Uni Cheap Eats Guide (1 Viewer)

Tabris

HSC
Fish and Chips with gray 6.50,

good value

also char grilled sirloine steak and roast beef if they have it...b4 it runs out

Big Breakfast meal for $6

contains bacon, toast, scrambled eggs, tomato, hash brown sausage and a juice...

good value too and also a great view to enjoy your meal <insert Asylum's pics>...saw a couple ducks around...

the downstair stuff aint good value.... the thai stuff looks 2nd rate and the burgers resemble too much like Maccas

the stuff across the road at Macq centre is great......if u can be bothered going there... Maccas, hungry jacks, oportos, subway, pizza hut.... lots japanese and asian food

the two japanese restaurants at the door are good..but can be quite expensive

The sushi shop on the level below is good...any 4 large rolls for $7 or $6 if they are about to close...

Gloria jeans, Michelle's Pat... and other good venues

of course, who cant forget the coffee cart outside the library.....

I think that covers all the food venues at Macq....

T

timbk2

'Alices' in UTS union... $1.50 (or thereabouts) Fried Rice with curry sauce.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
If you're really tight:

go inside Coles Express @ Town Hall Station ( George Street entrance ) and buy a can of soft drink for about $1.

the go outside to the Coles Bakery
at the moment they offer:
$2.06 Cheese and Bacon Roll ( this thing is huge! )

all up that's $3.05 for a meal if you're really hungry and broke.

bustinjustin

HSC
Mama's Kitchen at the Broadway Centre or on Liverpool Street near the 'Spanish Quarter'
'Bambino'Spaghetti with Bologneise or Napoletana
$4.50
Used to be a larger plate but then they increased this to $6.50 and introduced the 'Bambino' size for $4.50
Bring/Sneak in your own drink, or ask for free tap water
At least you're in a proper restaurant and you have a nice place to sit, eat and chat.

or

Look out for Hungry Jacks coupon, booklets, two Whoppers/Large Burgers for $3 - 4 and give the other burger to a mate, or a cheeseburger and fries-or-drink for $2

bustinjustin

HSC
Woolworths Metro Town Hall

Similar to Coles:

Woolworth Metro at Town Hall
Fries and Wedges from $2 - 2.50
Chicken Chips $4
Pies $2
Chicko Rolls/Spring Rolls $2
Lasagna/Potato Bake: $4
Bottle of Water: $0.60 (cold water: $1.50)

Prices may differ slightly

bustinjustin

HSC
Where can you get clean, cold water from a public tap in the city? Ever since I encountered two cat-sized rats running around McDonalds at The Strand on George Street, I've become increasingly paranoid...

$5 Steaks at the Star Bar

Last edited:

bustinjustin

HSC
I'll get back to you on that one (I just felt obliged to post another cheap eat suggestion)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
are they good $5 steaks

i want to try the steaks at the pub opposite usyd, the name escapes me though...
I believe you are referring to the Lansdowne on the corner of Broadway and City Rd.

Apparently its ok but I've heard from some that it can be fairly dodgy too. Perhaps it depends on what day of the week you go.

The Thai food along King St is the best. Its probably about the same price as Union food, but the value is so much better - the portions are huge and its cooked fresh, not bain marie shit. Newtown Thai is more on the pricey side (although they accept union cards!) and Thai La Ong is the best for value.

Generator

HSC
N/A
bustinjustin said:
Where can you get clean, cold water from a public tap in the city? Ever since I encountered two cat-sized rats running around McDonalds at The Strand on George Street, I've become increasingly paranoid...
Kind of late, but eh... If you were in need of a drink when at uni, why would you waste time and/or money heading into the city? There are however many taps at each and every uni (not to mention back at your own house, too).

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
as far as I know, the only place to eat at UQ is the cafe run by Azn people
which, sucks. And there's nothing nearby, but I don't know, I was too scared of getting stranded there to stay long.

beeflatt

HSC
UNSW cheap eats

* Badabagan (food court under library lawn - most frequented by lazy med students and fbe students who are desperate not to spend their whole week's food allowance at jg's... but its up the Basser Steps, so its painful to get to)
- the vegetarian shop there is AWESOME. best food on campus. even if you're a carnivore, like me. so yummy. Fabulous muffins and salads and rice paper rolls.
- everything else in badabagan is kind of cruddy, but its cheap. Actually, I think the noodle shop is pretty good, but I only ever go there for the Vego shop because Badabagan's too far away from the Red Centre.

* The Collonnade (lower campus)
- Make your own sandwich shop is pretty good and pretty cheap ($3 will buy you a fat sandwich - its billed by weight - and there's all the kind of bread there you could think of). Otherwise, head upstairs to the Collonnade cafe (opposite the Quad store) for their famous (although declining slowly in quality) toasted foccacias for about $3.50 (i can't remember exactly). They have other good stuff too. I personally rate the pumpkin involtini (I think its about $6 but it comes with salad).

* Coffee on Campus (but its a bit of a hike from everywhere at uni because its right down near Anzac Pde. Unless you're on your way in or out, its a pain for lazy people to walk to.) But I hear they do good bagels.

* University Walk, outside the Red Centre... there's food stalls set up there pretty much every 2nd or 3rd week for some cultural or political festival. And the food is always interesting and fairly cheap.

Whatever you do DON'T go to...
- Tasty Bites (aka Nasty Bites) or, for that matter, anything in the Matthews Arcade. That place is dodge city. But their usually the only places open late if you have a late lecture. So you'll probably have to succumb to it at least once. The food just doesn't look fresh and there are many better, fresher (healthier) and cheaper alternatives.
- JGs - the food is AWESOME, the coffee is FABULOUS, the setting is very trendy, but its not a union store and you'll spend probably twice as much as you would everywhere else there. (Its most frequented by staff and fbe students who are sick of walking up the Basser steps to try something different)

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Meldrum said:
What about making your own food?
Are there any kitchens or such you can use in Syd?

Also, where can you get cheap groceries around the city?
Well my question would have to be, is there any microwaves at Syd, and can I use them?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
there are microwaves on the top and bottom levels of the Wentworth building (between the camperdown and darlington campuses). There might be a line at lunch but anyone can use it to heat up leftovers or anything :)

davo_

good kid
HSC
When ya getting steaks so cheap, they don't really care if they cook it properly...
Cheapest place to get beer/other grog, consistently cheap is dan murphy's though.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
Anyone know any cheap eats at UNSW?
UNSW isn't my uni, but I've been there a few times.

The food at UNSW isn't too bad. Certainly better than the stuff at other universities in sydney. And there's a cheap steak (5 or 6 bucks) at a pub down the road (not Anzac Pde but the other street which I can't recall the name of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)