USYD Chatter Thread 2016 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Re: USYD Chatter Thread - Semester 1 2016

I want to enrol in a second year subject next sem that requires another second year subject as a prereq

what do you think my chances are??

Silly Sausage

HSC

I want to enrol in a second year subject next sem that requires another second year subject as a prereq

What is it?

If it requires the second year subject as a prerequisite then I highly doubt you'll be able to do it.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC

What is it?

If it requires the second year subject as a prerequisite then I highly doubt you'll be able to do it.
Classical Chinese B lol

Thing is I'm sorta fluent at modern Chinese and I've always wanted to learn to old language. But to do Classical Chinese A (which is the prerequisite) I had to have done at least a year of Uni Chinese (which I couldn't have being a first year) and back then I didn't know that special permission was a thing :( :(

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

One of the alternate prerequisites for CHNS2612 is HSC Chinese for Background Speakers, so I'd imagine if you are already fluent and/or native speaker of Mandarin you should be fine.

But seeing as you say that you are "sort of" fluent, I'd be very wary of biting off more than you can chew.

madharris

HSC
N/A

How has 10 weeks of watching netflix gone by so quickly? :(

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

I'm from UNSW, but this is exactly what I would do/have already done myself to skip multiple (I think it's been 4 now) pre-requisites:

Just go up to your program coordinator and tell them of the situation and your fluency in the language.

Then go to the course convener and tell them of the situation and your fluency in the language. Get the course convener to approve your enrollment, then show it to the program coordinator who can approve your enrollment and get the school/faculty staff to override the system.

If you are proactive enough and show them that you will be able to cope, then you should be able to enrol.

Last edited:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

Ah I'm actually at the Carslaw Learning Hub most of the time, but it's coming towards the end of semester and I'm pretty much over it, so spending all day drinking at Hermann's may not be such a bad idea haha.

Sucks about the enrolment issues. What's the plan for next semester then? Seeing as you were planning to finish this semester I'm guessing there isn't much more for you to do on your thesis.
enrol next sem, hand it in, continue with life.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A

My exam timetable is missing a unit, which I have just discovered will probably also result in a clash when I receive an updated timetable. Awesome. Great. Can't wait.

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC

I've got one spare junior elective left for Commerce. Has anyone done ECON1003 or ACCT1006? What do people think about these units?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

I'd imagine ACCT1006 would be more full on as it one of the core subjects for the accounting major.

ECON1003 is an elective open to anyone, so I'd imagine it would be easier. But given the unit prohibitions, it seems that it is pretty similar in content to MATH1011/1001/1901, so I'd only take it if you are relatively confident with mathematics.

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC

Any recommendations for junior electives generally? I'm LLB/Com majoring in economics and I've done
BUSS1001, BUSS1002, BUSS1020, BUSS1030, BUSS1040, ECON1002, ECMT1020
I'm planning to do the last junior elective in semester 1 of my third year.

Also any recommendations for ECOS3xxx micro electives?

Last edited:

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC

I've got one spare junior elective left for Commerce. Has anyone done ECON1003 or ACCT1006? What do people think about these units?
I'm doing acct1006 and there's no point doing it unless you're majoring in accounting or you just *really* enjoy accounting. It isn't a wam booster by any means

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad

How's ECON1002? I'm thinking of doing it next sem as a wam booster, and also because buss1040 was sorta interesting to me. Just want to make sure it's actually a subject that I can get a high mark in.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

Any recommendations for junior electives generally? I'm LLB/Com majoring in economics and I've done
BUSS1001, BUSS1002, BUSS1020, BUSS1030, BUSS1040, ECON1002, ECMT1020
I'm planning to do the last junior elective in semester 1 of my third year.

Also any recommendations for ECOS3xxx micro electives?
INFS1000 is apparently pretty easy provided you're not completely disinterested in the topic.

How's ECON1002? I'm thinking of doing it next sem as a wam booster, and also because buss1040 was sorta interesting to me. Just want to make sure it's actually a subject that I can get a high mark in.
I did it for a week or two a few years ago.

I wouldn't consider it a WAM booster; it isn't hard, but it has all of the content and academic rigour you'd expect of a university economics subject. I'd imagine it wouldn't too different to BUSS1040 though.

I had some Greek lecturer when I did it, and he wasn't that great. But this was two years ago so I'd imagine they'd have someone different now.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

Hey so I have a question for you combined degree people/those of you in the know.

When you graduate, do you get two certificates, or one with both degrees written on it?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Hey so I have a question for you combined degree people/those of you in the know.

When you graduate, do you get two certificates, or one with both degrees written on it?
You get two certificates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)