UNSW International Studies worthwhile? (1 Viewer)

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
Hay peeps,

Anyways I received an offer for International Studies at UNSW and I'm currently tossing up between this and B Business at UTS which i got for main round offers. THe thing is i want to do Law eventually, my initial plan was to do Business at UTS, transfer to UNSW commerce and then do post grad law, but I've been told that Internal transfers at unsw are waaay easier. Which opens up the possibility of Int. Studies -> Comm -> JD Law or int studies -> Law with a 75 WAM.

Is int. studies worth looking at? Has anyone had any experience with int studies who would care to share your experience? Im torn between these two degrees which Im planning to use as a pathway to get into law either way.

thoughts?

acemusic415

HSC
I don't know much myself however I am undertaking an International Studies/Law degree @ UNSW and I'm doing Language Studies as a major, thus choosing two languages. It seems like a pretty solid degree and provides 2 semesters overseas to consolidate your language and the knowledge regarding that region. Tbh, its a jacked up version of an Arts degree, but all in all you can do that the degree @ UNSW and then transfer with the proper marks into law etc. If I remember correctly, external transfer is harder than internal transfer, so you might as well do the International Studies degree @ UNSW.

In terms of experience, I haven't started because it's still vacation, but it does seem like a good degree in terms of learning about international politics, law and context.

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
Ah, ok so essentially Arts on steroids going overseas and studying a language. Would I still be able to do some business subject choices in 1st year if i were planning to internal transfer to UNSW commerce, if the Law transfer doesn't work out?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, there are 36 (UOC) for free electives that you can choose from other faculties. If you want to do commerce then MGMT1001, ACCT1501, ECON1101 or ECON1203 (this can be replaced with MATH1151 and MATH1251). However you can only pick 3 subjects per semester as you have 1 compulsory international studies core.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, there are 36 (UOC) for free electives that you can choose from other faculties. If you want to do commerce then MGMT1001, ACCT1501, ECON1101 or ECON1203 (this can be replaced with MATH1151 and MATH1251). However you can only pick 3 subjects per semester as you have 1 compulsory international studies core.
So for 1st semester I can do. Korean studies (Language core), Compulsory Int studies, International Business unit (Major), (Any subject from another faculty??)

Concerti

HSC
So for 1st semester I can do. Korean studies (Language core), Compulsory Int studies, International Business unit (Major), (Any subject from another faculty??)
Weren't you unenrolling from UNSW?

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
Ok i think ill go with the UNSW option but bastardise the degree somewhat and flood the electives with commerce cores...

1. International Relations core
2. Language sub
3. Global Business Environment
4. Microeconomics 1.
5. Language sub, second sam
6. Int Bus & Multinat Operations
7. Managing Organisations&People
8. Business and the Law or Marketing fundamentals.

This should make it easier to get credit transfer to comm right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)