Update me on VSU (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The tax analogy is redundant for several reasons:
1. The government does not provide commercial services (and run them at a loss) when the free market is perfectly capable of providing them and making them profitable.
2. USU doesn't discriminate based on income.
3. Taxation benefits 99.9% of the population in some way, because it provides services that would not be available otherwise. USU provides services which are, in the main, a) non essential (compared to things such as roads, healthcare, education etc), and b) easily found outside the university gates (often at least partially funded by the government), and why should students, among the lowest income earners in the country, pay tax twice for the same thing?

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
The tax analogy is redundant for several reasons:
1. The government does not provide commercial services (and run them at a loss) when the free market is perfectly capable of providing them and making them profitable.
2. USU doesn't discriminate based on income.
3. Taxation benefits 99.9% of the population in some way, because it provides services that would not be available otherwise. USU provides services which are, in the main, a) non essential (compared to things such as roads, healthcare, education etc), and b) easily found outside the university gates (often at least partially funded by the government), and why should students, among the lowest income earners in the country, pay tax twice for the same thing?
your 3rd argument assumes that culture, sport and welfare are non essential to university
which assumes that university exists for your individual advantage, not as a social service of quality education

your 2nd point has validity, but doesn't really qualify VSU in any way.
the 1st seems to view our education facilities as a business or something. university culture be better if it were a part of the market?

thatjazz

HSC
maniacguy said:
Thanks for the compliment - much nicer to try discussing something with someone who doesn't start namecalling (this is a not-so-subtle hint to all and sundry in the later stages of this thread!)

I agree that most of my points end up going towards an argument that operates along the lines of "Why pay for something not directly affecting me", which probably means I should have taken a bit more care writing it. My intention was something more or less like "Why pay so much when the benefits currently being supplied are so little compared to what they could be if efficiently administered".

I'm not saying everything provided by the student associations at various universities are useless - clearly this is not true, and some services are extremely admirable. Moreover, I gather from some of the other posts that some services which at UNSW (my uni) are provided by the university (e.g. Counselling services) are provided by student associations at other universities, in which case the discussion becomes somewhat murkier.

I just feel that student unions are not the most effective way of providing these services - I think it would be better for the university to hire appropriate managers to run them, and perhaps take on students at a much lower level. My main quibble is that the services being provided are not being provided in the most effective manner.

In regards to subsidised food - that's certainly not an issue at UNSW (I can guarantee that the places near the campus provide cheaper food, and as I said in my earlier post, I think the uni could make more money by leasing the facilities out to such franchises, provided they retained one or two spots for 'healthy food' type options - these operations then act as a safeguard in case I'm wrong about the prices as well, since they can be subsidised and provide more competitive alternatives in the event of price hikes). I can't necessarily speak for other universities, though.

I consider your argument that the students have no say in the goings-on within the university to be amongst the more compelling ones against VSU - the students generally have representatives on major university decision-making bodies (e.g. university councils, but don't have the final say on any given body, so are vulnerable to sudden changes from those bodies and student associations provide the most effective lobbying group.

As I said, there are aspects of VSU in its current form that I have concerns about, and what I truly support would probably be a modified form of USU that works by proscribing what student unions can spend money on (hint: anything that does not provide on-campus direct benefits to students gets shot). I still believe it's better than the current system.

A couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you. Having been through most of my uni life now, I have become extremely disillusioned with the processes that are in place (one could argue it's the people, not the system, that I have an issue with, but quite frankly, I can't see a way to fix the system without dismantling it), which is the major cause behind my changed heart.

The system is inefficient, and changes won't occur unless it comes under genuine threat.

Oh, and I agree with you on the Government minister's comments. I tend to agree with those who suspect that the current VSU agenda is not driven by any sort of concern for students but by ideological beliefs and vendettas from decades ago when current Ministers were aspiring student politicians who discovered that the Left had control of student politics.

Whatever the motives though, it can only improve what exists now, in my view.
Maniacguy, thankyou again for bringing a different perspective to the issue. I must say, I agreed with one point you made - wherein you said that you felt the same as me 'a few years ago', and I do confess, being only 16 I am without the subjectivity in my opinions that is a University way-of-life. I do, however, feel so strongly about the issue that I do not believe my opinions can be altered in the ways that you said University life has for you.

I would like to say, however, that the irony in this situation is prevalent: I'm not willing to speculate on the positive outcomes of VSU, but am willing to speculate on my values in a few years time. I apologise for this, but surely you understand what I am getting at.

I would like to say, too, that whilst I am still very much opposed to the issue, it has indeed been a pleasure discussing an issue with such an eloquent speaker as yourself. If, at any time, you feel like getting a bit pro-War on Terror, let me know, and we can debate that one too! :cool:

MoonlightSonata said:
Maniacguy and thatjazz, can I just commend you both on your interactions above

Exemplary way to express your arguments in my opinion. Well detailed, clear, polite and fruitful. And you even complimented each other - what a pleasure it is to read!
And, MoonlightSonata, I thank you too. I do confess I allowed myself to become a little excited in subsequent posts (to the point where my immaturity dictated the ways I attacked the arguments of others), and I apologise for that, but I must say it is nice to have been told my arguments are 'well detailed, clear, polite, and fruitful'. I suppose those years of debating have finally paid off!

