UNSW interview offer rural students (1 Viewer)

Preity

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm a rural student (applied to MBBS at UNSW) and I received an email today about an interview offer at unsw. So does this mean that the unis already have our umat scores? and did anyone else get one? thanks :)

crystalfishy

HSC
are you both rural applicants? and did you get it for any other universities apart from UNSW? Also, have you guys submitted your Med. application? - i haven't since the deadline is 30th september...

i wonder how you got an interview when ur estimated is 93? Thought you needed like 99-100 estimated atar and solid umat to get one of these early interviews.

Preity

HSC
Because I'm a rural interstate applicant, I'll be interviewed on the 25th Jan '10 since they said that only 5% of interstate applicants end up enrolling in their course so they deliberately made our interviews at a later date in case we get offers in our home state first (to save time and money for flights etc).

My ATAR prediction was 99.9 - 99.95. Hopefully I can work hard to make it a reality now :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Mate with a predicted ATAR of that I'm sure you'll get in, probably with a scholarship too, I'd be putting rural bonded scholarship as my 1st preference for sure haha
Med scholarship is extremely hard to get :S only 2 get it apparently

chingyloke

Ex-Prince of Manchester.
HSC
But yeah what is everyone wearing, it says don't need suit or whatever...but yeah what are you guys thinking?

I got one :)

definately want to know UMAT results now. I'm gonna suit up, weather permitting. If it's stinking hot i don't want to be all sweaty going in...so not sure.

but i'll definately have a tie and stuff happening.

Preity

HSC
Hey guys, um just a question...is there a site that you have to log into to book an interview time? I heard that there were different sites for local and rural students. Thanks :)

singh.with.me

HSC
^^
the email that informed you of recieving an interview should (...atleast mine did) also give you the link to the website for time bookings....
you need to enter your registration of interest no. as the password and your email as the username, that should get you in =]

yay for everyone who got interviews... im getting nervous now lol.

what times are people choosing?

Preity

HSC
Hey Singh.with.me, congrats on the interview offer :)

um this is the email i got, it didn't give me any link for bookings. It might be because I'm an interstate applicant:

Dear Applicant,

I am writing to you as you are applying for Medicine through the RSES at UNSW from interstate. Our experience since implementing an interview as part of our selection process is that the preference for almost all interstate applicants is to enter a medical school in their home state. They apply to UNSW Medicine just in case they are not offered a place in a medical school closer to home. As a result, fewer than 5% of interstate applicants who attend an interview eventually enrol in our course.

The Faculty has devised a process whereby an interstate applicant can have the opportunity to have UNSW Medicine as a preference, and yet not be required to attend an interview at UNSW unless they do not obtain a place in their home state medical school. This process means that almost all interstate applicants will be saved the very significant time and expense of travelling interstate for an interview.

I am pleased to advise you that you were above the cut-off for the September/October round of interviews, and therefore we will give you an interview in late January, 2010 if you do not gain entry into a medical school in your home state.

The process works as follows:
1. Applicants are selected for the main round (late September) and late round (early January) for interviews at UNSW. Interstate applicants (such as yourself) are selected along with all other applicants, but are not scheduled for either of these rounds of interviews.
2. The outcome of the first round of offers for places in interstate medical schools will be known about January 20, 2010.
3. For those applicants who were selected for an interview at UNSW in either the main or second round of interviews and have not been offered a place in their home medical school(s) will be offered an interview at UNSW on the 25th January 2010.
4. Applicants interviewed in late January will be subject to exactly the same interview and process as those interviewed early.
5. If the results of their interview, together with their academic score, rural score and UMAT results, exceed the cut-off that was required for entry into UNSW Medicine in the main round of offers, they will be offered a place in the UNSW Medicine course in the late round of offers.
6. It must be stressed that applicants interviewed in late January will not be disadvantaged in any way in this process.

Please contact me if you have any questions on this issue.

Yours sincerely,
Justine Brindle

Justine Brindle I Rural Clinical School Sydney Campus l Faculty of Medicine l UNSW l Sydney 2052 l Room 327 Samuels Building l Ph: 02 9385 3250 l Fax 02 9385 1970 l Email: justine@unsw.edu.au l CRICOS Provider No: 00098G l UNSW Rural Clinical School - Home l

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Congrats to those who have gotten interview offers so far, to those who have missed out so far, best of luck for others and there are many many other pathways to medicine, etc.

Mate with a predicted ATAR of that I'm sure you'll get in, probably with a scholarship too, I'd be putting rural bonded scholarship as my 1st preference for sure haha
Be very careful about accepting an MRBS without fully understanding the contract as you must fully understand the consequences before you find out when you in your mid to late twenty's or early thirties that you no longer want to go rural because of family, etc.

Last edited:

singh.with.me

HSC
preity, congratulations to you too =]

well, heres the link i was emailed: Faculty of Medicine.
maybe you could try this?
good luck!

edit: okay, so my link miraculously changed lol, should still work, i hope.

Preity

HSC
preity, congratulations to you too =]

well, heres the link i was emailed: Faculty of Medicine.
maybe you could try this?
good luck!

edit: okay, so my link miraculously changed lol, should still work, i hope.
Thanks for the link Singh, I am able to log on to it but thing is, the interview dates are all scheduled for September/October 2009 and being a rural interstate student, mine's meant to be on the 25th of Jan 2010. I guess I'll just have to email Justine Brindle and find out. Thanks for your help tho! :)

lizajane91

HSC
i just found out i got an interview offer too!! yay
really surprised tho considering my predicted ATAR was 95...so nervous for interviews now haha

Preity

HSC
Hey LizaJane :) well done, I reckon you'll get an awesome umat score then! what time have you booked your interview?

yep, i agree with you Macca :)

lizajane91

HSC
Hey, havent booked a time yet cos i need to check the dates with my parents...but i think id prefer a weekend so i can maybe go look around at some other campuses because i didnt have a chance to go to open days
UNSW is my first preference tho so im so excited!

singh.with.me

HSC
congratulations lizajane! um, dont think we get a weekend option, pretty sure the dates are 29th to the 2nd of october...
unless you're an interstate applicant TOO?! :confused:
wow wow, yes you must have aced the umat, woot! =]

Last edited:

lizajane91

HSC
yeah i worked out there was no weekend option this morning....bit of a bummer really cos its the last week of school

oh and yeah with an ATAR of 93, ur UMAT must be great but remember they also take ur rurality into account...so depending on where you live and what school you go to ur rurality score might have helped you too....pretty sure it helped me alot

Preity

HSC
If my family is going to move to NSW anyway next year, do you think I could have the date of my interview changed to early January 2010? or possibly even December this year (if they have interview times then)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)