Urgent - Can this course be done as a "free option"??? (1 Viewer)

Pyramid

HSC
Can ARTS1362 Thinking About Reasoning be done as a "free option" (aka "elective") in Commerce/Science?

I emailed the Business school at least a week ago, but haven't got a reply. I also managed to ring them out-of-hours, several times...lolmybad. But I do urgently need an answer as today is the last day to change courses!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't see why not. Electives are electives and that means you should be able to.

Pyramid

HSC
Me neither. I'd just hope that somebody can tell me for certain.

Pyramid

HSC
Perhaps if I go ahead and change to this course, the online system might warn me if it won't count for my degree?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't think that'd happen. Just check the handbook perhaps or something else. I'm sure the information you need is on the internet.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
My understanding is that "free option" must be taken from the faculty that's telling you to do it.
For the comm/science degree, there are prescribed number of units required from the ASB and science faculty, remainder courses (aka free options) that are leftover credits are to be taken from the respective faculty.

In short, no. But I suspect that the faculty would just let you go if you speak them, since this is just a minor issue.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
My understanding is that free option means you can do anything.
The only thing that restricts you is the requirements in the handbook for your degree.
The thing that'd be stopping you is the minimum number of ASB units and science units you have to do.

miaowsha

HSC
Free options are a course of the ASB. Things like Mgmt2725 etc. Easy/no prerequisites, or prerequisites you have filled. The definition of free option is posted on the ASB website somewhere, I remember reading it.

They should call them "ASB elective" or something less confusing. ArtsXXXX can probably be taken as a general education course though, but once again - you'd have to check on your degree page.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)