UNSW Subject Reviews. (1 Viewer)

EdmondDW

HSC
Math1031:8/10
Easy, but the lecturers r ok~

Chem1011:8/10
The toturial is sooo stupid. The lab is also boring....but the lecture content is ok...

Bios1201:8/10
The lab is interesting...but some of the lectures r really boring...Pro.Edward's is recommended strongly~

Bios1301:0/10
I am so regret to choose this course...A waste of money and time...To be honest the professor who is responsible for this course didn't organise it very good...Damn's lectures r so stupid and sleepy...some pictures with one word consists his PPT...Oh my god...how can I choose this course~:burn:

joshuaali

HSC
BABS1201 (Molecules, Cells and Genes):
Ease: 9/10
Lecturers: 5/10
Interest: 1/10
Overall: 4/10
Comments: Easiest course ever. Anybody that has completed HSC biology should be able to gain a distinction in this course with minimal effort, which also makes it very repetitive and uninteresting. Most people who study this course, however, have no choice.

CHEM1031 (Higher Chemistry 1C):
Ease: 6/10
Lecturers: 6/10
Interest: 8/10
Overall: 7/10
Comments: Perhaps my most difficult first year course, this course is not for the mere rote learner! Dr Haines seems to have put a lot of effort into his lecture notes and they are rather detailed. The other lecturer who taught organic chemistry (whose name I cannot seem to recall) was boring to the point that a student remained asleep in his seat well after the lecture had finished! Another student had to shake him to wake him up! Despite all this, I found the content interesting as it was something I had never come across in, say, high school.

MATH1131 (Mathematics 1A):
Ease: 7/10
Lecturers: 7/10
Interest: 7/10
Comments: This course is a HSC Mathematics Extension 1 prerequisite course and it certainly lives up to that standard! Perhaps a third of the content was derived from HSC Mathematics Extension 1/2 content, but the remainder was entirely new, making it challenging but not entirely hopeless. Dr Chris Bose, my algebra lecturer, seemed to have this enthusiasm and passion for the content he was teaching, making it easier to pay attention. Unfortunately, I hear that he is returning to Canada, his home country, before the second session. Dr Rob Taggart, my calculus lecturer, is prone to making mistakes in his work. However, the effort he places into making his lectures more interesting and easy to understand is definitely clear and makes up for any silly errors.

HSC
I could make a website about this, but I'm too damn lazy. Or am I?

Would anyone care to donate money for a domain name? I hate forking out 10 bucks for a domain every time I do something.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
I could make a website about this, but I'm too damn lazy. Or am I?

Would anyone care to donate money for a domain name? I hate forking out 10 bucks for a domain every time I do something.
meh it doesn't need a domain, just use the CSE domain and put it in this thread and ppl will click it

HSC
I can't use the cse domain because I don't own it :p

dark: Wiki's are ok for some things, but this could really benefit from a submission and selection process type website. Kind of like that site someone made which is supposed to make a really good timetable for you. Using a wiki is in effect no different to using a forum in this scenario, there will still be a lot of overhead.

PS. Are ya back?

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
i was under the impression all CSE students get webspace at like ~CSE/something

for some reason

HSC
uhawww said:
i was under the impression all CSE students get webspace at like ~CSE/something

for some reason
Webspace != good hosting. CSE hosting certainly isn't, it doesn't even have php5, and I don't know if we're even allowed mysql or postgressql, etc.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Webspace != good hosting. CSE hosting certainly isn't, it doesn't even have php5, and I don't know if we're even allowed mysql or postgressql, etc.
ah i see

the wiki is def a better idea then

spontaneous

HSC
FINS1613
Ease: 7/10 - The fortnightly quizzes were sometimes a bit difficult + theres a lot of content but it all made sense in the end, final wasnt as bad as i was expecting
Lecturer(s): 8/10 - Katherine? was good
Overall: 7.5/10

ACCT2522
Ease: 7.5/10 - everything was fine till the finals which were totally like WTFFFF
Lecturer(s): 7/10 - average
Interest: 7/10

LEGT1711
Ease: 8/10 - I found the 3 pg lecture notes to be great
Lecturer(s): 8/10 - actually liked janet
Overall: 8/10

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
This needs something of a bump, seeing as it's the end of session.

