Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Apparently plans for another strike first week of next semester

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
im getting real sick and tired of this shit! isnt there like a limit to how many times they can disrupt classes/strike??? can they be banned off the campus?

HSC
...More strikes next semester already. Fer feck's sake you'd think that such a highly regarded higher education system could sort out its little problems and get on with what's important (subjective, but we're not getting anywhere and all parties are suffering).

zxreth

HSC
Do you mean the staff or the strikers? If you banned the staff who are striking from the campus, you still won't have classes happening.

What we need is one huge event where everyone participates which would make spence sit up and take notice. As I've said before, if everyone stopped being so apathetic, or looked to the bigger issues and was less selfish about how it affected them personally, we could actually make a difference.
Good joke, all engineering classes would still run perfectly fine.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Do you mean the staff or the strikers? If you banned the staff who are striking from the campus, you still won't have classes happening.

What we need is one huge event where everyone participates which would make spence sit up and take notice. As I've said before, if everyone stopped being so apathetic, or looked to the bigger issues and was less selfish about how it affected them personally, we could actually make a difference.
banning the strikers. What we need is some of the staff to stop complaining about their little first world problems. if they dont like the way usyd runs then leave; its not hard. stop being selfish and ruining classes for those who actually wanna succeed. all of my lecturers think its a joke

zxreth

HSC
banning the strikers. What we need is some of the staff to stop complaining about their little first world problems. if they dont like the way usyd runs then leave; its not hard. stop being selfish and ruining classes for those who actually wanna succeed. all of my lecturers think its a joke
This x 1000

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm very curious to see what the % split is between striking staff and non-striking staff.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh because it's so very unreasonable to ask for decent conditions that are equal with other universities across the nation. That's super selfish. They should quit and try to find another job in another institution instead because it's oh so very easy to do that, especially since the gonski reforms have resulted in the withdrawal of billions of dollars from universities.
Conditions, which are FAR beyond the conditions of most workers in Australia and hence, it is completely selfish. To be striking and causing students to pay for something that they didn't pay for is also pure and utterly selfish.

There are around 30 universities in Australia (give or take?) - a 2 billion dollar cut split between them really isn't that bad if you manage money properly - staff asking for pay rises that are already earning well beyond what the average is earning is unreasonable. With this said, I don't agree with the cuts but I do feel that it is somewhat overly inflated.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
the strike is not just about money. take one of the pamphlets people are giving out. There's 14 different objectives on it, only one of them referring to money and speaking about super.
...I am fully aware of that - I did look at it and feel that it's complete shit, what do you think of that? I'm sorry but that's just how I see it - there are still many with much poorer conditions.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, could we please have a list of the demands here thanks.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
so stop making it about the money. reason out the other clauses as well and tell me why you think they're so unreasonable. Don't just give the 'popular' answer that's so easy to rattle off.
I'm only addressing aspects that people have posted - money is mentioned a lot and hence, I focused on that.

zxreth

HSC
Must be that time of the month again for Blue Suede the 'science' student.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I was listening to the 12:30 rally at the most recent strike and the speakers seemed to focus mostly on the money.

One of the complaints was that they haven't got a pay rise since last January. That's realy not something they should be complaining about.

EDIT: Also, when my WRIT tutor talked to us about it, she talked solely about the money. The only people that have spoken to me and haven't even mentioned the money have been the maths department.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Oh because it's so very unreasonable to ask for decent conditions that are equal with other universities across the nation. That's super selfish. They should quit and try to find another job in another institution instead because it's oh so very easy to do that, especially since the gonski reforms have resulted in the withdrawal of billions of dollars from universities.
please list these 'reasonable' requests and the comparisons to other unis. Provide evidence pls. All ive heard from the strikers is that its about money, so...

Also its unfair to those international students who have spent thousands (possibly even tens of thousands) to come here and have to deal with this shit! I know I'd be angry if it happened to me

If these strikers can afford and are allowed to have all these days off work to protest, I think its safe to assume they have some decent working conditions

Whilst I agree that the cuts from the government are bad, please explain how striking and disrupting classes, is in any way, at all, gonna solve the problem? Wouldnt protesting out the front of parliament house be more logical?

Okashi

HSC
Yes, could we please have a list of the demands here thanks.
^^ can we have this.

Aren't USYD lecturers the highest paid in the country?

I was disgusted when I heard that Spence was trying to touch the 50 days sick leave that lecturers enjoy per year. Now they can't chuck as many sickies as they did before. Completely unaustralian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)