• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

USYD vs UNSW (1 Viewer)

Always

HSC
Calm down, it's not that serious. They're both good unis. I wanted to know the differences tis all.

dora_18 said:
No i'm not, but what made you ask that anyway?Kambala sucks, Ascham trumps any day.
but you guys have the ugliest uniform ever :p

HSC
politik said:
Right. Don't know where the fuck that came from... I bet you're proud of the fight the USYD'ers have put up in this thread right? Intelligent souls, you all are. 'LOL USYD IS BETA BECAUSE NO ASIANS AND BETTER FASHION SENSE AND CLOSER TO DE CITY FOR ALCOHOL'. At least at UWS they know they're all retards. Go run for 'Senate' or something lol.
the ONLY retard here is you ...doesnt mean if your having a fight with someone you go and bring others into it as well...

stupid idiot ...

dora_18

HSC
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
It's weird how nobody ever talks about UTS and Macquarie :/
they're not that bad either, from what I've heard.
thats becuase this is the UNSW vs USYD thread :D

as for this...
politik said:
And who the fuck designed your new law school? A bear?
and you call me an retard?? ahhh the irony!!

and don't compare a law and science building...you just took the 2 and ONLY nice features of UNSW...but the main campus at USYD is awesome(sure theres some ugly parts but overall its pretty)-sorry can't be argued. Deal with it.

Last edited:

dora_18

HSC
Always said:
but you guys have the ugliest uniform ever
Lol, still trumps :p,They're all ugly if you ask me...don't mind ours that much, but yeh id prefer kembalas.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Campus aesthetics - Having attended both universities, the external campus aesthetics at USyd would be my preference. Whether it be enjoying the sun while overlooking the lawn or sitting under an arch in the quadrangle, the environment is very pleasant. Although, it takes forever to get from one side of the uni to the other. Hiking from Wallace to the Economics and Business building is an absolute pain.

Also, USyd interiors are generally old and not very appealing. USyd's Carslaw lecture theatres house some of the most torturous seats ever created by man. I think UNSW really has the edge in terms of interior. We seem to be more up-to-date. But on the outside, USyd is magnificent. (The exception is our new law building, which on the outside completely trumps the USyd 'office-block' design of their new law building.)

Campus food - UNSW has far more places to eat, with much greater diversity, than USyd. The eateries at USyd are both limited and bad.

Social life - UNSW I think is generally friendlier. USyd has social events but you have to put yourself out there and search them out. If you join Subski or some such club with a bunch of friends then you have a good start. But I think at UNSW there are more opportunities all around you. There are plenty of socities at each uni to find people with common interests. One thing is that, because UNSW is more compacted, and more urban, you find you bump into people more than at USyd.

Transport - USyd is convenient to get to from Central - just a quick 10 minute bus ride. UNSW does have dedicated, express buses to uni however, which also makes travel easy.

Student attractiveness - Depends on your taste, because at UNSW, 50% of people are from non-English speaking backgrounds, where as at USyd I think it is something like 35-40%. Generally I think the ratios of attractive people are fairly similar, but in my opinion USyd's Arts students generally can't be beaten on numbers. Especially the Psych girls. On the other hand if you like Asian guys or girls then by sheer numbers UNSW probably has more hot ones. Other than that, both unis are fairly equal.

Timetables - USyd's system is terrible. Highly inflexible because you can pretty much only select times when you aren't available and let the system generate a timetable around that. You have to go all the way in to the student centre to customise it. UNSW you can customise everything - all your classes - exactly the way you want it, all online. It is extremely efficient and convenient. You can also perform many other functions using the UNSW system, like picking up and dropping subjects, etc.

Lecturers - Depends on the faculty, but generally both unis have a mix of good and bad lecturers. Certainly for law at UNSW, I have been fortunate to have had good lectuers. But there were some fine teachers at USyd also. David Braden-Mitchel in the USyd philosophy department is probably the most memorable and entertaining teacher I've had in a long time. It's really a roll of the dice wherever you go. Although, UNSW has a far more advanced timetable system, so you can find out just who is teaching what and specifically choose certain classes with decent teachers.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I laughed at Politiks comment about a bear. It's funny because it's true.

Lastly, USyd looks like complete crap in that photo that was posted. If you want to make your university look good, at least find a good picture.

That's one building. Apart from that, there's a nice medicine building, Victoria Park and not much else. Oh, they have that hideous monolithic library "stack".

Bendent

HSC
dora_18 said:
thats becuase this is the UNSW vs USYD thread :D

as for this...

and you call me an retard?? ahhh the irony!!

and don't compare a law and science building...you just took the 2 and ONLY nice features of UNSW...but the main campus at USYD is awesome(sure theres some ugly parts but overall its pretty)-sorry can't be argued. Deal with it.
no i went there. the quad at usyd sucks.

Always

HSC
Thanks, MoonlightSonata, that was really helpful.

I've only been to UNSW so I don't remember it too well but yeah, the interiors at USYD are rather dank and antique I thought. Who knows where I'll end up.

dora_18 said:
Lol, still trumps :p,They're all ugly if you ask me...don't mind ours that much, but yeh id prefer kembalas.
Queenwood, Loreto and Wenona have nice uniforms. Kambala too. Ascham's is the worst by private school standards ;) but you guys do okay in the hsc and I guess that's all that matters.

dora_18

HSC
Always said:
Thanks, MoonlightSonata, that was really helpful.

I've only been to UNSW so I don't remember it too well but yeah, the interiors at USYD are rather dank and antique I thought. Who knows where I'll end up.

Queenwood, Loreto and Wenona have nice uniforms. Kambala too. Ascham's is the worst by private school standards ;) but you guys do okay in the hsc and I guess that's all that matters.
yeah i love queenwoods uniforms loreto is good too,you'd think they give us something better for 20K a yr though.
But oh well, schools over- i dont have to wear it anymore :p

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
The location of USyd's current law building 'pwns' anything our law building can do though. It puzzles me why they'd considering moving in back to Redfern.

dora_18

HSC
politik said:
Uh, I wasn't comparing a law and science building. You see, the second image is UNSW's law building.

Oh and if you didn't get it, Bear's aren't good at architecture. Hence the gibe at USYD's new law faculty.
I got it, i just didn't find it particulary amusing. Big difference.
Great attempt at an insult though!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I guess USyd students are devoid of humour then. It doesn't surprise me. If I had to walk through Redfern everyday, I'd be devoid of that sense as well.

dora_18

HSC
politik said:
I know it was a great attempt. I made it. Shit attempt at sarcasm though.
I love people who make great attempts and fail. Keep doing that-highly amusing.

Conspirocy

HSC
lol

okay seriously, the difference between the uni's is so small that it doesn't really make a difference...

of course people will defend the uni they go to, because u probably choose the uni that reflects a part of urself

i like the lazy days i have at unsw, around the library lawn...im sure u could do that at any uni

like who cares what a building looks like...its not like its ur house that u have to show people

good reasons for picking a uni would be
- its close to where u live
- it has the course u want to do
- u have friends who are going there
- it has a good reputation (both these uni's do)
prolly heaps of others

personally for me, i wanted to avoid private school people (i went to one) i just wanted a different feel...so i didnt go to usyd (even though they are everywhere there are less at unsw or u dont see them as much)

as for the asian thing, well yeah i got nothing on that...easy marks for oral presentations if ur not...hahaha kiddin

omg sorry how annoying is it that they took all the law books out of the library and moved them into the new law building!! what are us commerce students supposed to do

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)