• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Union Board Elections 2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
Re: Semester 1 Chatter

Why did I see WAF running Monica and Tim today? I never thought he was such a pinko.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Re: Uni prank

I saw you get heckled in Australian Politics lecture yesterday Andrew.

For those who weren't there:

Andrew: We (him and Jo Glad) are the only true independent non party backed students running for election

Random in Lecture: Then why are you nominated by the president of the Sydney Uni Liberal Club

Andrew: We'll err...we had err...it was last minute kind of...THAT'S A BIT RICH COMING FROM YOU

After a couple of seconds of a bemused stunned silence another student from the back murmured "Owned". Followed by much raucous laughter.

You definitely put the heckler back in his place Andrew.

What exactly did you mean by that by the way?

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A

No more Union v. Non-Union fights please...

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC

I have nothing to do with the fucking union other than paying my fees.

Why do people keep assuming I do?

I have no association with the union or SRC.

I just like to engage in debate.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

A campaign advertisement, brought to you by Andrew Quah, Your Candidate for Union.

INNOVATIVE THINKING
A UNION REWARDS SCHEME

Imagine if using your USU could mean rewards.

You could enjoy the Union Special in Wentworth, and get reward points on your Access Card.

You could get bonus points for supporting a Club on campus, coming to a concert, shopping at Wentworth or Manning…

You could trade those points in for products at Union outlets across the uni…

Maybe you could trade those points in for, say, Myer™ Gift Certificates…

Innovative thinking!

ANDREWQUAH
YOUR CANDIDATE FOR UNION

This advertisement is authorised by the Candidate, SN200310929.
More information, www.andrewquah.com

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Union Board Elections 2006 - UPDATED 26/4

You could've at least been smart and invoked Godwin's Law.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Phanatical said:
A wank campaign wank advertisement, wank brought wank to wank you wank by wank Andrew wank Quah, wank Your wank Candidate wank for wank Union.

INNOVATIVE wank THINKING
A wank UNION wank REWARDS wank SCHEME

Imagine wank if wank using wank your wank USU wank could wank mean wank rewards.

You wank could wank enjoy wank the wank Union wank Special wank in wank Wentworth, wank and wank get wank reward wank points wank on wank your wank Access wank Card.

You wank could wank get wank bonus wank points wank for wank supporting wank a wank Club wank on wank campus, wank coming wank to wank a wank concert, wank shopping wank at wank Wentworth wank or wank Manning…

You wank could wank trade wank those wank points wank in wank for wank products wank at wank Union wank outlets wank across wank the wank uni…

Maybe wank you wank could wank trade wank those wank points wank in wank for, wank say, wank Myer™ wank Gift wank Certificates…

Innovative wank thinking!

ANDREWwank QUAH
YOUR wank CANDIDATE wank FOR wank UNION

This wank advertisement wank is wank authorised wank by wank the wank Candidate, wank SN200310929.
More wank information, wank www.andrewquah.com
Edited for truth.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A

^ You're like the fifth person to ask him that, so therefore the answer is NO. :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

ujuphleg said:
Weren't you being non-insulting?
That wasn't insulting him, that was attacking his policy statement, because I believe it's a wank.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

Calling my policy statement a bunch of "wank" doesn't say anything. Being Communications Director of the SULC, you of all people should appreciate that. If you don't like the policy, offer suggestions as to how it can be improved, offer criticism as to why it's not feasible.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Phanatical said:
Calling my policy statement a bunch of "wank" doesn't say anything. Being Communications Director of the SULC, you of all people should appreciate that. If you don't like the policy, offer suggestions as to how it can be improved, offer criticism as to why it's not feasible.
It wouldn't provide any real benefits to students, because they'd be paying for the rewards certificates out of their own pockets, and it's better that they instead get their fees cut.

gerhard

HSC

Phanatical said:
A campaign advertisement, brought to you by Andrew Quah, Your Candidate for Union.

INNOVATIVE THINKING
A UNION REWARDS SCHEME

Imagine if using your USU could mean rewards.

