Unsw Med First Round Interviews!! (1 Viewer)

Saul

*ss
HSC
its based on both, you got to get a good UMAT and a good UAI prediction

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes, I know. What I was saying was that though the criteria are dependent on both UAI prediction and UMAT score (as told to me by the med lecturer at UNSW Expo) the UAI prediction seems to count more, simply because it is far more difficult to enter the acceptable range in the UAI tenet (>95) than it is for the UMAT (>50).

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
There is no "pass" for the UMAT so you can't just say that you need over 50% to get an interview.
I think that they don't look at your predicted UAIs much because some schools may just give everyone 99s.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by deyveed
I think that they look at your predicted UAIs much because some schools may just give everyone 99s.
You mean they don't look at your predicted UAIs much, or they do?

I think you mean they do not, as some schools may give everyone 99s?

(Like my school principal: "Does 99 sound good to you? Top 1%?" LOL :rofl: he had to come up with reasons why I wasn't a 100, hahahaha! Best meeting ever :D)

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Exactly. Which school wouldn't want to predict 99s for their students? Getting students into med wouldn't exactly hurt a schools reputations. Maybe for this round they just took the top 300-400 UMAT scores out of the 3000 or so who applied.

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
I agree.
They probably just took the best UMAT scores, checked to see if they're predicted UAIs are between 96-100 and offered some interviews.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
There is no "pass" for the UMAT so you can't just say that you need over 50% to get an interview.
I think that they don't look at your predicted UAIs much because some schools may just give everyone 99s.
Did you go to the Med lecture?

He said that the minimum UMAT requirement was 50% He also told a conference of careers advisers (mine was one of them) that Interview scores are placed into 5 performance levels (like bands). Most succesful applicants fall into bands A and B. Very few, if any, are drawn from bands C, D or E. Those that DO come from the lower three have exceptional UAI and UMAT results.

In short, the minimum requirements would be thus:

Int: Band C (rare)
UAI: 95
UMAT: 50

Obviously, if you get these you won't get in, because if you have a (relatively) low score in one of the three criteria you'll need to balance that result in the other two if you want a chance at competing.

Last edited:

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Ok. I would agree that applicants must meet the minimum score of at least 50 to be considered for an interview but they simply cannot offer interviews for everyone with a high UAI estimate and a 'pass' in the UMAT

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok. I would agree that applicants must meet the minimum score of at least 50 to be considered for an interview but they simply cannot offer interviews for everyone with a high UAI estimate and a 'pass' in the UMAT
Obviously, we're agreed on that. Hence many other Rusers who didn't get an invitation. And on the flip side, me, who had a UAI prediction of only 95 :(

is a roflcopter
HSC
i dont think uai prediction would of had a very large part

anyway here the link i found
from the accepted dudes in my school
3/4 of the guys post here! hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)