Unfair Weighted Exam (1 Viewer)

ChocoWarrior

HSC
Hi
So i recently had a physics exam recently which was weighted 30% of internals. The science factuly in all their wisdom made it out of 14. I ended up with 9. This was the first exam i screwed up in all year. My friend who i beat in every exam by 1 mark, and who got 10 in this exam is now smashing me. The only way for me to catch up is to beat him in trials by 4+ marks. Is this not unfair? I was ranked 9th before this exam and the top 9 positions were very bunched up. Some of those people got 14/14 for this exam, and the only way for me to catch up in trails is to beat them by approx 30 marks which will not happen. Isnt this unfair testing? Should i talk to schools liaison officer?

tHANKS

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Why is that unfair?
You screwed up your exam, they didn't.
I'm sure you were aware of the weighting.

I can sympathise with the fact you now need a ridiculous mark to beat them now, but you were aware that you had an exam, you knew the weighting and you knew you needed to do your best in order to keep your rank up.

RishBonjour

HSC
I don't think its unfair at all. I had a 30% prac out of 15. Since 'some' of the top 9 got 14/14, it must have been a fair/doable test. If you see yourself as part of the 'top 9', you should have scored near full marks.
Trials are 40% ? you should be able to catch up if you work hard from now! good luck.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
You knew the weighting, you didnt recognise it. Not unfair at all. Stop worrying about the past and studying hard for the trials. Complaining about the past and looking for what you want to hear (oh yes, its heaps unfair, you should be first blah blah) is a complete waste of time. Worry about the things that are in your power

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi
So i recently had a physics exam recently which was weighted 30% of internals. The science factuly in all their wisdom made it out of 14. I ended up with 9. This was the first exam i screwed up in all year. My friend who i beat in every exam by 1 mark, and who got 10 in this exam is now smashing me. The only way for me to catch up is to beat him in trials by 4+ marks. Is this not unfair? I was ranked 9th before this exam and the top 9 positions were very bunched up. Some of those people got 14/14 for this exam, and the only way for me to catch up in trails is to beat them by approx 30 marks which will not happen. Isnt this unfair testing? Should i talk to schools liaison officer?

tHANKS
It is not unfair, everyone is treated under the same conditions.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Shit you lost 10%

Just try your best in trials, and see what you can do. Don't over-analyze what you no longer control.

Lul

HSC
I suggest you work hard for the trials, if you want to catch up on your loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
lol.. opposite happened to me during hsc, all these people tried so hard in these little 5-10% assessments, nek minut they stuff up 40% trial

play the game babeh

ChocoWarrior

HSC
lol.. opposite happened to me during hsc, all these people tried so hard in these little 5-10% assessments, nek minut they stuff up 40% trial

play the game babeh
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html
Its bout ranks bro, even if they stuff up trials they will do it by 10 marks max. i need to beat them by 30 odd marks to catch up. I knew it was gonna be 30% just not be out of 14 marks. i managed to get 1 mark back so im on 10 now but the average is 11/14. I worked hard all year and end of screwing up this exam which makes it impossible to regain my position.

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html
Its bout ranks bro, even if they stuff up trials they will do it by 10 marks max. i need to beat them by 30 odd marks to catch up. I knew it was gonna be 30% just not be out of 14 marks. i managed to get 1 mark back so im on 10 now but the average is 11/14. I worked hard all year and end of screwing up this exam which makes it impossible to regain my position.
Bad luck with the 30% assessment. No exam is unfair, that's just your perspective. Do your best in the trials & HSC exam and hope for the best.

omyguru

HSC
bro im calling the police, that is so unfair, must be reported to the police, calling them right now.

Makematics

HSC
i'll tell you what's bad (but not unfair) weighting. our prac exams were 35% weighting and trials were 30 -.-

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
i'll tell you what's bad (but not unfair) weighting. our prac exams were 35% weighting and trials were 30 -.-
Wow... Trials are worth less than the prac exam?

(I'd love that... :haha: since I tend to strive in those small exams compared to like a trial/yearly test for Physics)

I don't think its unfair at all. I had a 30% prac out of 15. Since 'some' of the top 9 got 14/14, it must have been a fair/doable test. If you see yourself as part of the 'top 9', you should have scored near full marks. Trials are 40% ? you should be able to catch up if you work hard from now! good luck.
I agree that you can't classify it as 'unfair' BUT...

I kind of disagree with the bolded --> sillies can do damage for these assessments even if you are a top student especially on a bad day. I.e. If a test was 30% weighting, had 30 marks... Just 4 marks worth of sillies = 4% gone... Meanwhile 2 marks worth of sillies in a Trials out of 100 marks = less significant % lost.

@OP: Well my most recent Physics exam (3rd task) also had a weighting of 30% --> test was out of 30 marks. (I got 25/30 --> made a few sillies and criteria stuff made me lose marks too)

Meanwhile Trials is 35% --> but out of 100 marks.

Essentially, Trials has shitter 'returns' per mark compared to our 3rd task where 1 mark = 1% essentially.

In the end, you can't do much but just accept it.

This is why these 'smaller' exams are so important and adding them together - they have better 'returns' compared to trials.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
its on purpose for schools like yours, because they know the calibre of students is strong and want students to be as close together as possible in relative ranking (ceebs explaining technicalities)

motaba

HSC
I agree with you, having a 30% weighted exam with a mark out of 14 is completely unfair.
It is not properly testing your true skills, as many intelligent people will lose single marks on silly mistakes or such. An exam of that magnitude should have a higher mark.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with you, having a 30% weighted exam with a mark out of 14 is completely unfair.
It is not properly testing your true skills, as many intelligent people will lose single marks on silly mistakes or such. An exam of that magnitude should have a higher mark.
You're implying that the HSC is a fair and accurate test of one's true skills, when it is universally known as just the opposite.

Take a look at bias marking in essay related subjects, kids memorizing tutors essays etc... it's all a game.

Makematics

HSC
Wow... Trials are worth less than the prac exam?

(I'd love that... :haha: since I tend to strive in those small exams compared to like a trial/yearly test for Physics)
its on purpose for schools like yours, because they know the calibre of students is strong and want students to be as close together as possible in relative ranking (ceebs explaining technicalities)
yeah, I did better than usual so that was good for me :) and nah apparently there is some Board of studies policy that says that they can make a maximum of 50% of internal assessments written exams... and the half yearly was 20 so that left 30 for the trial :p it seems no other school has ever heard of this lol...

Makematics

HSC
You're implying that the HSC is a fair and accurate test of one's true skills, when it is universally known as just the opposite.

Take a look at bias marking in essay related subjects, kids memorizing tutors essays etc... it's all a game.
Yeah there is no way that the hsc is a test of so called true skills... it is a test of who can rote learn the best.

Makematics

HSC
the thing is, you cant really say an exam isnt fair because some people make sillies... everyone is doing the same exam and can be prone to sillies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)