UNSW Business School Co-OP vs Non Co-Op (1 Viewer)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
The scholarship gives vague statements such as "leadership!" and "excellent connections" but I really want to know what the difference is or what Co-Op is like.

si2136

HSC
N/A
The scholarship gives vague statements such as "leadership!" and "excellent connections" but I really want to know what the difference is or what Co-Op is like.
Note that Co-op is highly recommended, besides Honours and Law in Commerce fields relating to Finance.

Lets use Commerce Co-op (Finance) as an example.

http://www.coop.unsw.edu.au/programs/finance-banking-fin

It's usually one year extra to the usual degree, which is in place for Industry Training, where you work with companies you like. It's preferred because you have the EC's and the work experience.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Main sell point are the industry placements. You will gain this experience well ahead of your peers to put yourself in the driving seat.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Yeah, I know it gives an awesome advantage with its work experience and opportunities. How does the course differ to the normal course in terms of structure? Will my studies at university be decreased etc?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Your degree will generally be increased by 1 year. Due to having to do part time uni during placements.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I know it gives an awesome advantage with its work experience and opportunities. How does the course differ to the normal course in terms of structure? Will my studies at university be decreased etc?
It's the same course really. Just a longer time frame due to work.

Check out the link I provided on the other post for more information.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Sigh, still a little unsure whether I should be pursuing co-op or settling with my desired double degree (Law/Comm or Comm/Econ)

si2136

HSC
N/A
Commerce Finance. Definitely have no specific career aim, its just a very vague "in Finance"
Go to networking events and find out what you want.

I would personally prefer Comm/Law though, but if you don't plan to head into Banking and Finance (Prop/HFT/IB), then Commerce (Co-Op) or Commerce/Economics.

Because unless you wish to work with Economics than Commerce, Comm/Eco is kind of pointless.

D94

HSC
N/A
This isn't something you can pick and choose. Not many people get an offer.

You can pursue it, but you will be competing against solid competition, as you should expect. No guarantees you'll get an interview in the first place, let alone be in a position to decide.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
This isn't something you can pick and choose. Not many people get an offer.

You can pursue it, but you will be competing against solid competition, as you should expect. No guarantees you'll get an interview in the first place, let alone be in a position to decide.
Very true, initially (back in Year 11), I decided against even considering Co-Op because I believed my ATAR wouldn't even surpass the 90s :) But this year has been surprising, I should give pursuing it a try. It wouldn't hurt to try.

Flop21

HSC
Wouldn't the money be a MASSIVE incentive?

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Wouldn't the money be a MASSIVE incentive?
Oh! There's money involved o___o I just knew there was a lot of work placement opportunities

Good that I'm asking around for information and advice then, huh XD?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Oh! There's money involved o___o I just knew there was a lot of work placement opportunities

Good that I'm asking around for information and advice then, huh XD?
Co-op is extremely hard to get in though (20 spots IIRC ~ Changes though)

You need a highly competitive ATAR

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Co-op is extremely hard to get in though (20 spots IIRC ~ Changes though)

You need a highly competitive ATAR
100 across 4 faculties ^^ I've learnt that its super hard to get into (I realised that the ATAR itself is bloody competitive in Year 10/11). But I think applying and attempting will be a lot better than never trying :D (I don't really have high expectations that I would even come close to being competition)

Thank you for all the information! Will definitely look more into the Co-Op information website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)