I'll add a review when I'm done with my 3 exams and 2 essays that are really, really overdue.

Tim035

HSC
MICRO2011:
Ease- 8, nothing you learn is overly difficult & the course content isn't overwhelming; the exams are all short & long answer, no mcq; which I like but may not appeal so much to those with whom english isn't the 1st language.
Lectures- 7, lectures only became interesting towards the end with antibiotics, the guy doing viruses forgot to show up to 1 lecure.
Interest- 7
Overall-8

ANAT2241 (histology):
Ease- 8
Lectures- 10
Interest- 9
Overall-9

Pat is awesome, and his study notes make the finals cake.

PHPH2101:
Ease- 7, quite a large amount of content to learn, a few difficult concepts in neurophysiology.
Lectures- 7, CVS and neurophys lectures were great, muscle lectures the guy made it out that this was the 10th time he'd had to teach this and was bored out of his brain.
Overally- 8

BIOC2011:
Ease- 6, lots and lots of enzymes / pathways to learn, which is very dull...
Lectures- 7, Mike Edwards is hilarious, the guy who did lipid metabolism had very hard to understand notes that kept me reading the textbook to understand wtf was going on.
Interest- 5, combined with the labs, this is a fairly dull subject ZZzz..
Overally- 6

EDIT- After reflection, giving path a bad rating wasn't justified, I actually didn't mind that much having to do my own independant research to create my own notes, rather then having another subject where you just regurgitate lecture notes in exam.

Last edited:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
FINS3640:
Ease- 5, Assignments had absolutely no relevance to the lecture material that we had covered. It was mainly to (what we speculated) help him with his research.
Lectures- 3, Smart lecturer, but has the worst organisation skills, freaking lazy, vague. For example, we had NO idea of what we were going to cover in the next lecture. Course outline had some readings, but wasn't even relevant to the lecture material we were covering.
Little to no WEBT CT interaction. No discussion forum, no announcements, no assignment coversheets uploaded to webct, no past exams, no results posted up, etc. So we basically had to attend the lecture to get all assignment questions, go to lecturer/tutorials for our marks, study off just the lecture slides for the exams.

Also, the exam was out of nowhere. 3 Questions, 30marks each. And it was just a long answer question (one of them had derivation question in it). Average was 51% and i got around 30-40%. Worst midsem ever.
Interest- 4, Seemed like a good subject in theory, thought was going to learn a lot of practical skillsets.. but that was in theory. I think i learned nothing from this subject.
Overally- 3; Avoid this subject with the lecturer; "JONOTHAN REEVES". Apparently the previous lecturer made this course good.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

MATH1231
Ease: 6/10 - The prerequisite was a pass conceded from MATH1131, which was pretty crappy compared to MATH1231 anyway
Lecturer(s): 8/10 - Ellis was a pretty awesome lecturer, Roberts was so and so, Tisdell on the otherhand was damn awesome

MATS1101
Ease: 8/10 - It provided a good balance of memorising and thinking when it comes to learning and wasn't hard to understand
Lecturer(s): 7/10 - Crosky is a pretty cool guy and so is Granville because it will be your loss if you don't ask Granville questions given the opportunity, but as for Bishop he will just read off slides on an overhead projector. I don't like that.
Interest: 8/10 - The online tutorials were very good although the labs frustrated me a little, Choi was a damn awesome tutor and without a foreign accent I can definitely understand what she is saying

CVEN1300
Ease: 5/10 - The course got much harder especially the topic of geometric properties in the statics component, but hey, I should feel sorry for the people in MMAN1300. The way this course was taught wasn't good enough.
Lecturer(s): 5/10 - I like how Vrcelj hands out lollies :D but she talks a little too slowly and her acccent makes her a little harder to understand. The dynamics lecturers tend to just read off slides, one of them has a thick asian accent, what?
Interest: 5/10 - Not much fun
Overall: 5/10

CVEN1701
Ease: 5/10 - Although there is a lack of mathematics, the theory is tiresome
Lecturer(s): 6/10 - Moore is a slow talker but encourages discussions which is excellent, Turner is a good talker and highlights important keywords for us in the notes and van den Akker is alright
Interest: 3/10 - Boring course, only the systems engineering component was remotely worth learning
Overall: 2/10 - Hate this course and I will not enrol in it again if I fail (and hope not)

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

Forbidden. said:
CVEN1300
Lecturer(s): 5/10 - I like how Vrcelj hands out lollies :D but she talks a little too slowly and her acccent makes her a little harder to understand.

