University courses. (1 Viewer)

kloudsurfer

HSC
soulsearcher said:
It does not matter which school you go to, you can get the UAI that you need from it. All you have to do is put in a lot of effort to learn what is required of you in the HSC syllabus, and perform well in your internal assessments, to get a high rank, and do well in the external exam. Find the syllabus of each subject that you are doing, and use the textbooks that you can get for each subject with help from your teachers to learn what is required of you for the HSC. If you need help on something you don't understand, then ask for it from any places where help can come from. Those are just a few pointers to guide you on your way. Good luck with the HSC
No offense, but considering what school you go to, thats easy for you to say. The highest UAI anyone has ever gotten at our school was around 97.5. And she was about 5 points above the person who came second. Thats not because our school is full of lazy, dumb people, its because it isnt that good.
By not great school I mean not great teachers. The other day I had to correct my biology teacher on what dependent and independent variables are. She had absolutely no clue. Thats the kind of stuff that a year 8 student should know. So not really much help in the teacher department lol. And no matter how hard you work you are still placed at a disadvantage to those who have good teachers.

Im not saying that it isnt acheivable, and im not using it as an excuse or anything, but realistically it will be more difficult for someone in my position. Isnt there a reason the top UAI's always come from good schools?

Last edited:

karnoganguli

HSC
Wooz said:
Med @ UNSW from everyone i've talked too, your interview is worth more at UNSW, two people i know one had 98.55 failed UMAT but aced interview, so did another chick she got 97, failed UMAT but aced interview. Try to do some extra curricular activities now if you want to get into med, you'll get more marks, plus atleast 2 weeks of work expereince in med, then the interviewers will take u seriously.
Thanks for the advice... crap, I have to find a co-curricular... life ain't easy.

kloudsurfer

HSC
karnoganguli said:
Thanks for the advice... crap, I have to find a co-curricular... life ain't easy.
What he said.

What can you do for medical work experience? I did nursing in year 10, because it my careers advisor suggested it when I told him I was intersted in medicine. I just assumed it meant that you cant do anything with actual doctors. Is there anything else you can do?

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
1. b. adv science at Unsw uai 88
2. pharmacy Usyd uai 95.95 plus STAT score of at least 149/200

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Whoaa...2006'ers are all heading to USyd?

We need some UNSW crowds as well! Come on^^ Our faculty of Med has more students than other Universities in Aust except Melbourne.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
not everyone worships med

and i think they would like to go to usyd because of the prestige but in the end reality kicks in and they have to settle for unsw :p

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
No offense, but considering what school you go to, thats easy for you to say. The highest UAI anyone has ever gotten at our school was around 97.5. And she was about 5 points above the person who came second. Thats not because our school is full of lazy, dumb people, its because it isnt that good.
By not great school I mean not great teachers. The other day I had to correct my biology teacher on what dependent and independent variables are. She had absolutely no clue. Thats the kind of stuff that a year 8 student should know. So not really much help in the teacher department lol. And no matter how hard you work you are still placed at a disadvantage to those who have good teachers.

Im not saying that it isnt acheivable, and im not using it as an excuse or anything, but realistically it will be more difficult for someone in my position. Isnt there a reason the top UAI's always come from good schools?
errrm you don't necessarily have to go to a good school for a good uai...the majority of those who get top uai probably do come from 'smart' and selective schools, but there are always those who get top uais from unknown schools. I think it's about the person's determination to do well, of course with the help from their teachers etc

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
subjectiv said:
What if you didn't do science in high school? But aced all your other exams.
For med, the only science subject that you need is chemistry. I guess you have to do a bridging course for chem if you want to do med :S ...that means 2 years worth of chemistry crammed into a month or so....

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
subjective said:
What if you didn't do science in high school? But aced all your other exams.
At the university of NSW, there are no pre-requisites for medicine, only assumed knowledge of standard english and chemistry, so as long as you can get through the other criteria they set, you should be fine.

http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/Selection_local

Last edited:

live.fast

HSC
N/A
do people seriously look at a person's character more than marks?

live.fast

HSC
N/A
oh n btw...

B.Construction EAAAATS all dem law n med courses, no qs bout it!

kloudsurfer

HSC
yoakim said:
errrm you don't necessarily have to go to a good school for a good uai...the majority of those who get top uai probably do come from 'smart' and selective schools, but there are always those who get top uais from unknown schools. I think it's about the person's determination to do well, of course with the help from their teachers etc
I definetly agree, just saying that it is a lot easier to get a good UAI if you go to a good school.

Besdies, its not like Im gonna just give up because of that. I still intend to work my ass off and get a good UAI.

Which means I probably should be doing all my assesments and homework instead of posting on random threads.

But this is more fun.

bobness said:
and i think they would like to go to usyd because of the prestige but in the end reality kicks in and they have to settle for unsw
Im in that boat. I wanted to go to usyd. Not just because of its prestige, but any school that has GARGOYLES!!!!!!!! out the front of their medical faculty has to be cool. GARGOYLES!!!!!
Is this true Ive only ever heard it from other people.

