University Preferences (Medicine Goal) HELP Desperate!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
On a side note
Is it easier to transfer within a uni? As in from one usyd course to another as opposed to from UNSW to usyd?
Not talking about medicine. If for example I don't like medical science and change my mind?

Dylanamali

HSC
On a side note
Is it easier to transfer within a uni? As in from one usyd course to another as opposed to from UNSW to usyd?
Not talking about medicine. If for example I don't like medical science and change my mind?
Generally, the answer is yes.
This is mainly because you can easily get credited for the units you have already completed if the two courses have overlaps.
However, across institutions this may be a lot harder.

Dylanamali

HSC
Do you know anyone with HDs in the course you are doing at UWS? because your GPA is incredible!
ohh, i thought right.. so the chances of getting in are still pretty slim :/
good luck man.
If you do UMAT next year, can you still apply to transfer? or will it be too late for you? (i thought only 1st years could apply for undergrad med)
Also, if you did some a course in USYD and sat the UMAT and did very well (around 90+ ish), could you transfer into UWS medicine?
Yeah, UWS is great because it is quite easy to obtain a high GPA. I don't know anyone personally whose on a 7.0 GPA, but I would assume there would be a few. I do, however, know quite a few who are on a 6.875 like me.

With Medicine, chances are always slim. But it's about maximising your chances - and that's what the Adv Sci course at UWS offers. A maximised chance at medicine by a potentially reduced UMAT cut-off.

Yes, you can apply for undergraduate programs for as long as you like. E.g you could complete 3 degrees and be 45 years old and still apply for an undergraduate medical school (provided you meet the academic criteria).
So yeah, if I do the UMAT next year and achieve a reasonable score I will apply to every single undergraduate medical school in the country.

And Yes, to your final question. If you did a course in USYD the required GPA to meet the UWS threshold is 6.1. So provided you surpass that and surpass the UMAT threshold for the year (this year it was 151.5 for GWS and 160+ for non-GWS weighted - but it always increased year to year nowadays), then you should get an interview. The Adv Sci course at UWS just makes it easier.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally I think B Physio at USyd is your best bet. Why?

1. It gives you a REAL option and a real DECENT paying career when you graduate (unlike MedSci)
2. Medical Science doesn't really help with GAMSAT preparation, (don't quote me on this, but I believe it tests 1st year science in bio and chem and HSC science in physics?). A MedSci degree will put you in the same boat as everyone else...the best degree for GAMSAT prep is a BSci but this wouldn't be on your list of options, I'd imagine)
3. You have an extra year doing a B Physio to study for the GAMSAT - start prep early, do past papers, learn the science content, do these things during the uni holidays. If you're determined enough you will find the enthusiasm to do it
4. If you study B Physio fees shouldn't be an issue, it costs $200 less than B Med Sci: http://sydney.edu.au/courses/Bachelor-of-Applied-Science-Physiotherapy v. http://sydney.edu.au/courses/Bachelor-of-Medical-Science. Also, job opportunities are B Physio are MUCH better and higher pay is almost certain

That's just my 2 cents. All the best with making up your mind.

matsing

HSC
Hi, I didn’t sit the UMAT this year but my goal is to get into Medicine. My ATAR was 96.50. I REALLY need advice on whether it would be better to do UNSW Medical Science, USYD Medical Science or USYD Physiotherapy (Flex-Entry), keeping in mind that the goal is Medicine as quickly as possible to minimise fees.
The plan was to apply for an undergrad transfer into Med either at UNSW or UWS after sitting for the UMAT in 2013, would it be easier to actually attend UNSW if looking for a transfer?, or is USYD just as good? I realise that UNSW has the extra ‘top students’ pathway.
Which of the course structures, UNSW or USYD Medical Science (both 3yrs) would best prepare me for GAMSAT if I didn’t get a transfer etc.?
Or would doing something like B Physiotherapy (4yrs) be better so I have a back-up if I don’t get into Medicine (I don’t know how hard GAMSAT is..)?
I need to have my preferences finalised tomorrow so any advice would really be appreciated, I’m stuck!
Look mate, i don't want to crush your dreams, but you are being quite nieve and it seems like you haven't some enough and appropriate research. There are people who get 99+ (even 99.95) who do UMAT and still dont get into medicine. For UNSW medicine, for them to even look at your application you need a 96 (it is very rare for someone to get into medicine with a 96, the UNSW median like 99+). When you say you want go do medicine as 'fast and cheap' it seems both nieve and that you may not be wanting to do medicine for the right reasons. I think you best bet would be to try for graduate medicine and for the current moment do bachelor of advanced science at sydney uni. this not only prepares you for gamsat and medicine, but also if the medicine thing doesn't work out, its a great backup to work with. I know this is not what you want to hear, but i garuntee it this is the best advice. also from now on i would recommend you start doing (plenty) research and planning three years in advance, thats what people who get into medicine actually do. this is not to put you down, but to keep it real :).

