bout N awards and stuff. If I remember correctly, N awards are something along the lines of non-attempting something or another right? Can they apply an N award to the physical component of PE? Because he failed pretty much most of the physical stuff. And he's scared that he might have to repeat year 10 because he can't I dunno, trampoline or dance. I told him that its unlikely he would have to repeat year 10 but I'm just asking to be sure. So, what's his likeliness of repeating?

EDIT: and he didn't bring his uniform half the time.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Low chance of repeating. And they can't fail you for being bad at PE, they can only fail you if you didn't put any work in/do anything. Hell, a fat kid in a wheelchair could pass PE.

animeiswild

HSC
Low chance of repeating. And they can't fail you for being bad at PE, they can only fail you if you didn't put any work in/do anything. Hell, a fat kid in a wheelchair could pass PE.
Haha, true, thanks! =)

Belleville50

HSC
I have known one person only to repeat year 10 in NSW and that was due to basic literacy issues. He was also one of the younger in the class which is usually considered. (Not that my experience is more than the schools of my own family and my friends' family).

Having moved to South Australia now, I have also known one to repeat here but given that SACE is a three year course (10-12) the conditions are obviously different. The student here was kept back for one extra semester of year 10 and went on to year 11 without issue in July. Same campus etc makes it simpler. He had been truant for a great deal of year 10 and with more settled family circumstances he had a chance to catch up. Neither of those students were heading into pre-tertiary lines.

Schools hate keeping students back, particularly in the upper years. There's a very real danger the student will give up on his/her dreams and opt out. The biggest likely issue for your cousin, if PE is the main problem and all else is fine, is if he is trying to get into an exclusive school and the PE issue is perceived as a lack of school participation. (Or if he is after a sports scholarship).

RG11

HSC
no school would make a student repeat year 10 because of P.E... unless its a sports high or something

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Would they repeat someone who has <30% or something attendance rate, doesn't even show up to her half yearlies nor goes to the teacher to catch up on her exams, doesn't hand in any assessments/assignments at all since the beginning of the year?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Would they repeat someone who has <30% or something attendance rate, doesn't even show up to her half yearlies nor goes to the teacher to catch up on her exams, doesn't hand in any assessments/assignments at all since the beginning of the year?
They should. I'm not sure if they will (and they probably won't), but they should.

There's no excuse for missing exams and assignments. And <30% attendance is pretty shithouse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)