CVEN1701
Lecturer(s): 6/10 - Moore is a slow talker but encourages discussions which is excellent, Turner is a good talker and highlights important keywords for us in the notes and van den Akker is alright
Turner is the best lecturer in the school, closely followed by the geotech (kurt and adrian) the other water guys (ron and bruce).

Subject review time (grouped, since all the courses have changed since i did them...)

1st year civil: Maths, physics, chemistry, basic mechanics, computing
This stuff seems hard when you do it. Half of it you will never touch again, the other half (concepts and basic methods) will be used so often that it will become second nature. The bad news is that if you can't do statics, you're boned for 2nd and 3rd years. Don't underestimate the powar of computing. Take a look at the programs in the lab comps, they can do your homework for you in pretty much every subject. Get good at cad or slope software or struc analysis or hydro modelling or matlab or systems modelling. Everyone will love you and beg for your assistance.

Industrial training:
12 weeks is mandatory and usually taken after 3rd year. Try to do 12 weeks after 1st, 2nd and 3rd years, with different employers in different areas. Pick up a 1-or-2-day-a-week job for 3rd & 4th years. You'll have HUGE advantage over everyone else if you can manage to do this.

Geotech
Not nearly as hard as it looks if you just do all the practice questions out of H&K. Great lecturers help. KNOW YOUR STUFF beforehand and nasser will give you extra marks for answering questions in the lecture, I picked up 5 or 6 marks this way (although I suspect that he doesn't actually add them on at all...) Pick one geotech elective so you can go on the field trip in fourth year. DO IT. Career is hell - nobody can see what you do, nobody wants to pay for it and you only get credit for disasters. Try to get job at PSM.

Structures
Go buy HB2.2, or photocopy the entire thing. You need it. The new course has crap structure. Lecturers either cater for advanced students (steve and tinloi) or for the morons (zora + mario). It's not hard, everything you need for design is in HB2.2, everything you need for analysis can be easily copied off examples (open book exams). If you are a dull person or have poor english, this is the career for you. Aim to work at Arup.

Construction & Management
These courses are the easy option, guaranteed DNs for everyone, HDs if you aren't a moron. Boring lecture material - try to distract the lecturers, they're really interesting people. dCar likes talking about how stupid politicians and students are, steve likes talking about projects he's worked on (and is deceptively smart, liek genius level smart, but it doesn't show because the material is so easy).
Try and get work experience in construction before you decide on it as a career. I did - 60hr weeks, rural placement, dealing with bogan construction workers all day, not for me. Go for big companies, there's more variation in the projects to keep it interesting.

Transport
Dull. Easy option for honours. Aim for a design consultancy, road construction is the worst job in the world.

Water
AWESOME (biased...)
Seriously, it's awesome. Hydraulics courses are easy, there's only liek 3 principles. Find a good tutor, copying off the board will get you nowhere. You must do the tutorials to not suck at this stuff. Water treatment course is crap. Hydrology with ashish and matt is fun, they have good notes. Coastal / beach is the best course ever. None of this is too easy, you have to teach yourself how to do the stuff, it's not spoonfed like in structures. Careers abound, try WRL for an awesome working environment or one of the big consultancies. Phd scholarhips everywhere.

