Using 4U knowledge in 3U exam? (1 Viewer)

the_king

HSC
Can i use 4U techniques in the HSC for 3U or any other 3U exam??

For Example: find area of a curve y=ln(x-1) from 2 to e+1. Its worth 4 mark and require integrating ln(x-1), so could i just use integration by parts and get the answer or do i have to do the 3U way of find in terms of y?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you can, use whatever technique is the easiest/most appropriate for the question. As long as you get the right answer with a methodical approach, that's all it matters(however do check with your teacher whether they would allow this)

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
You shouldn't need to use 4U techniques, and at my school it's frowned upon. I guess you could do it if you derived integration by parts.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
The 3U HSC is designed such that 4U knowledge will give you minimal advantage.

Also, using integration by parts will take a bit longer to do than the '3U method'

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

QZP

HSC
The 3U HSC is designed such that 4U knowledge will give you minimal advantage.

Also, using integration by parts will take a bit longer to do than the '3U method'

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Is the 3U method considering d/dx (x-1)ln(x-1) - x ? (Obtained from playing around with d/dx (x-1)ln(x-1) to eventually get it)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
strongly recommended you don't
use 3u methods in a 3u test because that's what they're testing you on

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Is the 3U method considering d/dx (x-1)ln(x-1) - x ? (Obtained from playing around with d/dx (x-1)ln(x-1) to eventually get it)
I think from what they said in their post, OP means considering the rectangle formed by the axes, y=1 and x=e+1, and then finding x in terms of y, then integrating to find the area bounded by y=1, the y axis and the given curve, and subtracting that area.
I.e. the rectangle formed has an area of e+1 units.

If we compute the integral , we can find the area between the curve and the y-axis. We can that subtract that area from the area of the rectangle to find the area between the curve and the x-axis.

Edit: Btw your method is pretty much IBP in disguise lol

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Can i use 4U techniques in the HSC for 3U or any other 3U exam??

For Example: find area of a curve y=ln(x-1) from 2 to e+1. Its worth 4 mark and require integrating ln(x-1), so could i just use integration by parts and get the answer or do i have to do the 3U way of find in terms of y?
Yes, but note what was said in the marker's comments for Q2(c)(ii) of the 2005 Extension 1 HSC paper:

"Some candidates tried to use integration by parts to do this question. However, very few were successful using this method."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)