Unfair report grade? (1 Viewer)

sweetiez09

HSC
I recently received my year 10 half yearly report card, and received a B in Religious Education. Seeing as that extra 'A' grade would have made me receive an academic award, I'm not entirely happy about this. I don't really know about weighting and how marks work 100%, but I'm hoping I could hear from you guys if the B was the right grade, or I should have got an A and have a right to contest to it.

Our half yearly report on each subject is based on the two formal assessments we did and this is what I received.

Assessment 1: 28/30 Weighting: 30%
Assessment 2: 17/20. Weighting: 20%

In both assessments I received an A.

Thanks. :)

nightweaver066

HSC
Currently your course mark is 90%.

That's usually the cut off for A? Sometimes 95%.

You should ask your teacher what they base the grades on.

enoilgam

HSC
Different schools have different standards when it comes to giving out grades (i.e. 70 at one school might be an A, whilst 70 at another might be a B). So as nightweaver said, just ask your teacher why you were given a B instead of an A.

russ3l

HSC
Sometimes its depended on how well you did compared to everyone else

sweetiez09

HSC
Thanks. A friend of mine who is in Year 10 received an A in Religious education for her report even though she received a B in the first assessment task worth 30%, so I'm not sure if my teacher just dislikes me or not.

Would like to know first though before I bring it up with my teacher if I should have received an A/ or atleast a good chance of receiving one.

enoilgam

HSC
Thanks. A friend of mine who is in Year 10 received an A in Religious education for her report even though she received a B in the first assessment task worth 30%, so I'm not sure if my teacher just dislikes me or not.

Would like to know first though before I bring it up with my teacher if I should have received an A/ or atleast a good chance of receiving one.
I think you have a good case, but as mentioned before its difficult to say. Just make a polite inquiry with your teacher and they should be able to give you some kind of answer.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Firstly, in VERY rare cases, percentages may not determine what grade you get but rather your teacher's perception of you as being a B or an A grade student.
If you look at the grade scale, there are certain descriptions and if your teacher thinks you do not fit the description of the A grade (despite you getting 85+ or 90+ which are the usual A grade cut-offs) then you will end up with a lower grade.
E.g. You get 90% and your friend gets 87%, you get a B while your friend gets an A because your friend fits the A grade descriptions while you don't.
I remember once, my friend got a lower % than me in the Year 9 Science Yearly Report but got an A while I got a B. I asked my teacher about it and yeah... there was no error on his part... (gave me some explanation but I still wasn't satisfied.. but oh well I just accepted it)

Another problem is calculation errors. Yes they rarely happen but they CAN happen. Did you get 90% like you were supposed to?

What should you do to possibly change your mark?
- Talk to your teacher about it
- If you are not satisfied with his explanation and still have the desire to change your mark, go to the head teacher and ask how the grading worked.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Marks aren't everything. For a year 10 report I wouldn't care at all.

Kingportable

HSC

That indicates different people mat have graded you. Or at least some how different standards were applied.

sweetiez09

HSC
Yea, I understand that sometimes they can't give out too many A's so maybe those people that recevied them did better than me. The thing however is that Religious Education is one of those subjects in our school that give out a numerous amount of A's- anywhere from maybe 40-50 and we have a year group of around 170 students.

A number of those who received A's did less better than me, including some people who are in my own class, meaning that the same teacher who graded them graded me.

I don't want it to sound like I'm ungrateful or making a big deal out if it, but Religious Education is a subject I have always received an A in. If I actually truly deserved a B this time, then I'm ok with that. However if I should have been awarded an A instead of a B, I'd definitely want that to be discussed.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea, I understand that sometimes they can't give out too many A's so maybe those people that recevied them did better than me. The thing however is that Religious Education is one of those subjects in our school that give out a numerous amount of A's- anywhere from maybe 40-50 and we have a year group of around 170 students.

A number of those who received A's did less better than me, including some people who are in my own class, meaning that the same teacher who graded them graded me.

I don't want it to sound like I'm ungrateful or making a big deal out if it, but Religious Education is a subject I have always received an A in. If I actually truly deserved a B this time, then I'm ok with that. However if I should have been awarded an A instead of a B, I'd definitely want that to be discussed.
Go discuss it with your teacher and the head teacher then. (Refer to my above post) ^

powlmao

Banned
HSC
At my school, it isn't just your grade. It is your overall performance in the class. So it you never came to class, did shit all, fucked around, didn't contribute. You would never get an A regardless of your mark

sweetiez09

HSC
powlmao - That's fair, but I always turn up to class and contribute to class lessons. :)

RivalryofTroll - Thanks, I will do that. :)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
powlmao - That's fair, but I always turn up to class and contribute to class lessons. :)

RivalryofTroll - Thanks, I will do that. :)
You sound like a person who has every right to know the reason for your overall report mark. Do not be shy. Go ahead and question your teacher for why you have been given a B (in a friendly manner of course). Perhaps the teachers have accidentally made an error. It is fine to check if you have legitimate reason to do so.

sweetiez09

HSC
You sound like a person who has every right to know the reason for your overall report mark. Do not be shy. Go ahead and question your teacher for why you have been given a B (in a friendly manner of course). Perhaps the teachers have accidentally made an error. It is fine to check if you have legitimate reason to do so.
Thanks. I usually don't like questioning teachers about grades I received as I feel like I'm giving off the impression that I'm stuck up, but I'll do it this time just like you said, a polite enquiry. :)

Did you achieve all course outcomes 100%
If you mean by that I completed all course outcomes to the best of my ability, then yes.

animeiswild

HSC
I believe that in some schools there are a certain amount of people who receive As. Maybe you were just below the cut-off. Anyway, just ask your teacher politely if it really bugs you.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
When you ask it preface it in a nice way, "like you really care about RE and want to improve for yearly and were wondering what else/why you did not get an A and what you need to improve on".

Just don't be like "I deserve an A!" it all comes across in the tone :) But if you don't ask, you'll never know so go ahead and ask :)

Ellaphant

HSC
I had the same problem last year for my English grade. I realised it wasn't just the assessment tasks.. :< I apparently didn't contribute enough to class discussions so my ranking dropped and my friend came in the rank before me haha.

But at the same time you seem to really care about this topic so do take it up with your head teacher, I'm sure you do deserve an A :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)