USYD Strike (1 Viewer)

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
The biggest problem i have is what happened to the other campaign they ran back in 2012, that was far less disruptive to actual studies and they ended up achieving their aim which was to have little to no cuts to staff, why can't they run the same campaign, why does it have to involve students who don't elect to play politics with the union and the uni. I'm not exactly taking sides, but i feel like they need to find another approach to getting their point across when 3 strikes wasn't enough. I mean USyd as a whole has become so volatile.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
like don't take me the wrong way, i just feel frustration as a student esp since my subjects as a whole don't give my consideration to us, as they strike you get stuff delayed and it really stacks up in finals

Tasteless

HSC
Yes, but this reallocation of funds is coming as a result of the gonski report (afaik??) and therefore it's just being named that for convenience. I think it's formally the 'protesting against funding cuts as a result of the gonski report'.
Hmm, I don't believe the report advocated any transference of funds from the tertiary sector.

Also
THE Federal Government is warning of further budget cuts to fund school reforms, while the man behind the plan has criticised how it is being paid for.
In a rare public statement, businessman David Gonski, who chaired the review on which Labor is basing its reforms and is also chancellor of the University of NSW, questioned major cuts to tertiary funding.

The Gillard Government on the weekend announced it would funnel $2.8 billion from universities toward a $14.5 billion boost to school funding.
Last night Mr Gonski said he wasn't asked to consider how the review panel's recommendations could be paid for, declaring: "I fervently believe in and will continue to advocate that increases be made in funding the university sector."
http://www.news.com.au/national-new...tertiary-funding/story-fncynjr2-1226620288084

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I just read some of the NTEU powerpoints and I still fail to agree with what they're asking for - they even spelt "cancelled" wrong.

Why would lowering job security be a bad thing for students? Do a good job and you won't get fucking fired?
Degrade the quality of your education? It's usually mediocre anyway, honestly, it really can't get much worse.

I wonder why most sciences have not gone on strike...

With that said, I do not agree with funding cuts from university to support school because school simply has a crap return - if you invest in school, you frequently invest in students that don't care in education and that's basically a waste of money since it's like investing in dirt.

Last edited:

Tasteless

HSC
I just read some of the NTEU powerpoints and I still fail to agree with what they're asking for - they even spelt "cancelled" wrong.

Why would lowering job security be a bad thing for students? Do a good job and you won't get fucking fired?
Degrade the quality of your education? It's usually mediocre anyway, honestly, it really can't get much worse.

I wonder why most sciences have not gone on strike...
My theory would be turnover rates increase which leads to basically casualisation of the teaching staff, which inturn leads to less investment, care and quality in the education they provide?

Idk if anything supports that thought or I'm just talking shit.

Also issues with how "doing a good job" is measured in the first place.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
My theory would be turnover rates increase which leads to basically casualisation of the teaching staff, which inturn leads to less investment, care and quality in the education they provide?

Idk if anything supports that thought or I'm just talking shit.

Also issues with how "doing a good job" is measured in the first place.
But how much increase? I mean, if there's a ridiculous increase to something like changes every 2-3 months, then yes, that's a problem but I don't see that happening.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
im f*cking sick to death of these stupid strikes! some of my classes have moved from a Tuesday to the Wednesday for this week. Im unable to attend on Wednesday this week which means i miss out on a whole lot more than what i would if they didnt strike. Even if I was able to attend on Wednesday, Id have clashes everywhere. They have caused wayyyyy more damage to my education than from any changes the uni have/would've made :mad3:

The problem is that they think they know whats best for all of us. they dont. Theyre selfish lazy bums, who'd rather complain about things then do something in the real world

NOT HAPPY

/rant

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, I don't have uni on Tuesdays, so I won't be ducking/weaving protesters. ^_^

madharris

HSC
N/A
im f*cking sick to death of these stupid strikes! some of my classes have moved from a Tuesday to the Wednesday for this week. Im unable to attend on Wednesday this week which means i miss out on a whole lot more than what i would if they didnt strike. Even if I was able to attend on Wednesday, Id have clashes everywhere. They have caused wayyyyy more damage to my education than from any changes the uni have/would've made :mad3:

The problem is that they think they know whats best for all of us. they dont. Theyre selfish lazy bums, who'd rather complain about things then do something in the real world

NOT HAPPY

/rant
although I do agree with you, have you actually read what the strike's about?

