• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UNSW Open Day 2015 (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
so HSC maffs tips and tricks...

for the third consecutive year violates OH&S regulations by severely overcrowding the room

when will they give us a proper sized room? unbelievable.

However, I am happy to announce that this is the first year where we had zero mistakes on the slides :)

Whether we have mistakes in the handout, time will tell
how many lgs did you slay this year at open day

Ekman

HSC
so HSC maffs tips and tricks...

for the third consecutive year violates OH&S regulations by severely overcrowding the room

when will they give us a proper sized room? unbelievable.

However, I am happy to announce that this is the first year where we had zero mistakes on the slides :)

Whether we have mistakes in the handout, time will tell
Yes the lecture room was really full, lucky I got there early to get a seat. The lecture itself was alright, but you guys blitzed through like 10 different ways of solving questions without explaining any logic behind it. For example the Heaviside-Cover up method, according to the guy, "We should just cover up one term, and sub it into the fraction and boom theres your coefficient". Also I would like to report one mistake I found in the combinatorics section, with the question about "In how many ways can five students be placed in three distinct rooms so that no room is empty?". You aren't meant to do the stars and bars method, hence you got a smaller answer than the real one, which was 150. When you do the stars and bars method you assume that the people and the rooms are identical hence the reason why you got the smaller answer. That's so far the only mistake I spotted out

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes the lecture room was really full, lucky I got there early to get a seat. The lecture itself was alright, but you guys blitzed through like 10 different ways of solving questions without explaining any logic behind it. For example the Heaviside-Cover up method, according to the guy, "We should just cover up one term, and sub it into the fraction and boom theres your coefficient". Also I would like to report one mistake I found in the combinatorics section, with the question about "In how many ways can five students be placed in three distinct rooms so that no room is empty?". You aren't meant to do the stars and bars method, hence you got a smaller answer than the real one, which was 150. When you do the stars and bars method you assume that the people and the rooms are identical hence the reason why you got the smaller answer. That's so far the only mistake I spotted out
Yeah LOL. I saw that as well. #rookieerror

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
i never said "boom" :(

But as it was explained to me after, when you cover-up the factor, it is as if you've multiplied it across to the other side, so when you substitute the root of the factor in, you'll get whatever you would've usually had anyway. By covering up, you don't actually multiply anything to the other side, hence you save time.

In general, the hand-out is pretty much self contained and if you study it, you'll most likely understand it. I asked a 1st Class Honours student to come watch the second of the sessions to give us some feedback - and he basically said the same things you said, that we had to rush through slides due to constraints and some of the content not being super relevant or not actually being a 'tip or trick' (i.e. solving complex square roots using mod/arg form).

Important thing is: progress. :p

and i've contacted the maffsoc people about that mistake and we're figuring it out now

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Then they didn't even let you into the computing building. It was really weird honestly, especially since I thought CSE at UNSW was pretty big.
The building is not even open on weekends unless you are a member of CSE and have a student/staff id.

There are students and staff in the buildings during weekends doing other stuff.

The building is full of good computers; that's pretty much it lol.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Also Heaviside can be understood in full depth when learning about residual theorems, which of course isn't in HSC.

Flop21

HSC
The building is not even open on weekends unless you are a member of CSE and have a student/staff id.

There are students and staff in the buildings during weekends doing other stuff.

The building is full of good computers; that's pretty much it lol.
Thought so. Is it nice inside? I was there for the high school info day thing, and got a look at the room with the mini soccer field in it (for the robots), seemed pretty nice. Would you say it's better than the other uni's you've seen (facilities)?

I just wish there were more pics of university's buildings and their interiors.

Ekman

HSC
Also Heaviside can be understood in full depth when learning about residual theorems, which of course isn't in HSC.
I already understood the Heaviside method before the lecture, its just the way he rushed through it during the lecture that didn't allow anyone else to understand it. Then again the handouts were pretty good at explaining it anyway.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Thought so. Is it nice inside? I was there for the high school info day thing, and got a look at the room with the mini soccer field in it (for the robots), seemed pretty nice. Would you say it's better than the other uni's you've seen (facilities)?

I've been in the building and it's pretty good

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Someone say interior?

I have pictures of most fk the buildings ;p

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

It's nice inside and better than many other buildings on campus. It's quite new as well.

As for other uni's, I have no idea about their comp sci buildings as I have never been to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)