use of footnotes (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys...

two questions~ this is for critical response by the way

I was reading over the notes on the 2008 4u english major works and one of the criticisms was the fact that students used too many footnotes..So then, how many footnotes would we consider too many? I'm approaching in the mid 30's for footnotes and reaching my 3k mark..although this is only a first draft

the ideal word count for a critical response? I've heard 4000, 4500, 5000.. and I can't find a link on BOS so any help would be appreciated :)

thank youu

(please dont criticise how i wrote this post -.- it's 2am)

alax dillon

HSC
Hey guys...

two questions~ this is for critical response by the way

I was reading over the notes on the 2008 4u english major works and one of the criticisms was the fact that students used too many footnotes..So then, how many footnotes would we consider too many? I'm approaching in the mid 30's for footnotes and reaching my 3k mark..although this is only a first draft

the ideal word count for a critical response? I've heard 4000, 4500, 5000.. and I can't find a link on BOS so any help would be appreciated :)

thank youu

(please dont criticise how i wrote this post -.- it's 2am)

i thought it was the same as short story? as in 8000 words?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally I'd think 30 is a lot of footnotes already. I'd keep it under that. Then again I don't do EX2...

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
No more than 80 footnotes for the major work (so essentially no more than 4 footnotes per page). I've seen past Young Writers Showcase critical responses go to around 100, but it isn't necessary at all.

Also, no more than 15 footnotes for the reflection statement.

Personally I only did around 40 footnotes for my major work critical response and only a couple of footnotes for the reflection statement. I ended up getting 48/50.

As long as you have good content, the amount of footnotes shouldn't matter. That being said, anything less than 20 footnotes is a bit scare and might indicate to the marker a lack of referencing or research.

Edit:

My word count for my major work was around 4,500 while my reflection statement was around 1,500 (the total word count was just below 6,000).

Last edited:

alax dillon

HSC
No more than 80 footnotes for the major work (so essentially no more than 4 footnotes per page). I've seen past Young Writers Showcase critical responses go to around 100, but it isn't necessary at all.

Also, no more than 15 footnotes for the reflection statement.

Personally I only did around 40 footnotes for my major work critical response and only a couple of footnotes for the reflection statement. I ended up getting 48/50.

As long as you have good content, the amount of footnotes shouldn't matter. That being said, anything less than 20 footnotes is a bit scare and might indicate to the marker a lack of referencing or research.

Edit:

My word count for my major work was around 4,500 while my reflection statement was around 1,500 (the total word count was just below 6,000).

well done for that 48/50. thats heaps great :)

jet

Banned
HSC
By footnotes do you mean for referencing, or for non-intrusive comments to be made about a topic?

jet

Banned
HSC
Well in the humanities, referencing is done by footnotes. Generally 1 reference per 100 words is appropriate. That might be a guide as to footnote frequency.

HSC
by footnotes, i mean both..

but i have ten or so comments..

the rest are references (quite a few ibids and op cits though lol)

anyway..im on track to hit 60 ~ (42/3100 words) x 4500 = 60.97

lol..anyway thanks for your help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)