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
Med is a dream for me. So are the two courses in my sig.

Also: I wouldn't go to USyd.
you my friend must be asian.

and you probably only want to do law because you believe its prestigious OR all your asian friends believe its prestigious so you jump on the bandwagon OR because you're asian you believe its possible to score the high cut-off mark so you believe its a waste if you do any other course which has a lower cut-off mark OR your parents believe its great for career prospects (i mean wtf would they know? they came from a boat!) OR you're only after money OR you have an extremely low self-esteem so you need to do a 'recognised' course to make up for it OR you like to blow goats.

i'd like to think its the latter :eek:

live.fast

HSC
N/A
everybody, go foR the B.construction!!!!!! low UAi needed, no need for great character. easy job, easy hours, ginormous brain not required, aaaaand

you get free donuts every once in awhile!

VS. B.law/med = high UAi (if u dont get it, u breaaak down), need for extremely great character, extreeeemmeeely hard job, long hours (to the point where, if you get yoruself a wife, she'll leave ya in about 3 months), and an extremely BIG-NORMOUS brain is definitely a neccesity...

and most importantly....no donuts... =(

construction eats law/med.

Raginsheep

HSC
live.fast said:
everybody, go foR the B.construction!!!!!! low UAi needed, no need for great character. easy job, easy hours, ginormous brain not required, aaaaand

you get free donuts every once in awhile!

VS. B.law/med = high UAi (if u dont get it, u breaaak down), need for extremely great character, extreeeemmeeely hard job, long hours (to the point where, if you get yoruself a wife, she'll leave ya in about 3 months), and an extremely BIG-NORMOUS brain is definitely a neccesity...

and most importantly....no donuts... =(

construction eats law/med.
Enjoy the 3hr lectures on the different types of concrete :p

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Pieces of Me said:
Bachelor of Medicine / Bachelor of Surgery / Bachelor of Laws at Monash. Not to sure on the UAI, I think they mainly go off the UMAT and interview anyway but I'm guessing >95

http://www.monash.edu.au/study/coursefinder/course/1074/
Monash prefers intrastate(Victorian) students and is considered to be one of the most prestigious med unis with a very good training hospital, you would prob have to get a uai of 98+ with a solid interview, UMAT has been changed logic has been removed it is now also used to profile candidates psycological and mental background and characteristics. You prob wont even get an interview because your from NSW unless you have an outstanding UAI and a good UMAT result and a profile that fits what their looking for.

At the moment i trying me best to get into med at Usyd TSP(Talented Students Program) they only take in 10 people and the UAI is 99.95 and their are heaps of prerequisites.

But prob wont happen, I'll go to UNSW interview counts highly though.

Preferences for Med:
1. Usyd (Post Grad entry only) i'll only go if i get a TSP offer.
2. UNSW
3. UWS starts in 2007, cheaper then other uni's, plus they give prioty entry to western sydney students
4. UNCLE 95+
5. QU Queensland uni, pretty good biotech and science facilities prob the best.
6. Melb Uni
7. Monash extremly hard to get into

Last edited:

nandayo

ismist
HSC
bobness said:
you my friend must be asian.

and you probably only want to do law because you believe its prestigious OR all your asian friends believe its prestigious so you jump on the bandwagon OR because you're asian you believe its possible to score the high cut-off mark so you believe its a waste if you do any other course which has a lower cut-off mark OR your parents believe its great for career prospects (i mean wtf would they know? they came from a boat!) OR you're only after money OR you have an extremely low self-esteem so you need to do a 'recognised' course to make up for it OR you like to blow goats.

i'd like to think its the latter :eek:
harsh...really harsh.

I don't think LottoX is one of those people, but I have to say, I was reading this article about Med entry in SMH and it was pretty damn interesting. This girl got a 94 UAI I think, so about 5 points off, but the interview panel really liked her communication and overall personality, and sent her through to MBBS @ Syd I think. They were talking about these (namely asians) that didn't want to do Med to help people. There was this one asian kid with some brilliant UAI who broke down in the interview room and was crying to the panel that he didn't want to work in medicine. Guess who was waiting eagerly outside? His pushy mum.

But hey, LottoX could be a) not asian b) really interested in people, and in med c) all of the above. So no need to be so harsh eh? Unless you actually know him. In which case you can say anything you want. I guess.

kathrynso

HSC
I'm Asian, and my mum is really scarey when she wants to see me get high marks.
I don't beleive that it is a waste to do a course in something at a lower cut-off mark. I think people who reach those high cut-off marks are great. It's not nice to stereotype people like that. I can only dream of getting into medicine so i could help others, it's not about the money or the recognisation.
Lol, I wanted to become a machanic once :p I'd probably break the cars instead. But performing is something else I wanted to do if it wasn't for science. Ahhh

Oh and Sydney Uni does have gargoyles. They look soooooo cool. A group of us went there as an excursion to visit the Uni. The Egyptian museum was amazing and so was the science one too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)