UNSW 2014 Rollcall (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: UNSW 2014ers Rollcall

I gravitating towards a double major. At the moment I stuck between accounting, business law and human resources. I already work at an accounting firm and they were going to start giving me basic accounting work.

To be honest, I want to go into a job that requires a degree of business case type writing. I wish I could do all three!
Yeah... those aren't mathsy at all.

Like. At all.

You'll be fine even without being super great at maths.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC

Yeah... those aren't mathsy at all.

Like. At all.

You'll be fine even without being super great at maths.

Thanks, I didn't want to spend $380 on a bridging course. I can safely say that I'm not extremely terrible at math, I work better if the math has a purpose and if I can just plug it into a excel spreadsheet.

But yeah, I don't know which majors to do.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Thanks, I didn't want to spend $380 on a bridging course. I can safely say that I'm not extremely terrible at math, I work better if the math has a purpose and if I can just plug it into a excel spreadsheet.

But yeah, I don't know which majors to do.
All maths has purpose :p

Anyway, if those are the majors you're looking at - I don't think they're that mathsy at all, you shouldn't worry too much about the mathsy content. If you're looking at Finance or something, that's... slightly more involved, of course.

crazy_paki123

HSC
what is the level of maths required for a person doing B Comm (Accounting and Finance)? I got a band 6 in 2 Unit Maths. Also is commerce really competitve at UNSW? Like is it really hard to get a D+ which i am getting at mac currently.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
what is the level of maths required for a person doing B Comm (Accounting and Finance)? I got a band 6 in 2 Unit Maths. Also is commerce really competitve at UNSW? Like is it really hard to get a D+ which i am getting at mac currently.
It's accounting and finance, 2u is probably enough.

Also, you'll find that Commerce is tough to get HDs in because the content is so homogenised and so many people are doing it that one stuff up can cost you severely. DNs you should be getting regularly though if you do the work.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Maybe :)
Are there any particular reasons why you chose BE ME over just BE?
I picked it because I was planning to get a masters in engineering anyway, plus you get the option of a minor and do it in one year less than if you had to do the masters separately. Also, masters degrees tend to cost heaps so doing it in one year instead of two will help.

But then again, I think it is a masters by coursework and I can't get a phd straight after. And I was also thinking about the over qualification possibility where you can't find a job because no-one wants to pay you extra.

Also, the cohort is quite small every year and we get to start off with some stuff that second year electrical students are doing.

Have you considered maybe choosing it first year then dropping later on (just before second year because you have to choose a minor) if you don't want to do it anymore?

Also, there is less flexibility in terms of electives for BE ME. For example, there are no electives in first year for BE ME, and 2 electives for just BE.

Look at the handbook course structure and compare them. E-mail UNSW to ask the difference and to find out which is suitable for you.

BE ME:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3731.html

BE:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3640.html

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
The awkward moment when a co-op doesnt get above credit/distinction in the first assessment and gets kicked out.

mcookieman

HSC
I picked it because I was planning to get a masters in engineering anyway, plus you get the option of a minor and do it in one year less than if you had to do the masters separately.
My main concern is the extra year at uni, 5 years seems a bit much to me as I wasn't planning on getting a masters (I dont plan that far ahead...) but the option of summer courses reducing it to 4.5 years makes it more tempting.

I'll go with it for the first year as aside from the second year course the rest is pretty similar to the recommended program for ordinary EE.
Delaying decisions :) (good thing I didn't make combined law)

Lina3

HSC
Wow, seems like more BoS'ers are heading off to UNSW than to any other university (Including Usyd!).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)