Uni Cheap Eats Guide (1 Viewer)

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Re: UNSW cheap eats

beeflatt said:
- JGs - the food is AWESOME, the coffee is FABULOUS, the setting is very trendy, but its not a union store and you'll spend probably twice as much as you would everywhere else there. (Its most frequented by staff and fbe students who are sick of walking up the Basser steps to try something different)
hey.. anyone know what/wheres JGs is?? it sounds awesome.

Lundy

Banned
HSC

I think it's the cafe on the main walkway near the science theatre.

Last edited:

Conspirocy

HSC
Yeah cheap eats at UNSW

Regent Hotel is the one on Anzac Parade, they have good steak, cook it how you want it (most of the time)...bastards price went up to $6

Mathews Arcade has good thai food as well

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Well Sydney Uni is quite large so going to Newtown can be a hassle if you're on the other side of the campus.

Hmmm for those who frequent fisher library (hey i do research :)) whereabouts would be a good place to get a nice quick (and did i mention cheap ;) snack?

Normally after getting off at Redfern Station I go to this Vietnamese bakery place on Gibbons street (I think) and buy two home-made deli rolls for $3 each which is VERY filling. But if I'm lugging a whole collection of library books to return, I simply go to that sushi store (you know .. the one next to the co-op bookshop) to buy a very filling and warm - good for winter :D - seafood and ramen soup bowl. It's $9 from what I recall

Now I'm not a USYD student so I would like to hear what others go to for their (cheap) sustenance and/or beverages :uhhuh:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Toast.

Its cheap.

I <3 toast.

I want more toast.

I ated it all

</3

phrred

HSC
Conspirocy said:
Yeah cheap eats at UNSW

Regent Hotel is the one on Anzac Parade, they have good steak, cook it how you want it (most of the time)...bastards price went up to $6

Mathews Arcade has good thai food as well
Churchills steak a bit further up is so much better than the Regent. Really nice steak, salad, chips and a beer/soft drink for $9.95

Depends if you can be assed to walk that far

kylie_robbo

For you Wagga CSU students:

The William Farrer (the pub on the cnr of Edward and Peter sts) has a special on Mon and Tues nights: buy your drink (softdrinks are $2.20) and you can chose from either a rump steak, chicken snitzel or a pasta dish for $6.50, and it is serve yourself chips, mashed potato, carrots/beans/peas and salad...

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
also wagga... the commercial club on gurwood street as soup, main and dessert for $10 on saturdays, sometimes its $9.. dont knwo about other days

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
UNSW:

Red Hat (Cantonese) on Anzac Parade is pretty good in terms of taste and value. Also, it's only about 10 minutes walk from the campus.

bustinjustin

HSC
$4.90 Thai or Malaysia at the Broadway Plaza, where you can also get cook-to-order meals for $5.90+. Broadway Plaza is just across the road from the Broadway shopping centre - don't bother with the food court there, but if you do, go for the junior kebabs there, it's not worth getting the regular size the junior ones are just as filling.

The Lansdowne $5 meals are great heaps of choices but you actually end up spending $7-8 and sometimes there;s a bit of a queue.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
anzac parade does have a lot of decent places for food
tried the in chan (thai food) the other day and its a good value for money
thai fried rice, pad thai all for $7.50
well worth it

tlodg

HSC
N/A
I thought uni food was supposed to be cheap, because back then in primary school it was cheap.....and I thought they'd make it cheaper for students. But then, in High School it wasn't really that cheap, and everyone sorta bought chips for lunch (probably cuz of the price)

suzieee

HSC

haha i dont have to worry about this: im going to be staying in a fully catered college (although ive been told most people keep a supply of two minute noodles there for when the food is really bad!)

BlackDragon

HSC

from this thread i have learnt that you are all from sydney.
so what about in general? recipes? ways to make/get good food cheap?
tasty college student food?

deano059

HSC
where abouts are any of the shops in uts - which building; and whats there?

tryx

HSC
UNSW Cheap Eats Guide

The one thing noone seems to have mentioned at unsw is the pavilion, most non psych/bio/med students don't even know it exists. Its the glass thing ABOVE the matthews foodcourt and has by far the best food on campus: DUM DUM DUUUUUM. Presenting! the 3.30 asian chicken roll. A roll crammed with salad and tasty tasty shredded chicken for less than a Colonade Foccacia. Also, while Matthews is generally pretty dodgy, Satay Delight makes a pretty mean $1.50 Dim-Sim.

If you want to wander out, anzac has loads of food, I recommend Dong-Dong noodles, super cheap and fast asian.

grue

HSC
Alternatively, bring food from home! Like a whole cereal box and long life milk! Or a whole loaf of bread and any necessary spread to go with it! Filling and saves a looooot of money :D

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
since i transferred to uts, food isnt a problem :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)