You could enjoy the Union Special in Wentworth, and get reward points on your Access Card.

You could get bonus points for supporting a Club on campus, coming to a concert, shopping at Wentworth or Manning…

You could trade those points in for products at Union outlets across the uni…

Maybe you could trade those points in for, say, Myer™ Gift Certificates…

Innovative thinking!

ANDREWQUAH
YOUR CANDIDATE FOR UNION

This advertisement is authorised by the Candidate, SN200310929.
More information, www.andrewquah.com
a right wing person would say this was inefficient
a left wing person would say why is a student organisation using big business tactics to encourage debt-ridden uni students to spend more

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

withoutaface said:
It wouldn't provide any real benefits to students, because they'd be paying for the rewards certificates out of their own pockets, and it's better that they instead get their fees cut.
Not really. It would have the people who join and use the service less subsidising those who use the service the most and hence get the best value for their money even more for goods that aren't even at uni.

Edit: Not really referring to it isn't students paying for themselves. Only the middle of that group will be paying for it however, given the huge range of use towards the top end (those who always do 50 000 things at the union eat every meal etc) it will be giving them huge bonuses to make the bonuses available for the average student.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

I like the idea of making rewards points available to Clubs and Societies so that people who are extremely active in contributing to student community through the C&Ses would receive tangible rewards.

I'd also like to point out that the Union does make a profit on even "subsidised" food. People are more likely to purchase food from the Union, and even to Join the Union, if they knew that every time they purchased food from the outlet right next to class they were accumilating points towards rewards. In other words, making Student Union membership more attractive. Surely this can only be a positive step.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A

How about you just cut the profit? Instead of letting those who only buy food occassionaly and bring healthy nutiritous lunches to uni also save.

Not all clubs and socities are actively contributing to the student community, however, I believe there already is a way to do that, its through C&S funding. There is a limit per event, the more events a club has the more its members save, the more events someone turns up to the more they save. Well unless they join a society that charges for absolutly everything.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

There is plenty of room for cost cutting with the food, and I assure you that if I am elected, I'll be working VERY closely with the catering staff to ensure that the food is not only cheaper, but higher quality.

The rewards system is intended not to actually give people rewards for buying lots of stuff from the Union (which is so not fair, since most of us are actually pretty poor). When I talk about rewards points on food, I'm saying that a person might get 5 points for purchasing the Union Special, but it would cost (hypothetically) 30 points to redeem a coffee, 50 points for a 600mL bottle etc. The rewards scheme would come into its own through bonus points awarded to students who attend a Union concert, to students who enter Union competitions, to students who contribute to a Club or Society. A student could gain 50 bonus points on their Access Card by participating in a Union trivia night, and gain bonus points for just being part of the university community. More importantly, the Access card could be used at places Other than the University. The Sydney Eclectic Composers Society (of which I am Vice-President, and therefore have an interest) is currently negotiating a student discount at the Paragon Hotel in Circular Quay, as there is a community of Union members who (lacking our own bar) patronise the Paragon, and a number of other facilities in the area. If the Union threw its weight behind such initiatives, students would be able to take advantage of their Union membership without actually having to come to main campus.

The idea of having Access points is actually a development of an idea I presented two years ago, of a cashless campus where our student cards would replace physical money. There would be a greatly reduced risk of theft (since we wouldn't need to carry as much money with us on campus), and if lost can easily be returned. If implemented in conjunction with a far more secure student card (ie, one that isn't easily damaged or forged), the student community would see tangible benefits.

Last edited:

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Question about Union elections.

Roz/Rose, are they the same? I dunno.. all the chalks around USyd confuses and irritatedes the me...

Incidently, I haven't seen a single chalk-based name of Quah yet and no posters of him either... any thoughts?

cimbom

HSC
Re: Question about Union elections.

Haha but what they did was add E to ROZ... so you'll see in some places ROZ(E)... implying that they want you to vote for Rose, not Roz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)