United Kingdom Election 2010 (2 Viewers)

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
So did those Cleggmaniacs jump ship to Labour at last minute or something?
m8 they got 22% of the vote. that's huge

It's just the quirks of the electoral system that brings them down, nonetheless, they did do worse than exit polls.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Per the UK constitution, Brown can try to form coalitions indefinitely. Only the Queen can remove him unless he steps down. The Queen hasn't done that since like the 1850's.

ChrisJericho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Gordon Brown is nothing but a sycophant, and a hypocrite, and a liar. Unlike me. I am the best at what I do.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Does anybody find it a bit ironic that the Liberal Democrats got smashed in the election yet they're the ones who are deciding on the coalition government? lol
It's actually not ironic at all you penk.

Lentern

HSC
Per the UK constitution, Brown can try to form coalitions indefinitely. Only the Queen can remove him unless he steps down. The Queen hasn't done that since like the 1850's.
Wow I knew she was old but...

Bahahahaha boom boom.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Only until his government is defeated on a motion of confidence in the House of Commons. This includes a defeat of the address in reply to the Queen's speech which happens soon after the state opening of parliament. This is the deadline to demonstrate he has the confidence of the House. It certainly isn't indefinite. If he still refused to resign, the Queen would be entitled, indeed it would be her duty to remove him from office.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
BBC News - Gordon Brown 'stepping down as Labour leader'

• Gordon Brown has announced that he is going to resign. He said that he did not want to go immediately, but he said that he wanted Labour to have a new leader by the time of the party's autumn conference (ie by September). He accepted that he had to take responsibility for the party's poor election result. His resignation will make it easier for Labour to form a government with the Lib Dems. But he has now made it clear that he is going whether or not Labour remains in office.

• Nick Clegg has formally opened negotiations with Labour. This afternoon it became clear that Lib Dem MPs had reservations about the proposed deal with the Tories. Now Gordon Brown has slapped a counter-offer on the table. The Lib Dems could join Labour (and, Brown implied, the Scottish and Welsh nationalists and others) to form a "progressive" alliance. They would just about have a majority.

• Labour are planning to offer the Lib Dems a bill on bringing in the AV electoral system and a referendum on a fuller system of proportional representation. The Tories, by contrast, are offering a referendum on AV and fixed-term parliaments.

• The Labour leadership contest is now officially open. David Miliband is the clear favourite. Ed Balls will certainly be a candidate, and Ed Miliband has not denied reports that he may stand against his brother. Andy Burnham is also seen as someone with an outside chance of winning. There has been speculation about Alistair Darling, Alan Johnson and Harriet Harman replacing Brown, but all three have in the past signalled that they don't want the job.

Last edited:

Garygaz

HSC
BBC News - Gordon Brown 'stepping down as Labour leader'

• Gordon Brown has announced that he is going to resign. He said that he did not want to go immediately, but he said that he wanted Labour to have a new leader by the time of the party's autumn conference (ie by September). He accepted that he had to take responsibility for the party's poor election result. His resignation will make it easier for Labour to form a government with the Lib Dems. But he has now made it clear that he is going whether or not Labour remains in office.

• Nick Clegg has formally opened negotiations with Labour. This afternoon it became clear that Lib Dem MPs had reservations about the proposed deal with the Tories. Now Gordon Brown has slapped a counter-offer on the table. The Lib Dems could join Labour (and, Brown implied, the Scottish and Welsh nationalists and others) to form a "progressive" alliance. They would just about have a majority.

• Labour are planning to offer the Lib Dems a bill on bringing in the AV electoral system and a referendum on a fuller system of proportional representation. The Tories, by contrast, are offering a referendum on AV and fixed-term parliaments.

• The Labour leadership contest is now officially open. David Miliband is the clear favourite. Ed Balls will certainly be a candidate, and Ed Miliband has not denied reports that he may stand against his brother. Andy Burnham is also seen as someone with an outside chance of winning. There has been speculation about Alistair Darling, Alan Johnson and Harriet Harman replacing Brown, but all three have in the past signalled that they don't want the job.
I think it could hurt Nick Clegg's and the Lib Dems credibility if they make an alliance with Labour. I think Labour are seen by the public as responsible for the economic/immigration/iraq/afghanistan fiascoes. I don't think they can really promote themselves as a reforming movement if they go into government with Labour.

badquinton304

HSC
I think it could hurt Nick Clegg's and the Lib Dems credibility if they make an alliance with Labour. I think Labour are seen by the public as responsible for the economic/immigration/iraq/afghanistan fiascoes. I don't think they can really promote themselves as a reforming movement if they go into government with Labour.
Yes but most of the libdems are more comfortable with labor I mean if you were to put them on a axis I think labor and libdems are closer than libdems and conservatives, while it doesn't really consider pragmatic policy choices, it does give an indication on who the libdems would naturally sit with.

0bs3n3

HSC
Yes but most of the libdems are more comfortable with labor I mean if you were to put them on a axis I think labor and libdems are closer than libdems and conservatives, while it doesn't really consider pragmatic policy choices, it does give an indication on who the libdems would naturally sit with.
So what, it will just reinforce the Conservative line that a vote for Lib Dems is a vote for Labour.

occer

HSC
N/A
Doesn't matter, if it ends up with AV or PR leading to more LibDem votes then they should be all for it.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
So what, it will just reinforce the Conservative line that a vote for Lib Dems is a vote for Labour.
Not, because Labour will have to negotiate their bills with the Lib Dems.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
The only parties I would like to see running the United Kingdom as they all currently stand are the BNP and to a lesser extent UKIP, but I don't think either did very well this time around (though the BNP did increase their share of the votes, but only modestly.) The Tories are mostly all talk. Regardless of what either party says, there'll be more deindustrialization, more third world immigration, more Negro pandemonium, more absurd legislation and more miscellaneous social problems of every possible kind that are only furthering to transform the United Kingdom into a bizarre travesty of what it once was; a nightmarish, blade-runneresque society where ugly architecture and fat, ugly people are watched day in and day out by thousands of creepy surveillance cameras that can be found on every high-street, office-park and business district around the country.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
No, cosmo kramer, V for Vendetta was a horrible movie.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
The only parties I would like to see running the United Kingdom as they all currently stand are the BNP and to a lesser extent UKIP, but I don't think either did very well this time around (though the BNP did increase their share of the votes, but only modestly.) The Tories are mostly all talk. Regardless of what either party says, there'll be more deindustrialization, more third world immigration, more Negro pandemonium, more absurd legislation and more miscellaneous social problems of every possible kind that are only furthering to transform the United Kingdom into a bizarre travesty of what it once was; a nightmarish, blade-runneresque society where ugly architecture and fat, ugly people are watched day in and day out by thousands of creepy surveillance cameras that can be found on every high-street, office-park and business district around the country.
lol, you racist fuckwit

0bs3n3

HSC
UKIP is civic nationalist but I guess the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
Somebody who doesn't swallow hook line and sinker egalitarian, liberal pablum! Cannot compute! Cannot compute! Immediately categorize as trolling!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)