UNSW CoOP - Academic Requirements (1 Viewer)

shieldcause

HSC
I was just wondering how stringent are the academic requirements for the Finance and Banking CoOp UNSW??

I know the ATAR isnt counted, but your internal (school & trials) marks are counted... but how dependent are they on you being offered a scholarship for Finance and Banking?

(I have average grades, ATAR expectancy of probably 98 & do heaps of co-curricular actives and have genuine interest in Finance).

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I was just wondering how stringent are the academic requirements for the Finance and Banking CoOp UNSW??

I know the ATAR isnt counted, but your internal (school & trials) marks are counted... but how dependent are they on you being offered a scholarship for Finance and Banking?

(I have average grades, ATAR expectancy of probably 98 & do heaps of co-curricular actives and have genuine interest in Finance).
Please tell everyone about your interest in finance

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Its pretty much 96.3+, which is not very hard to get.

They also want some kind of indication that you'll get a D average. Otherwise that warrants a kicking out of the program. And the subsequent hassle of acquiring another student.

shieldcause

HSC
LOL i meant what i will prolly get based on current and past reports and we get expected ATARs since year 10

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Is that the ATAR requirement for the program?

So they will only take you on if you get above 96?

What if you only get 91, just enough to get into your course? Do they consider anything else like what course you're taking...? Or what if you don't even get 91 and apply through FEAS, absolutely no chance at all then?
If you only barely get into your course atar cutoff, it is very unlikely that you will survive in coop

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
If you only barely get into your course atar cutoff, it is very unlikely that you will survive in coop
This.

Staying in UNSW coop is relatively hard due to you having to keep an average. Drop outs are far from rare

And from what i know coop doesn't take into account bonus points, EAS or anything that modifies your base admission ranking

mreditor16

HSC
Is that the ATAR requirement for the program?

So they will only take you on if you get above 96?

What if you only get 91, just enough to get into your course? Do they consider anything else like what course you're taking...? Or what if you don't even get 91 and apply through FEAS, absolutely no chance at all then?
If you get 91, you will not land a Co-Op position guaranteed. Regardless of the cut-off of your course, the website says "the academic requirement for entry to the Co-op program is a minimum ATAR of 96 (or equivalent)."

D94

HSC
N/A
For most programs, you only need an average of 65. That is actually considered below average for UNSW overall. So the requirements aren't very challenging, but sure you might have a few challenging courses.

shieldcause

HSC
Thanks heaps guys, so from what i've gathered the academic requirements arent that challenging... just get above 96ATAR... but the chief thing they look for is your capabilities in the interview and application??

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you in the coop program?

Seems I don't know much about the coop program anyway. What is there to survive? I'm guessing you have to maintain a certain grade through your uni course? And if so, how does an ATAR determine how well you do in a particular university course?

Oh well.
no I'm not. Didn't even bother applying because I knew my atar was not going to be >96.whatever

survive the courses, academic standard, etc

ATAR does not at all determine your future success at university but in general for most people, you atar is a general guide as to how well you'll go in your course. For example 2 people studying course ABC at XYZ university who got in with atar's 80 and 95, in general the person who got 95 is more 'likely' to preform better. This isn't to say that the person with 80 atar will preform badly but it is more of a general guide

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
For most programs, you only need an average of 65. That is actually considered below average for UNSW overall. So the requirements aren't very challenging, but sure you might have a few challenging courses.
Exactly on point here.

If you can succeed in the interview stage, you will be shortlisted. From that short list, the students with the highest ranking ATARs on the shortlist are taken aboard until they have no spots left. In the case that a student does not obtain above 96, they are left on a reserve list if they were shortlisted appropriately.

I'm not too sure what happens if there are 5+ potential scholarships but only one short listed gets above 96. Better to contact scholarships office about that one as I'm not sure if they'll go ahead with offering the scholarships or leave them. In saying that, there is usually a high number of applicants for Co-op so it would be very surprising if it got to here.

Seems I don't know much about the coop program anyway. What is there to survive? I'm guessing you have to maintain a certain grade through your uni course? And if so, how does an ATAR determine how well you do in a particular university course?
As D94 said, usually it is Credit average (65 WAM) which is considered below average for UNSW overall.

Back when I applied, the recommendation was that if you think you can achieve an ATAR of 90, then apply for Co-op any way. Some students can be quite surprised with their HSC results (from experience, it can happen).

ATAR doesn't determine anything. University is a completely new ball game.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Okay thanks everyone.

I'm going to apply for everything regardless. Hopefully I get a good enough ATAR.
That's the right mindset. Again, i can't stress enough that you should also look for oppurtunities outside of just UNSW. Such as cadetships and programs in other universities

Reneranger1

HSC
From my general experience with co-op it is really difficult to get into. I applied for finance as well and I didn't even get an interview (atar was 97 btw) and I also came from a disadvAntaged school which should've improved my chances. I know one person doing finance coop and he's atar was 99.4 so it's really competitive for places. But, co op isn't that good tbh. Firstly you can't combine it which is stronger further down the track. Secondly any commerce student can get placements it's just about joining the right societies, wam etc. so while it's good to have co op it's not the end of world if you don't

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)