UNSW or UTS for bachelors of business? (1 Viewer)

panpam6

HSC
Should I do my bachelors of economics at uts or unsw?

What are your opinions on the trimester system at unsw, work life balance, internship opportunties, pros and cons of each? I have always been set on unsw for its social life but now reconsidering due to the controversy of its trimesters (more compressed, fast pace, less time to work, etc.)

And how do uni transfers work? Please provide any insight to your experiences!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, there should not be much difference between the Bachelor of Economics at either university. You can expect to study the same content at UTS or UNSW. Additionally, both universities have good business schools, although UNSW Business School is more well-regarded. However, this will likely not be significant as the university's reputation is not a major consideration here, unlike fields such as law, where attending a better-ranked university is typically advantageous. You can start a successful career as a Bachelor of Economics graduate, whether from UTS or UNSW, and you can maximise your ability to do so by performing well throughout your degree as well as taking advantage of work experience opportunities such as internships during your time at university. Both UTS and UNSW should offer such opportunities, because of which it would be a good idea to contact both universities as they can provide you with relevant and up-to-date information.

Regarding the semester and trimester systems, they each offer different advantages and disadvantages. For instance, a semester is longer than a trimester, although the number of subjects taken under full-time study is 4 in a semester compared to 3 in a trimester. The trimester system can also allow you to graduate a term early because you can complete up to 9 subjects a year under the trimester system compared to 8 subjects a year under the semester system. On the other hand, semesters are not only generally said to be more comfortable than trimesters, but it seems that the trimester system negatively affects holidays in the sense that your holidays would not align with those of students in other universities, which could be problematic to UNSW students with friends in other universities.

In terms of transfers, universities consider your ATAR or your university results, whichever gives you a better chance of admission. For your university results to be considered, UNSW requires you to study at least one year full-time, whereas this requirement for UTS can vary. Transferring to a different university (external transfer) will require a new application through UAC. If you are transferring to a different degree within the same university (internal transfer), you may not need to apply through UAC, as is the case of UNSW's Internal Program Transfer.

I hope this helps! 😄

panpam6

HSC
This was really informative! Thank you for your insights!

coolascucumber

HSC
you’ll miss out on some internship opportunities at UNSW because of the trimester system (winter). Also note that first year subjects at the two unis vary quite heavily and if you were to transfer from UTS to UNSW, I wouldn’t be expecting many to be credited.

panpam6

HSC
Thank you! Could you please elaborate more on the missed internship opportunties?

coolascucumber

HSC
Thank you! Could you please elaborate more on the missed internship opportunties?
there are some internships which operate mid year when unsw is in t2, whereas other semester based unis are on break. I wouldn’t say this is so much an issue however, it is one of the best unis especially for what you’re looking at.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)