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
So does culture suffer under market forces?
*looks at america, japan, etc etc*
i'm not sure what that means
but it's sad that everything is reducible to 'market' forces

K

katie_tully

walrusbear said:
your 3rd argument assumes that culture, sport and welfare are non essential to university
which assumes that university exists for your individual advantage, not as a social service of quality education

your 2nd point has validity, but doesn't really qualify VSU in any way.
the 1st seems to view our education facilities as a business or something. university culture be better if it were a part of the market?
Well I was under the impression that yes, university exists for individual advantage and not as a social service of quality education. If students wish to participate in the "extra cirricular" activities that are, then that should be an individual choice. No more of forcing this idea that everybody should engage in a holistic education hoola.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I don't disagree with anything much in Asquithian's last post. But I am going to offer a different spin on it by suggesting that instead of looking at USU as a tax a la federal government, it should be looked at as a rate a la local (community) council. Because that is essentially what a university is - a community. Like any other council, we pay rates and taxes that contribute towards the maintenance and upkeep of services used throughout the community. I don't see anything wrong with that.

What I do see wrong though, is the amount students are expected to pay, and what our representatives deem to be "essential". No student should be expected to pay any more than $200 in student subscriptions in a single year. And they should be able to defer this payment for a year if their situation so demanded it.

HSC
Asquithian said:
I too think it is too high. 590 is alot of disproprotionate levy. However the counter is that it is for only a few years. You will be subjective to a number of taxes in life that are disproprotionate and unfair and that exist much longer than USU. I mean when did University Fees become proportionate to the income of the person? But its accepted since its not for a long period of time and helps perpetuate the institution...

It's just that there are so many USU and VSU people who honeslty do not have the first clue about what they arguing. Anyone who knows anything can't be bothered. just blind ideology on both sides.
Wow, you expressed yourself well and didn't call people names. Such behaviour is commendable, you make me tingle in my special place, etc.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The rate of payment of HECS is calculated relative to the income of the person, and they will not have to pay it back if they can't afford it.

EDIT: My view on VSU is not ideological, in fact before the VSU issue came in I had absolutely no clue which side of the fence I was on overall. If anything my ideological stance has stemmed from VSU, not the other way around.

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
Asquithian said:
It's just that there are so many USU and VSU people who honeslty do not have the first clue about what they arguing. Anyone who knows anything can't be bothered. just blind ideology on both sides.
i resent that
my position is ideological but not blind
i feel it's important to argue because the VSU policy clearly sucks

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The VSU policy sucks. But so does the current USU policy. Students are therefore split on the issue - many believe that we should introduce Voluntary membership, others think it should stay the way it is, and still more (such as myself) think that a middle way moderate approach is necessary.

walrusbear

HSC
Phanatical said:
The VSU policy sucks. But so does the current USU policy. Students are therefore split on the issue - many believe that we should introduce Voluntary membership, others think it should stay the way it is, and still more (such as myself) think that a middle way moderate approach is necessary.
how many people actually want USU to remain exactly as it is?
essentially i think people are just defending the notion of universal fees
i'm not sure many would dispute they can be made a LOT better

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
walrusbear said:
how many people actually want USU to remain exactly as it is?
essentially i think people are just defending the notion of universal fees
i'm not sure many would dispute they can be made a LOT better
A fair few of the major political parties on campus I would think, since they have had the chance for reform for many a year.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Several factions especially - they rely on the amount of monies they receive from students to fund their political ambitions.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
Yes.

The actual amount that has to be paid back is not determined on income. As such uni 'fees' are disproprotionate. Joe Richpants from Mosman doent pay more for his Arts degree than Joe Povo from Mt Druitt.
Joe Povo from Mt Druitt is obviously still earning above the threshhold and therefore able to afford to pay for his BA. Also the fact that degrees increase one's earning capacity significantly puts them in a rather unique situation with regards to paying it back.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
But everyone who goes to university uses the education it provides (or at least you'd hope so), and noone was comparing HECS to taxation.

Generator

HSC
N/A
A slight tangent..

At some stage we should discuss what it is that we believe makes a university a university, particularly in today's Australia (and hope that it gets by McLake with his 'article, please' by-law).

Is it an institute of higher learning and cultural enrichment? Is it an institute of further education that grants credentials? Is it an institute of higher learning and research for the public good (read: research that has practical applications)? Is it a means of lowering the youth unemployment rate? etc.

It would be an interesting debate, and quite topical given Nelson's reform agenda.

walrusbear

HSC
Generator said:
A slight tangent..

At some stage we should discuss what it is that we believe makes a university a university, particularly in today's Australia (and hope that it gets by McLake with his 'article, please' by-law).

Is it an institute of higher learning and cultural enrichment? Is it an institute of further education that grants credentials? Is it an institute of higher learning and research for the public good (read: research that has practical applications)? Is it a means of lowering the youth unemployment rate? etc.

It would be an interesting debate, and quite topical given Nelson's reform agenda.
yeah true
it's been surprising to see how varied different people's understanding of what a university 'is and should be' appears.

HSC
walrusbear said:
yeah true
it's been surprising to see how varied different people's understanding of what a university 'is and should be' appears.
Agreed (Of course Generator's post as well). I think a large part of the discussion relating to VSU is fuelled by differing expectations of University, and it's painfully obvious that we're never going to agree on it when some people see it primarily as an education and nothing else, while others value it more as a place to soak up the atmosphere, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)