• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Usyd is the worst uni of them all. (1 Viewer)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
golfstick said:
wow if it isn't mr optimism

just jump buddy, there is no hope for you
No offense but I finished my undergrad in 2002 and am doing my Masters and a Grad Dip ;) I have been in the over supplied IT work force looking for a job when it was at its lowest so I think I can safely say I have a pretty good idea of how things work.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea i kinda disagree with the view that UWS doesn't have industry connections, i know quite a few companies that employ people in the industries of digital media, finance, etc from UWS regulary..

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
My degree is recognised and has membership in the Australian Institue of Marketing
I think you'll find every business degree with marketing as a major would be recognised by the Institute, just like every IT degree has ACS recognition and almost every commerce/accounting type has some form of accounting recognition. Recognition is easy to get by all, the degree I did also gave me a Diploma of Market Research (along with membership of the Market Research group) and a Diploma in importing/Exporting from the various Institutes and it certainly wasn't at what most people would call "prestigious".

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Well if all degrees at all uni's get it, then whats so bad about the UWS degree
Nothing at all, but undergrads don't realise this until they hit the big bad world.

Like I said the uni might give you a minute advantage in getting an interview depending on who is screening, but if you got a low GPA at Usyd it won't stack up against someone who has a high GPA from UWS.

mack

Banned
HSC
I believe once someone graduates, it is the individuals initiative and effort that will ultimately lead to their success, not which uni they graduated from. Saying a uni is "shit" is pathetically ignorant. Cutoffs are based on supply and demand, not quality.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
My first uni went down the crapper quickly :) it still is pretty bad from what I hear, staff have very low morale and apart from one or two respected degree areas it blows pretty hard. It's also grossly mismanaged with very poor vision. I don't even put it down on my resume as having done 2 years there. But that can happen to any uni over a period of time as things do change and it only takes a few bad judgements to send it plummeting.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I'm a USYD student and I'm just as willing to criticise USYD as any other uni.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Traitor.

The world isn't as simple as many of you believe. Take every advantage that you can get, however 'unfair' it may seem.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
if my course was offerred at Maquarie or UWS i would go there... as long as the course was recognised by the AVA. For me, I didnt get to choose the uni, i just chose the course, and i would gladly trade my 3 hours travel a day for a uni closer to home, even if it was "less prestigious".

But... i wouldn't risk my education by doing a degree at a uni that has not set up its course properly yet and has no way of showing what skills it graduates graduate with... like CSU. But, if it was 10 years down the track, and the uni had proven that it can provide quality graduates to the workforce, then i would consider it along with all the others that offerred my course.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hey, that makes it older than UTS.

Anyway, please realise that university is NOT for everyone. Australia is excellent in that (unlike other first world countries) our parents don't have to scrape every Rubel they earn to send us to uni - the government picks up the tab. Who does and who doesn't go to uni is primarily based on ability, and the bulk of those that don't get in simply aren't suitable.

Sadly, a number of people who do get in are also not suitable.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Lexicographer said:
Anyway, please realise that university is NOT for everyone. Australia is excellent in that (unlike other first world countries) our parents don't have to scrape every Rubel they earn to send us to uni - the government picks up the tab. Who does and who doesn't go to uni is primarily based on ability, and the bulk of those that don't get in simply aren't suitable.

Sadly, a number of people who do get in are also not suitable.
It's a shame that the Federal Government has not been able to actively promote other career paths... It's also a shame that their trainee system has been hijacked by retail giants and the like while those fields in need of apprentices appear unwilling to make the investment. It's also a shame that the only apparent way to change this is to partially deregulate the university sector. Still, Ps get degrees, so sooner or later most vocationalised degrees will not be worth much at all... Liberal economic reform appears to offer a solution to any problem. What a system.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The federal government is funding more technical colleges...

What they really need to do is help small businesses so they can take on trainee's, my dad would love to take on trainee's but they're too dangerous if they hurt themselves he can cop a huge payout.

Generator

HSC
N/A
The technical college proposal is just another political stunt designed to limit the states' powers with respect to education. Surely a plan to improve the TAFE system overall rather than create new, largely rural/regional technical colleges would be much better for all?

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Tafe is good for sure, and it should be done.. however there is a lack of skills in rural australia.

John Howard addressed that it's wrong that all students think they have to go to university to be successful, i found that labor seemed to be jumping on the idea that we should make university accessable for everyone... i'm not in university but i'm sure it's not the kinda thing that's for everyone.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I agree, it's just that Nelson's plan reeks of financial capacity rather than merit. But, we still have the HECS-Help system, so it isn't that bad, yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)