UNSW Co-op (2 Viewers)

summermagic

HSC
diana169 said:
why are there so few places for Finance, expecting that to go down even more, seeing the current financial crisis. and why is it that no-one seems to remember what questions are asked in the interviews (for finance or BIT), or do they just don't want to tell?
You just answered your own question: the current financial crisis. Companies aren't readily forking out extra cash at the moment. Some are actually looking to lay-off employees in an attempt to maintain profits.

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
diana169 said:
why are there so few places for Finance, expecting that to go down even more, seeing the current financial crisis. and why is it that no-one seems to remember what questions are asked in the interviews (for finance or BIT), or do they just don't want to tell?
Why would we not want to tell you what was asked? If you actually read through this whole thread, you might find a lot of tips about the interview. The reason people forget about it is because they were under stress and more importantly... it would be almost a year since the last lot of interviews took place, people just don't remember details like that for that long.

Finance has always had only a few spots, maybe because few finance co-ops actually stay finance co-ops for long. Only one of the original finance co-ops is still holding the scholarship from our year. Finance needs a Distinction average at uni, some people can't maintain one or they get too stressed and quit.

The best tip for interviews I think is: be yourself. Trying to prepare for interviews by only saying what they want to hear is a bad idea because they can tell whether you mean it or just pulling their legs. By all means try to fluff up what you've done, the interview is fairly personalised based on your application (for BIT at least), though I hear finance might ask some dodgy questions.

mso2

HSC
nexu said:
Hey guys,

I'm currently in co-op in 1st BIT. It's quite a good course with excellent sponsors. In first year we learnt
- Accounting
- Computing
- Maths
- Information systems (Building database and intro to projects and stuff)

Coming out of BIT there are many areas you can go into. BIT is broad so you could become a business analyst, project manager, IT consultant etc...

Also similar to BIT (nearly the same) is Information System and Management (ISM). This course leans more towards commerce but the real difference is first year subjects taken. Instead of Computing and Maths they do Micro/Macro economics and Quantitative Methods A/B (commerce maths like statistics and stuff). This course is less technical but they miss out on computing which is really fun.

Plus side to ISM is a possible double major into another commerce major giving up the honours option which BIT do (ISM can choose between honours or double major).

BIT and ISM are co-ordinate by Christine Van Toorn who is really great, helpful and friendly and will probably be interviewing some of yous. So really together we have approximately 30 places which is far more than the second most popular co-op degree (Accounting with 15).

The other programs like Finance and accounting are extremely competitive due to the large number of commerce students and less places and so you must retain marks. Acturial have about 13-15 places but aren't always filled due to the toughness of the course.

Throughout co-op you must retain a credit average ie. 65+ which I think is kinda equivalent to about 94-95 uai except Finance which requires distinction average 75+. Try not to think about failing a course while under co-op (it sucks) and think about the $573 per fortnight.

Good Luck with all interviews.

well, me being me, decided that i'd only think about Co-op the night before the Interview Briefing Day .. go me :eek:

anyway, i got Finance and ISM - which was two out of three for me (no accounting for me, but my interview for UTS BAcc is on friday - shoulda just had my interview in June but anyway)

THANKS FOR THE INFO! seriously, i'm tryna find out everything about ISM atm ..

and thanks to everyone else as well .. i doubt that i'll get a scholarship coz i crumble under interview pressure (ask UNSW Med *shudders*) and if by some chance i do - i think the UAI cutoff is gonna come and kick me from behind ..

pyko

psychopyko.com
HSC
hihi all
Currently a 4th yr BIT so I thought i'd give my 2c in the discussion about BIT/ISM :)

what nexu said is quite right, doing BIT gives you a lot of opportunities when you graduate and start looking for jobs. You can apply to a whole range of companies...banks, consulting firms, accounting firms, investment banking, software development etc.

Reason being the degree is both business and technical (who would've guessed...Business and Information Technology!)

the actual quality of teaching in your core subjects (INFS) may not be the best, but it isn't all *that* bad taking everything into consideration. I personally didin't really like the style of teaching (compared to other subjects like COMP) however putting it into perspective there are differences in the subject which means the teaching method needs to be different and as sad as it sounds, INFS assignments etc reflect what happens in the industry (ie. sometimes rather vague)

BUT having said that there are heaps of big plus-es in BIT/ISM and I think they are more important. imho one of the best things about BIT/ISM is the network/support/friends and of course Christine :)

Unless you have a whole heap of friends from high school doing the same degree, unlike high school, when you enter uni everyone is everywhere and it is super hard to get to know ppls. However, since BIT/ISM is a group of ~25-30 ppls you get to know these ppls quite well and become good friends. (eg. in 1st yr...my 1st session of uni my timetable was 'random', my 2nd session my timetable was already 'synced' with a handful of other BITs so we would have the same tuts, lunch breaks etc)

So, not only a good close-knit group of friends there is also alumni...there are HEAPS of them. (BIT was the first coop program that started in something like 1987 ...) So everywhere you go you're pretty much guaranteed you'll bump into a BIT.

And as nexu said, Christine (director of BIT/ISM) is just plain awesome! she's really nice and always willing to help :)

Since i'm not ISM i can't say too much about it, other than its a less technical version of BIT and you can have double major in your degree. (eg. major with Finance, Accounting etc). In first year there are quite a few common subjects, but in later years there are fewer common subjects.

hopefully not too late...but as for interviews - wear formal attire. the interviewers are usually an academic and a sponsor representative. and just be yourself in your interview (and also remember what you wrote on your application!)

hope that helps :p
pyko

sitk

HSC
Does anybody know when we know the outcome of the scholarships? I just had my interview today for electrical engineering

sitk

HSC
actually, no, i was quite ill and couldn't go.

thanks for the info

LOL, nice signature

Last edited:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
5pm

i rekon i might get an offer for BIT, but i dont wanna do that lol

i rekon i WONT get one for actuarial studies...too many ppl out there who are WAY smarter than me!!!!!

good luk...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Pwnage101 said:
5pm

i rekon i might get an offer for BIT, but i dont wanna do that lol

i rekon i WONT get one for actuarial studies...too many ppl out there who are WAY smarter than me!!!!!

good luk...
um, I thoutht the interview was supposed to be a private one...

How do you know that they are smarter than you? Just wondering...

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
um, I thoutht the interview was supposed to be a private one...

How do you know that they are smarter than you? Just wondering...
theres a room u go before, and there are like 6 interview rooms, so 6 ppl are scheduled for 9, 6 for 9:30, etc.....

so u start talkin with them and yeh

also, interview briefing day the day b4

moderf

HSC
did anyone who did the actuarial studies coop interview this year get an email today? unsw was supposed 2 email us by 5pm today

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
wooo got it for finance and shortlist for BIT and actuarial.

le-foot

HSC
z600 said:
Congrats.

I heard finance is the most challenging one. Are you gonna take it? or wait for the other two?

moderf

HSC
z600 said:
congrats!! i got shortlisted for actuarial studies, how did everyone else go?

yeeshu

HSC
moderf said:
congrats!! i got shortlisted for actuarial studies, how did everyone else go?
i got shortlisted for it too...i rekkon they jus shortlisted everyone

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
yeh, shortlisted for BIT and Actuarial

but thinkin more and more about it, sure u would get 60 000 buks over teh four years, but this involves like 60 weeks of Industrial placement

so doin the 3 year degree and working in the fourth wont put u behind at all financially....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)