UNSW Co-op (1 Viewer)

kinship

HSC
Wow BIT was my last and i got in, funnily enough finance/marketing/acc wer emy first 3 =(, lol bIT still sounds good xD

daeneee

HSC
N/A
does anybody know how many people get accepted for interviews for finance?
and how many are selected?
i heard around 20 for each one, is this true?

karnage

HSC
daeneee said:
does anybody know how many people get accepted for interviews for finance?
and how many are selected?
i heard around 20 for each one, is this true?
Its linked to how many sponsors there are i think. In last years coop thread, i think one guy gave numbers of each one. Accounting and BIT were the largest with like 20ish or something and finance had like <10

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
hodarrenkm said:
i got interview for actuarial studies =]
same!!!

lyounamu said:
What is BIT? Can anyone care to explain? Thanks
yeh i also got offered an interview for BIT - i wasnt gna put it down but realised its actually a pretty good course, and considering doing it

namu, for more info chek out:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2005/3971.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNSW_Business_Information_Technology

"This program aims to teach students the technical knowledge and theory required for developing information systems (IS) and information technology (IT) in a commercial environment. It assists students to learn why IS and IT systems are implemented and the business implications of these systems. The program covers all the technological requirements of an information system. This includes hardware and related telecommunications needs, as well as giving a solid grounding for the design and development of software to support business operations."

some of the sponsor companies are:

Deloitte
american express
coca-cola
fairfax digital
IBM
MBF
News Ltd
RTA
Sydney Water
Westpac

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Pwnage101 said:
same!!!

yeh i also got offered an interview for BIT - i wasnt gna put it down but realised its actually a pretty good course, and considering doing it

namu, for more info chek out:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2005/3971.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNSW_Business_Information_Technology

"This program aims to teach students the technical knowledge and theory required for developing information systems (IS) and information technology (IT) in a commercial environment. It assists students to learn why IS and IT systems are implemented and the business implications of these systems. The program covers all the technological requirements of an information system. This includes hardware and related telecommunications needs, as well as giving a solid grounding for the design and development of software to support business operations."

some of the sponsor companies are:

Deloitte
american express
coca-cola
fairfax digital
IBM
MBF
News Ltd
RTA
Sydney Water
Westpac
Thank you so much.

nexu

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm currently in co-op in 1st BIT. It's quite a good course with excellent sponsors. In first year we learnt
- Accounting
- Computing
- Maths
- Information systems (Building database and intro to projects and stuff)

Coming out of BIT there are many areas you can go into. BIT is broad so you could become a business analyst, project manager, IT consultant etc...

Also similar to BIT (nearly the same) is Information System and Management (ISM). This course leans more towards commerce but the real difference is first year subjects taken. Instead of Computing and Maths they do Micro/Macro economics and Quantitative Methods A/B (commerce maths like statistics and stuff). This course is less technical but they miss out on computing which is really fun.

Plus side to ISM is a possible double major into another commerce major giving up the honours option which BIT do (ISM can choose between honours or double major).

BIT and ISM are co-ordinate by Christine Van Toorn who is really great, helpful and friendly and will probably be interviewing some of yous. So really together we have approximately 30 places which is far more than the second most popular co-op degree (Accounting with 15).

The other programs like Finance and accounting are extremely competitive due to the large number of commerce students and less places and so you must retain marks. Acturial have about 13-15 places but aren't always filled due to the toughness of the course.

Throughout co-op you must retain a credit average ie. 65+ which I think is kinda equivalent to about 94-95 uai except Finance which requires distinction average 75+. Try not to think about failing a course while under co-op (it sucks) and think about the $573 per fortnight.

Good Luck with all interviews.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nexu said:
Hey guys,

I'm currently in co-op in 1st BIT. It's quite a good course with excellent sponsors. In first year we learnt
- Accounting
- Computing
- Maths
- Information systems (Building database and intro to projects and stuff)

Coming out of BIT there are many areas you can go into. BIT is broad so you could become a business analyst, project manager, IT consultant etc...

Also similar to BIT (nearly the same) is Information System and Management (ISM). This course leans more towards commerce but the real difference is first year subjects taken. Instead of Computing and Maths they do Micro/Macro economics and Quantitative Methods A/B (commerce maths like statistics and stuff). This course is less technical but they miss out on computing which is really fun.

Plus side to ISM is a possible double major into another commerce major giving up the honours option which BIT do (ISM can choose between honours or double major).

