United Kingdom Election 2010 (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Cameron is PM and Clegg is Deputy PM.

It seems like a good mix. Surely civil liberties will prevail in this scenario while the best parts of the UK's social justice systems remain intact?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
And hopefully some electoral reform might come out of this.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
HE'S TOUCHING THE QUEEN

TOUCHING

THE

FUCKING

QUEEN

NO TOUCHING [comment]Fuck the Guardian[/comment]
The UK's unwritten constitution states that Automaton 1E model IV (also known as "The Queen") is activated once every four years by the touch of the winner of the most seats in the House of Commons. Any other touch is likely to cause a constitutional crisis and cause this statement to explode into a million pieces above the Thames.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Then why didn't the vote against the Digital Economy bill which was chock full of censorship and civil rights stripping?

Only the Lib Dems voted against it as a collective block, the Conservatives abstained.
Punitive measures for those who breach intellectual property rights aren't a civil liberties issue dude, no matter how much you or I might disagree with them.

EDIT: Just so it's clear, I'm somebody who views stealing IP as ethically little different from stealing a physical good from a retailer and leaving whatever wholesale price he paid for it on the shop counter. The current social acceptance of doing so stems from the more abstract nature of the work, and its infinite reproducibility, but there can be little argument that a similar amount of labour goes into, for example, an operating system as a large scale civil engineering project.

Whether it's the state's role to correct this trend through legislation or that of distribution companies to do so through value adds and changing customer attitudes is what I'm not sure of, but when we can lock somebody up for stealing a physical good, cutting off their internet connection for stealing IP doesn't seem as morally hazardous.

I also realise that this makes me a hypocrite.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Punitive measures for those who breach intellectual property rights aren't a civil liberties issue dude, no matter how much you or I might disagree with them.

EDIT: Just so it's clear, I'm somebody who views stealing IP as ethically little different from stealing a physical good from a retailer and leaving whatever wholesale price he paid for it on the shop counter. The current social acceptance of doing so stems from the more abstract nature of the work, and its infinite reproducibility, but there can be little argument that a similar amount of labour goes into, for example, an operating system as a large scale civil engineering project.

Whether it's the state's role to correct this trend through legislation or that of distribution companies to do so through value adds and changing customer attitudes is what I'm not sure of, but when we can lock somebody up for stealing a physical good, cutting off their internet connection for stealing IP doesn't seem as morally hazardous.

I also realise that this makes me a hypocrite.
waf, the Digital Economy bill was far more than that. It effectively allows the government to block any website it wants (Labour famously refused to rule out a ban on Wikileaks) and also allows the government to remove internet access for anybody SUSPECTED of copyright infringement or various other things.

The whole thing was a significant breach of civil liberties, not least of all in the way it was put together.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
And yeah, copyright violation for personal use shouldn't involve the state you fucker. Spain has it right. ;)

Lentern

HSC
Cameron is PM and Clegg is Deputy PM.

It seems like a good mix. Surely civil liberties will prevail in this scenario while the best parts of the UK's social justice systems remain intact?
What? no. If anything was not going to help that little nitwit get over this delusion that he's one of the big boys this is it.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
What? no. If anything was not going to help that little nitwit get over this delusion that he's one of the big boys this is it.
Awww poor diddums all sad that the Wabour party didn't get back into power? :(

Lentern

HSC
Awww poor diddums all sad that the Wabour party didn't get back into power? :(
On the contrary as much as I am a fan of Tony Blair I was hoping for a Tori majority. It's only so often a forward thinking intellectual from the conservative side of politics gets a shot at the top job and now he's going to have Steve Fielding senior snapping at his heals the whole time.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
On the contrary as much as I am a fan of Tony Blair I was hoping for a Tori majority. It's only so often a forward thinking intellectual from the conservative side of politics gets a shot at the top job and now he's going to have Steve Fielding senior snapping at his heals the whole time.
What kind of person see any similarity between a moderate libertarian like Clegg and a social conservative religious nutjob like Fielding? Honestly I'm completely bemused right now Lentern.

badquinton304

HSC
What kind of person see any similarity between a moderate libertarian like Clegg and a social conservative religious nutjob like Fielding? Honestly I'm completely bemused right now Lentern.
My guess is that he is comparing them interms of what he percieves as an inflated sense of political importance. Definitely true for Fielding. Fuck I hate fielding you can tell he is a fucking idiot the moment he opens his mouth, fuck family values, this fuckwit should have never been elected, thanks SA.

Lentern

HSC
My guess is that he is comparing them interms of what he percieves as an inflated sense of political importance. Definitely true for Fielding. Fuck I hate fielding you can tell he is a fucking idiot the moment he opens his mouth, fuck family values, this fuckwit should have never been elected, thanks SA.
Fielding is from Victoria but otherwise you are correct.

occer

HSC
N/A
My thoughts indeed.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Because it's not property. It's also reproduction, not stealing.
Refer back to my previous example. If I steal something from a shopkeeper and leave his cost of acquisition on the counter, is that right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)