UNSW O-Week (1 Viewer)

UNSW OWeek

HSC
N/A
Week Zero is a new thing which has been introduced this year. Unfortunately the university hasn't done a fantastic job explaining to students exactly what academic activities they are expected/required to attend during this week.

The basic idea is that "Week Zero" is a time when the faculties can run compulsory academic activities. These could include things like field trips, lab inductions, or various other activities which are not lectures or tutorials. This is all good and well, however at this stage it's not clear of the exact details of these activities for any given faculty.

Week Zero is in the same week as O-Week (March 3-7) however they are not really the "same thing". O-Week (orientation week) is a week long, non-compulsory, non-academic event. It is a chance for new students to get to know the campus in a fun and friendly atmosphere. There are activities such as campus tours, live entertainment, stalls for the clubs and societies on campus, etc. There are also events such as faculty welcomes, which are run by the faculties, but are not compulsory, and not a part of "Week Zero".

At this stage none of the faculties have indicated to us (The O-Week program) that they will be running Week Zero activities for first years, however you should definitely keep an eye on your faculty and school websites and read carefully any letters or emails you receive, as it is possible that you will have compulsory Week Zero activities, in addition to the non-compulsory O-Week activities.

I hope this clears things up a bit. If you have any questions, feel free to jump over to the O-Week forums at http://www.oweek.unsw.edu.au/forums where Yellowshirts (O-Week volunteers) will be able to give you more advice.

HSC
well if week zero doesnt have lectures or tutorials, i have better things too do like to play with my balls

barling89

McLovin it :D
HSC
i haven't seen all of this thread and can't be bothered to do so, but does o-week have official start times on each day? is it always around 9am?

Conspirocy

HSC
barling89 said:
i haven't seen all of this thread and can't be bothered to do so, but does o-week have official start times on each day? is it always around 9am?
Yeah 9am and you have to show up Monday to Friday

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
barling89 said:
i have to?
Yeah, you risk potentially losing your position at UNSW if you don't attend (or so they say). They believe it reflects that you aren't serious or some crap. I don't agree with it.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
barling89 said:
ROFL. Okay if you have a look at your O-week timetable (should be mailed to you as part of enrolment) otherwise check O-week website, each day offers a faculty welcome for students.

i.e. Monday for Commerce, Tuesday for Law, Wednesday for Medicine, Thursday for Science, and so on.

If you're interested in the academic matters only go for the day of your faculty. Get everything done on that day, do an orientation with yellow shirts, or do your own self-tour like I did, and find the specific classes for your timetable.

If you have a friend at UNSW, get them to be your tour guide, helps alot especially in finding certain rooms.

Unless if you want to attend the dance parties or activities on the other days, just go for 1 day for O-week. You'll soon be having 5 days of 9-5s approx anyway, so UNSW will become your second home.

P.s. Lol Uhaw where's the smexy .gif image in your sig!

barling89

McLovin it :D
HSC
uhawww said:
Yeah, you risk potentially losing your position at UNSW if you don't attend (or so they say). They believe it reflects that you aren't serious or some crap. I don't agree with it.
lol mmkay. But it looks like fun and I'll finally be able to meet some ppl, so I'll just go and be a team player......not sure about joining Arc though....

Rekkusu said:
P.s. Lol Uhaw where's the smexy .gif image in your sig!
thanks man, and yeah...where IS smexy?!

Last edited:

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Shit I was just kidding!! You don't have to go lol. You can go anytime, any day, for anything.

I removed the .gif cause it was annoying heaps of people. But I have been getting a large number of requests to bring it back. It may or may not be backc in my sig soon.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
O-week is pretty awesome, however after that it's all downhill.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
The first year I went? Akmal Saleh + new friends + discovering pool. (The low point that year was when I spewed on the shoes of a girl I met a few hours earlier because I decided to down vodka without having lunch or dinner. I don't think I've spoken to her since)

Last year? Wil Anderson.

I'm assuming this year Ahn Do will be absolutely hilarious.

edit: maybe 06 was Wil and 07 was Akmal, i forget

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)