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
I'm pretty sure for some it's gone beyond just a simple strike. Again not to hate what they're fighting for it's how they're doing it which pisses people off

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Honestly, i dont care anymore. i would care if it were the first time they striked however this is like the 5-6th time this has happened this semester! if it continues im gonna go to unsw, i dont have time for this shit. what is it about this time? its never ending complaints

Kurby

HSC
N/A
Honestly, i dont care anymore. i would care if it were the first time they striked however this is like the 5-6th time this has happened this semester! if it continues im gonna go to unsw, i dont have time for this shit. what is it about this time? its never ending complaints
lol Usyd is more an arts left wing school that's close to the city (that means they can march from Usyd to the city easier).

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There's something called "casual loading" - no sick leave and reduced super doesn't matter if you're a casual because you get 25% more when you are working.

Also, 3 of the 4 science classes I'm in are NOT striking - GEOS1001, PHYS1901, CHEM1901.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT. This is only the third time this semester (though there may be a fourth in a week or two). Honestly, if you can't support what's going on, you'd be better off at a different uni.
It will be the third time but it'll be the 4th day and possibly the 5th strike day so really, not too far off.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Blue Suede, I think it comes off ironic in the sense that they are, or were, telling students from the previous strikes that they are fighting for "(students) future", when they are really fighting for their own rights?

zxreth

HSC
So much butthurt in this thread, particularly from arts students i'm not going to name, names but i'm talking about Blue Suede

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
You know what? You're really pissing me off here with your lack of insight. They've moved it from Tues to Wed to give you the best chance of learning, so you don't entirely miss out on the information, and yet you're still complaining. The staff don't have a personal vendetta against you, they're trying to make the best of a bad situation where their livelihoods are being threatened. Maybe you should consider standing up for the cause and supporting it instead of being ignorant, selfish, and complaining about your individual situation. More support will make more of an impact on those the protest is against (imagine if 50 000 students supported the strike, the VC would get no choice but to take notice) but at the moment everyone is thinking of how it affects THEM and not the larger issues.

They're striking for a better future for ALL OF US. They're trying to get more job security so they CAN DO SOMETHING LIKE TEACH YOU.

Step up and do some research into what's going on.

GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT. This is only the third time this semester (though there may be a fourth in a week or two). Honestly, if you can't support what's going on, you'd be better off at a different uni.

It's the same issues that aren't getting resolved, which is why they're continuing to take action. They are NOT complaints, but very valid concerns about teaching conditions. If you were a staff member whose livelihood was being threatened, I'd hope you would be more sympathetic to the cause. But even as a student, I'm appalled that you're not standing up for your own lecturers because without them, you wouldn't have your education.
rage much

I can go to uni Tuesday but cant Wednesday due to personal reasons. therefore because of the strike and my classes thus being moved to Wednesday i miss out on even more than I would have. Im not angry at the staff, im pissed off at the people who are striking and therefore, ruining my learning experience. So I was off the number of strikes by 1, my bad. What makes you think that this time it'll be different though? maybe a different approach is needed? seems like a logical thought to me. Also just because i don't support what you're/others are doing, doesn't mean I should change unis, thats ridiculous! So far my semester spent at the uni and under these current 'poisonous' working conditions, the ONLY thing that has ruined my learning has been the strikes. Not one of my lecturers has complained about the working conditions but in fact, bagged out the people who strike. I think theyd be better off asking what 'we want' (after all, they are concerned about us right?) rather than assuming what we want. Acting like they 'know whats best for us' does nothing. also spreading propaganda like the whole university will cease to continue to operate if we dont support the strike is crazy.

RishBonjour

HSC
So much butthurt in this thread, particularly from arts students i'm not going to name, names but i'm talking about Blue Suede
haha I find it fucking hilarious how people get so passionate about strikes and 'future education'.

The problem is that students are not sufficiently informed because they are so bloody apathetic towards everything. It IS in the best interests of students to strike in order to get changes in policy and continued funding and security of staff positions.
Strikes don't really do shit (except hassle people and create inefficiency) unless the majority USYD takes part in it. Which won't happen.

And you're right, most of us aren't bothered for these.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
haha I find it fucking hilarious how people get so passionate about strikes and 'future education'.
I dont know if it's such a bad thing though - at least you know that in a bad situation, some students will stand up. I can guarantee you, at ND, the vast majority of people either dont know or dont care about uni politics and stuff. To be honest, if ND went on strike, I reckon half the students wouldnt even know about it until they actually showed up at uni (I would probably fit into this category).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)