Mumma

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

Forbidden. said:
CVEN1300
Ease: 5/10 - The course got much harder especially the topic of geometric properties in the statics component, but hey, I should feel sorry for the people in MMAN1300. The way this course was taught wasn't good enough.
Lecturer(s): 5/10 - I like how Vrcelj hands out lollies :D but she talks a little too slowly and her acccent makes her a little harder to understand. The dynamics lecturers tend to just read off slides, one of them has a thick asian accent, what?
Interest: 5/10 - Not much fun
Overall: 5/10

CVEN1701
Ease: 5/10 - Although there is a lack of mathematics, the theory is tiresome
Interest: 3/10 - Boring course, only the systems engineering component was remotely worth learning
Overall: 2/10 - Hate this course and I will not enrol in it again if I fail (and hope not)
I thought you were doing mechanical engineering?

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: UNSW Subject Reviews.

drewbrow1 said:
Turner is the best lecturer in the school, closely followed by the geotech (kurt and adrian) the other water guys (ron and bruce).

Subject review time (grouped, since all the courses have changed since i did them...)

1st year civil: Maths, physics, chemistry, basic mechanics, computing
This stuff seems hard when you do it. Half of it you will never touch again, the other half (concepts and basic methods) will be used so often that it will become second nature. The bad news is that if you can't do statics, you're boned for 2nd and 3rd years. Don't underestimate the powar of computing. Take a look at the programs in the lab comps, they can do your homework for you in pretty much every subject. Get good at cad or slope software or struc analysis or hydro modelling or matlab or systems modelling. Everyone will love you and beg for your assistance.

Industrial training:
12 weeks is mandatory and usually taken after 3rd year. Try to do 12 weeks after 1st, 2nd and 3rd years, with different employers in different areas. Pick up a 1-or-2-day-a-week job for 3rd & 4th years. You'll have HUGE advantage over everyone else if you can manage to do this.

Geotech
Not nearly as hard as it looks if you just do all the practice questions out of H&K. Great lecturers help. KNOW YOUR STUFF beforehand and nasser will give you extra marks for answering questions in the lecture, I picked up 5 or 6 marks this way (although I suspect that he doesn't actually add them on at all...) Pick one geotech elective so you can go on the field trip in fourth year. DO IT. Career is hell - nobody can see what you do, nobody wants to pay for it and you only get credit for disasters. Try to get job at PSM.

Structures
Go buy HB2.2, or photocopy the entire thing. You need it. The new course has crap structure. Lecturers either cater for advanced students (steve and tinloi) or for the morons (zora + mario). It's not hard, everything you need for design is in HB2.2, everything you need for analysis can be easily copied off examples (open book exams). If you are a dull person or have poor english, this is the career for you. Aim to work at Arup.

Construction & Management
These courses are the easy option, guaranteed DNs for everyone, HDs if you aren't a moron. Boring lecture material - try to distract the lecturers, they're really interesting people. dCar likes talking about how stupid politicians and students are, steve likes talking about projects he's worked on (and is deceptively smart, liek genius level smart, but it doesn't show because the material is so easy).
Try and get work experience in construction before you decide on it as a career. I did - 60hr weeks, rural placement, dealing with bogan construction workers all day, not for me. Go for big companies, there's more variation in the projects to keep it interesting.

Transport
Dull. Easy option for honours. Aim for a design consultancy, road construction is the worst job in the world.

Water
AWESOME (biased...)
Seriously, it's awesome. Hydraulics courses are easy, there's only liek 3 principles. Find a good tutor, copying off the board will get you nowhere. You must do the tutorials to not suck at this stuff. Water treatment course is crap. Hydrology with ashish and matt is fun, they have good notes. Coastal / beach is the best course ever. None of this is too easy, you have to teach yourself how to do the stuff, it's not spoonfed like in structures. Careers abound, try WRL for an awesome working environment or one of the big consultancies. Phd scholarhips everywhere.
i will need to brush up on CAD and MATLAB.
lol thanks for the civil overview anyway although im heading towards mechanical.

Mumma said:
I thought you were doing mechanical engineering?

I can be quite impulsive in my decisions, it was first Electrical, then Civil and now Mechanical (enrolled in flexible first-year).
However when I tried to enrol in 1st year Mech Eng subjects for session 2 there were severe problems so I decided to enrol in the Civil Eng subjects taking advantage of flexible first-year.
As a result of this I missed out on MMAN1300 and MMAN1130.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)