BIT and ISM are co-ordinate by Christine Van Toorn who is really great, helpful and friendly and will probably be interviewing some of yous. So really together we have approximately 30 places which is far more than the second most popular co-op degree (Accounting with 15).

The other programs like Finance and accounting are extremely competitive due to the large number of commerce students and less places and so you must retain marks. Acturial have about 13-15 places but aren't always filled due to the toughness of the course.

Throughout co-op you must retain a credit average ie. 65+ which I think is kinda equivalent to about 94-95 uai except Finance which requires distinction average 75+. Try not to think about failing a course while under co-op (it sucks) and think about the $573 per fortnight.

Good Luck with all interviews.
Thanks. Can you tell us what they ask you during interview by the way? Highly appreciated.

nexu

HSC
I don't really remember much but it will be a lecturer from the school and a sponsor representative. They will ask questions about school and anything on your application. Remember what you wrote on your application as they will refer to that quite alot as most of the interview will be about it in more detail.

Also they asked me questions like "Many other students have applied for this place but what sets you apart from them and why should you be accepted?"

I'm pretty sure BIT interviews don't have on-the-spot intimidating questions (unlike UTS BIT, which I remember as horrid and I even refered to schoolies cause that was the only thing on my mind lol).

Sorry I can't remember more but you should learn more in your induction.

summermagic

HSC
Wow thankyou for the tips nexu! I got my first choice which was ISM. I saw in another thread that they only took 4 last year. Is that the same for this year?

nexu

HSC
They took more than 4 last year. I think 9 last year. And 2 BITS swapped to ISM midyear and Accenture transferred their 2 sponsored BIT places to accomodate them. So currently there are 11 ISM and 17 or so BITS.

Each year varies depending on the number of sponsors. Some sponsors only sponsor once every 2 years. When they sponsor though, they sponsor that place for 4 years.

Also, BIT + ISM = BITSA and we hold events and outings alot. We are going paintball in 2 weeks after final exams with sponsors, lecturers, friends and alumni. Lots of fun!

xds123

HSC
hi

i also got interview for BIT and ISM
i am wondering is it better to look at a double major or honours as mentioned above
also i notice it is a BSc program (which should mean cheaper yesss!) is it still possible to get into a good MBA program with it

thx

nexu

HSC
ISM positions are usually filled due to people wanting the title of B Comm which sounds better than B Sc (since everyone wants to get into Commerce).
Currently we have 2 opens spots for BIT after the end of first year.

Subjectwise, Comp is one of my favourite subjects. In Comp, you learn how to program in C.

Maths although much harder than QMA/QMB (commerce maths), is more useful while I heard QMA/QMB they learn stupid things like statistics for 7 weeks or so. I'm not sure.

Oh yeah if you really cared which course had longer hours. Due to Comp and Math both being 6 hours each, BIT is 18 hours a week so all my fellow BIT have 4 days while ISM get their week into 3 days having only 12 hours. But this is only for first year. After first year we both get to enjoy bludgey commerce timetables of 3 hours per subject (12 hrs all up) while engineering still do 24+.

Many of the BITs also want to do double majors so will probably do it through MBA. Christine is really helpful and friendly in answering worries about this once you are in BIT/ISM. She really will help you get through uni with what you want. Just keep mark numbers high.

daeneee

HSC
N/A
how many people are selected for finance specically?
i read <10
and how many people are selected for interviews?

nexu

HSC
Not quite sure about finance co-ops. I believe they have about 12-14 places. Definitely don't know about the number selected for interviews.

vizman

HSC
nexu said:
Not quite sure about finance co-ops. I believe they have about 12-14 places. Definitely don't know about the number selected for interviews.
hey is that you xu? there are around 6-7 finance coops this year

nexu

HSC
Oh hey Victor.

Ok 6-7 finance places then.

milton

HSC
lyounamu said:
oop! oop! already?

Wow, that's fast.

When they look at your application, what's the most important factor? Can anyone give some numerical values to it such as:

40% academic
20% leadership/school contribution
20% personality
20% other things
well main criteria that we are told to look for are:
1. Community involvemnt
2. Academic ability
3. Leadership skills
3. Motivation

for actuarial- theres about 16 in 2nd yr and 14 in 1st yr right now. it really depends on how many sponsors are willing to be involved and with the global financial crisis messing everything up right now- you might expect a slight decrease. you'll find out all this stuff on the open day before your interviews.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)