University Stay (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Would you prefer to stay at home, on campus or in a residence in town?

Although I don't go to university for another entire year and have Year 12 ahead, I'm wondering which is better. Would you go for the room that is more fancy with air-con and then share it with another person having your own personal kitchen and bathroom. Or, would you go the cheaper option and have your own room with a shared bathroom and kitchen?

There are a lot of options, can I gauge your opinions?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm considering the more expensive room which is furnished and pays for everything of course + air con (mmmm)... but to share with another person since all the rooms can accomodate two people. That way it would be cheaper than living alone in a shared dormitory.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Mmmm air-con.

It's a small price to pay for comfort, I think.

philphie

Banned
HSC
i live about 10-15 minutes away from usyd so there's no point for me to move out. if i did have to move out (if i go to unimelb) then i'd do share housing, share housing is always fun. it's only my mother and I so i enjoy having a lot of people living together. living on campus in australia really isn't a big thing here unless you're coming from a rural area or interstate. apart from 'formal' residential colleges you have 'communal' places like syd uni village and STUCCO house which i hear is great of you like the 'hippyish' lifestyle, which pretty much works out for me.

jaimebien

HSC
Personally, I'm not a fan of share accommodation. (Maybe if it were with close friends, but even then...) Throughout high school, my mum rented out rooms to other students, and the house was never quiet and you tend to lose control over keeping the house clean, etc. I prefer privacy and peace of mind.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Personally, I'm not a fan of share accommodation. (Maybe if it were with close friends, but even then...) Throughout high school, my mum rented out rooms to other students, and the house was never quiet and you tend to lose control over keeping the house clean, etc. I prefer privacy and peace of mind.
wow that sounds awesome, only students? imagine the kind of people you would meet, like when Forest Gump met Elvis. we use to do this as well except we rented out to families, the house was built in a way where you could have two families living on separate floors without ever needing to come in contact with each other.

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
since i have plans to not stay in sydney for canberra, then i'll most likely be living in one of the residential houses on campus (Y)
i would have my own room, fully catered because its just better to concentrate that way? lol

jeshxcore

HSC
because i really want to do law, and sydney is like 99.50, unsw is like 99+?
uws is quite far away, but not far enough for me to stay on campus.
uts, err i don't know..
anu's atar seems much more achievable to me, also since its near parliament and has a good rep for politics, then i'd much rather prefer to go to anu. (lol kim beazely is chancellor) and rudd went there.

so mainly because it specializes in poltics, doesnt have like a 99+ atar and the rep it has for politics..
i'm quite aware of other universities as well, but i'm putting anu as my first option.. which will be ages away for me since i'm only starting prelim next year.

philphie

Banned
HSC
yeah the chances that you might have a teacher who work sin government and for graduate internships is good and which i' considering as well but it's in Canberra....Canberra...

jeshxcore

HSC
Yeah i know Canberra is a shithole, but if you really want something, you won't let the boring environment get to you.

jeshxcore

HSC
well, there will be uni functions and parties to go to.. etc
so it can't be that bad.
plus its just 5 years, or 6 if i ever do honours?
"People who are going to be really successful in the future are willing to make sacrifices in the present"

lol:p

philphie

Banned
HSC
if Canberra had a indie music/bohemian scene like Newtown then i might reconsider. parties are parties, i'm not big on parties anyway but i don't want to be in a place so clean cut and generic. I NEED A NEWTOWN!!!

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Well ideally, I would love to live on campus at USYD. I had it all planned. International house was where I was going to stay. Get this, it is literally next door to the Architectural Building! How convenient would that be!? Oh yeh, I wanna do Architecture at USYD hehe.

As of now though, I think I'll be moving into a place in the city. I had all that organised too, but friends can be infamously flaky so it isn't going to happen as quick as I'd like now. Anytime before 2nd semester next year and I'll be happy. I am looking in areas between Newtown and Surry Hills. God, I just want to move out haha!! For the first semester, it looks like I'll be commuting 3+ hours a day :(

philphie

Banned
HSC
Well ideally, I would love to live on campus at USYD. I had it all planned. International house was where I was going to stay. Get this, it is literally next door to the Architectural Building! How convenient would that be!? Oh yeh, I wanna do Architecture at USYD hehe.

As of now though, I think I'll be moving into a place in the city. I had all that organised too, but friends can be infamously flaky so it isn't going to happen as quick as I'd like now. Anytime before 2nd semester next year and I'll be happy. I am looking in areas between Newtown and Surry Hills. God, I just want to move out haha!! For the first semester, it looks like I'll be commuting 3+ hours a day :(
international house is the most expensive of all of them and way overpriced, but in my opinion you probably would meet a better group of people than in the others. where do you live that's 3 hours a day both ways away?

Otacon2009

HSC
I lived on campus despite being a 10-15 drive from home. It was pretty basic. Communal shower, kitchen and laundary. Advantage was that I was only paying $155.75 a week plus roughly $15 in food, so it wasn't that bad financially. It was nice moving out of the parents for a while and only because they don't allow people who aren't doing summer semester am I back at home. Only downside is that CDU has the worst interent accessibility. No Skype, very limited MSN, iPhone apps were working (then not), though the friendliness of everyone was a nice compensation. Plus I was living next to the tradies, which meant an increase of drunkeness at little expense. One moment I won't forget is that they said I had the best projectile vomit. Such a shame I can't spin my head around to top it off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)