Last edited:

Dylanamali

HSC
Look mate, i don't want to crush your dreams, but you are being quite nieve and it seems like you haven't some enough and appropriate research. There are people who get 99+ (even 99.95) who do UMAT and still dont get into medicine. For UNSW medicine, for them to even look at your application you need a 96 (it is very rare for someone to get into medicine with a 96, the UNSW median like 99+). When you say you want go do medicine as 'fast and cheap' it seems both nieve and that you may not be wanting to do medicine for the right reasons. I think you best bet would be to try for graduate medicine and for the current moment do bachelor of advanced science at sydney uni. this not only prepares you for gamsat and medicine, but also if the medicine thing doesn't work out, its a great backup to work with. I know this is not what you want to hear, but i garuntee it this is the best advice. also from now on i would recommend you start doing (plenty) research and planning three years in advance, thats what people who get into medicine actually do. this is not to put you down, but to keep it real :).
Her best bet isn't just to try for graduate medicine..
Her best bet is to try as many times as possible, which means as many UMATS and GAMSAT's as possible during her undergraduate degree.

Furthermore, what are the benefits of a B Sc (Adv) at USYD? They have no scheme in regards to a medical transfer.
And using a B Sc (Adv) as a backup is not particularly reliable. Having such a degree would only lead to laboratory or research jobs, and generally would require further study e.g. Hons or PhD.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Her best bet is to try as many times as possible, which means as many UMATS and GAMSAT's as possible during her undergraduate degree.

Furthermore, what are the benefits of a B Sc (Adv) at USYD? They have no scheme in regards to a medical transfer.
And using a B Sc (Adv) as a backup is not particularly reliable. Having such a degree would only lead to laboratory or research jobs, and generally would require further study e.g. Hons or PhD.
My mate (from family friend) did umat in Year 12 and got 95th percentile, flunks the interview. Goes into USYD B Sc (Adv) and finishes, gets 98th percentile in GAMSAT, flunked the interview again, he told me he was being a smart ass (lol). Now is going onto Hons and PhD

Dylanamali

HSC
My mate (from family friend) did umat in Year 12 and got 95th percentile, flunks the interview. Goes into USYD B Sc (Adv) and finishes, gets 98th percentile in GAMSAT, flunked the interview again, he told me he was being a smart ass (lol). Now is going onto Hons and PhD
Wow - must just have bad social skills lol.. with scores like those you in a prime place to get a position.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
GAMSAT lasts for two years. Try again for after hons. Duh.

OH1995

HSC
Lol, I don't think she's the one being "naive"....trollface.jpg

matsing

HSC

I dont understand why take umat? a transfer is really unlikely with an atar of 96.5 (even with gpa considerations). there is only one option at this point and a good one at that (graduate med). also how is adv science @ sydney not a good back up, forgive me, but i research/ PhD is the best backup there is for a person considering medicine.

matsing

HSC
Lol, I don't think she's the one being "naive"....trollface.jpg
keep saying that... i'll be laughing when you scramble to try to get into med with ~96 atar or less. come on, have you people never seen the statistics???

Dylanamali

HSC
I dont understand why take umat? a transfer is really unlikely with an atar of 96.5 (even with gpa considerations). there is only one option at this point and a good one at that (graduate med). also how is adv science @ sydney not a good back up, forgive me, but i research/ PhD is the best backup there is for a person considering medicine.
keep saying that... i'll be laughing when you scramble to try to get into med with ~96 atar or less. come on, have you people never seen the statistics???
You are quite clearly misinformed and do not have a thorough understanding of the requirements to gaining entry into Medicine.
Whilst, it is true that OP's chances at gaining entry into UNSW are extremely slim because of her relatively low ATAR, she still easily has a competitive chance at both UWS and UNCLE (Newcastle). Both UWS and UNCLE only use the ATAR as a threshold and she has surpassed both of their requirements.
Similarly, if she manages a high GPA e.g. 6.5+ she would definitely have a competitive chance at other undergraduate medical schools, e.g. UTAS, JCU, UAdel etc, provided she does well in the UMAT.

So you are definitely wrong in saying that there is only one option at this point.. There are multiple options. She should definitely sit the UMAT in 2013 and see how she goes in it. Graduate medicine should only be considered once she's attempted the UMAT and seen how well she performed. An undergraduate medical position is definitely a realistic option.

The Adv Sci course at USYD is not a good back up because unlike the Adv Sci course at UWS or the Med Sci course at UNSW there is no lateral entry scheme into their medical course. So immediately you are putting yourself at a relative disadvantage and minimising your potential of gaining entry into Medicine.

And how can you say that a research / PhD is the best backup? Generally, students decide to become doctors and pursue medicine for the doctor/patient interaction. A research job rather minimises that interaction, in comparison to say other health-based jobs such as Physiotherapy, Pharmacy, Dentistry etc.
It's a subjective thing and your speaking in definites.

HSC
I have done my 'research' actually, and it was putting me down so you can 'keep it real' somewhere else. (*naive)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)